scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Frustrating service...

Post by scooter »

On a similar vein I spent £1299 on a brand new Apple Macbook Pro M1 on November 20 2020.

Over the next 60 days I noticed little niggles until January 20 when I ended up telephoning both John Lewis and Apple for support. By January 22 it had died completely.

John Lewis would not entertain a refund and Apple said my recourse was with JL and not Apple.

On February 2 the laptop was collected and sent via JL to Communications Test Design Inc who yesterday returned it hopefully fixed.

Right now I have no interest in it but I shall have to test it soon although the whole experience has left me rather disappointed to say the least.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I'd suggest that anyone who thinks that they are receiving poor service relating to any item they have bought from a UK company first reads up on the Consumer Rights Act 2015, THEN has a conversation with the supplier. Warranties etc. are very nice, but they are not a substitute for legal rights.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Having gone to the trouble of pushing the issue to the point where Mike France gets involved and sends a replacement watch why didn't you get him involved again when that 2nd watch had mis-aligned hands ?

I can understand the fatigue that you were probably feeling at that point with CW quality, so no criticism of your actions, but MF obviously knew the 2nd watch was sent to you so why not tell him that was also poorly finished and that if CW couldn't find a perfect watch then a full refund was appropriate?

The watch wasn't cheap so I would have pushed MF on the poor quality of the replacement watch.
Watchgeek

Post by Watchgeek »

I was so tired of the situation, I just wanted rid of it...and after that I purged all of my CW collection, you could say that was a tad too far but it had been an exhausting slog getting as far as I did with the C60 1000 (I left out a lot of the email conversations in my story), I was exhausted and I had mentally given up on CW...honestly...I just wanted to be rid of it. Don’t forget this was watch number 4 of tosh by now and if had 5+ months of it....I take your point but I had given up.
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

Not ready to give up on the brand yet but like I said before I don’t think I’ll be jumping into any new purchases anytime soon.
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

WalterSMonaco wrote:Not ready to give up on the brand yet but like I said before I don’t think I’ll be jumping into any new purchases anytime soon.
I’d pick up the phone and politely explain why you’re frustrated.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Watchgeek wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:36 pm I was so tired of the situation, I just wanted rid of it...and after that I purged all of my CW collection, you could say that was a tad too far but it had been an exhausting slog getting as far as I did with the C60 1000 (I left out a lot of the email conversations in my story), I was exhausted and I had mentally given up on CW...honestly...I just wanted to be rid of it. Don’t forget this was watch number 4 of tosh by now and if had 5+ months of it....I take your point but I had given up.
Understandable.
Robotaz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 am
WalterSMonaco wrote:Not ready to give up on the brand yet but like I said before I don’t think I’ll be jumping into any new purchases anytime soon.
I’d pick up the phone and politely explain why you’re frustrated.
Problem being that the phone call might only connect to somebody that has insufficient power to do anything about it and probably they wouldn't pass the call over to MF. If not already done I'd email MF to explain the level of frustration and how that damaged the relationship with CW and the products despite his previous involvement. Maybe Watchgeek has already done that and just wants to give up and close this off so I'll comment no more.
steenan

Post by steenan »

I’d be interested to see some pictures of the misalignment if you guys have them. I was about to pull the trigger on an Elite 1000 in black, but experiences like these do give pause for thought...

To contrast experiences, I bought a Steinhart pilot in bronze last year, and wasn’t sure if I could pull off the 47mm or if I should stick to the 44mm. The 44mm was definitely enough, so the 47mm went back for a no quibble refund, having been tried on a couple of times, but with the stickers and tags still fully intact.
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

Here is a pic of mine. Not insignificant. Again I understand these thing happen but I don’t know how this got past the technician

28458E67-D0E0-4C11-A3BC-118C2B496966.jpeg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photo 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

It is not unheard of (in fact, it seems quite common across numerous brands) for the 2893 GMT hand to become unaligned during transit. So, it is quite possible that this watch was good when it left CW.

I'm not saying for a fact that this is what happened in your case, but it seems very plausible.
Richard
steenan

Post by steenan »

Wow - definitely not insignificant! Having done a quick search, it does seem a reasonably common complaint for that movement.

@watchgeek was yours also a GMT or a regular elite 1000?
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

steenan wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 pm Wow - definitely not insignificant! Having done a quick search, it does seem a reasonably common complaint for that movement.

Well, although there's a few reports, I guess we have no real clue of how common it really is - in comparison to the number of 2893 based watches that are shipped around the world.
Richard
steenan

Post by steenan »

Digging a little further, consistently off indicates poor hand alignment, off by a variable amount would mean the movement was at fault.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

steenan wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 pm Wow - definitely not insignificant! Having done a quick search, it does seem a reasonably common complaint for that movement.

Good question for @Watchgeek. :thumbup:

The OP's watch is/was a GMT and thus one might assume @Watchgeek's is likewise however in his initial post he does not specify and the
Watchgeek wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:32 pm . . . . . . . . . . I purchased a CW trident elite 1000 titanium, I think it was about £1400 when . . . . . . . . . .
. . . could be either a three hander on bracelet or GMT on strap. :-k :-k

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

steenan wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:14 pm Digging a little further, consistently off indicates poor hand alignment, off by a variable amount would mean the movement was at fault.
It is definitely consistent therefore I suspect a hand issue not a movement issue. I did consider the possibility things got loosened up during transit but no way to tell at this point
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT