CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: Need Help Finding a Suitable Aviator

Post by ianblyth »

Peteo wrote:the Battle of Britain (too small)
The C5 range wear larger than you would think for a 38mm watch. I had the same problem when I saw them as I was weraing 40/42 watches but I was surprised at how good they looked on the wrist.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
TrevorB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by TrevorB »

I've recently aquired a C8 Mk1 after a lot of hesitation. I was REALLY worried about the size of it, but now that I've worn it I must say I'm surprised and delighted that it's fine. Large yes, but just looks great on my not particularly big wrist.

If the C8 is the one you fancy I'd go ahead and get one. You can always fall back on the 60/60. And if you've been looking at on-the-wrist photos, bear in mind that in my view, they generally look bigger than they actually are.

Cheers.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

Peteo,
I know you discounted Stowa and specified cream/brown/white, but I wondered if you had considered the grey (rhodinised) dialed 40mm Fleiger, the Ikarus, at €487.

I think it's really sharp.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

NMS75 wrote:Peteo

You mention Archimede don't meet your criteria but I think they do a watch that does :)

Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement, 42mm case, 9.9mm thick, white face with a choice of black, brown or tan leather strap and only 385 Euros. Worth a look my friend.
Yeah, I only put white as an afterthought. It's a distant third to cream or brown. Not because I don't like it but because I already have two other white faced watches and don't really want a third. If that same watch were cream or brown, I probably would have one already. Still, I'm looking at IRL photos on the web of the Pilot W, and it does look nice.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

ianblyth wrote:
Peteo wrote:the Battle of Britain (too small)
The C5 range wear larger than you would think for a 38mm watch. I had the same problem when I saw them as I was weraing 40/42 watches but I was surprised at how good they looked on the wrist.
Yeah, I have a C5 Malvern, and I think you're right that it doesn't wear too small, but I'm holding out hope that I can find something that wows me in the 40-42 range. And if it got to the point that I looked at CW again, I think I'd take a chance on the C8 before I went with a C5A.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

Loddonite wrote:Peteo,
I know you discounted Stowa and specified cream/brown/white, but I wondered if you had considered the grey (rhodinised) dialed 40mm Fleiger, the Ikarus, at €487.

I think it's really sharp.
Yeah, when I first saw the Ikarus, I was wowed by it, but the more I look at it, the more I wonder if I'd really love it. And since Stowa doesn't have CW's return policy, I'm reluctant. I think that the Web site shots actually look better than the IRL photos that I've seen. It looks like it wears a bit chunky.
Peteo
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

TrevorB wrote:I've recently aquired a C8 Mk1 after a lot of hesitation. I was REALLY worried about the size of it, but now that I've worn it I must say I'm surprised and delighted that it's fine. Large yes, but just looks great on my not particularly big wrist.

If the C8 is the one you fancy I'd go ahead and get one. You can always fall back on the 60/60. And if you've been looking at on-the-wrist photos, bear in mind that in my view, they generally look bigger than they actually are.

Cheers.
That's reassuring, and you're not the first person to mention that the C8 wears well for a 44mm. How big is your wrist?
Peteo
TrevorB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by TrevorB »

Peteo wrote: That's reassuring, and you're not the first person to mention that the C8 wears well for a 44mm. How big is your wrist?
Just measured roughly, seems to be about 7 inches. I would say the C8 would still be OK on a very slightly smaller wrist than that even.

What's your wrist?

Cheers,

Trevor.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

TrevorB wrote:
Peteo wrote: That's reassuring, and you're not the first person to mention that the C8 wears well for a 44mm. How big is your wrist?
Just measured roughly, seems to be about 7 inches. I would say the C8 would still be OK on a very slightly smaller wrist than that even.

What's your wrist?

Cheers,

Trevor.
Mine is somewhere between 6.5 and 7. Gives me hope. Thanks. I'd like to branch out a little bit to other makes though. And since the C8 MK II doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon, I think I have some time to hold out.
Peteo
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

atnits wrote:and the cream one:

I like how the cream Seiko looks, but I've already got a Seiko 5 in the collection, and while I like it, I don't quite like it enough to get another one.
Peteo