Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Re: Movement accuracy

Post by widge34 »

rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:40 pm
widge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:26 am which is very similar in quality
Your words not mine. They are not similar IMO.
Your words were equal if you read further into your reply
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

widge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:44 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:40 pm
widge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:26 am which is very similar in quality
Your words not mine. They are not similar IMO.
Your words were equal if you read further into your reply
Not even what I said. I said you get a lot for the money in the San Martin. I also said that when you look closer they are night and day. Not equal or similar.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
widge34
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by widge34 »

rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:26 pm You get a hell of a lot for your money in the San Martin but saying the quality is equal to the C60 is overstating it a bit.
Here you go
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:26 pm saying the quality is equal to the C60 is overstating it a bit.
What exactly do you think this means?
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
widge34
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by widge34 »

But i didnt say it was equal to. Which part of the sentence don't you understand?? I said similar to
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

widge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:35 pm Who the hell is Wiggles?
He was 20 seconds late but still within tolerance.

Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

widge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:26 am Ive just purchased a San Martin dive watch which is a homage to the Seiko 62mas. For a £130 watch its stunning. Well built, nicely polished and brushed case, domed sapphire glass, ceramic bezel that actually lines up, great case back and superb lume.
The watch has the Seiko n35a movement and its been running +1spd.

Now my CW C600 which cost five times the San Martin runs at +13spd.

Why is it that a Chinese company can rugulate a movement so well and produce a great quality watch, which is very similar in quality to the CW600 for £130, and CW/ Sellita can't?

I know the Sellita is within its spec, but surely CW can regulate the watch better than 13 seconds?

Its not just CW i know. Many other Swiss made watches arne't great either
Did they actually regulate the movement or did you just get lucky?
Reviews on their site say one was -3 and another -22, so maybe it isn't.

Knocking a homage watch out in China and spending little on design and development probably leads to much lower operating costs than CW.

Enjoy the bargain you have received :thumbup: . Personally I don't think this should mean that a CW is not worth the money they cost as they can compete with many others on price and spec.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Lawrence wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:42 pm
:clap: :lol:
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

1. I have never worried about seconds per 24 hours accuracy in any watch I've owned past or present. It's all in the look for me and I like to see the word Chronometer on any dial.

2. On cheap movements compared to less-cheap movements it might be interesting - if you ever cared about such matters - to compare their timekeeping accuracy five, ten and twenty years down the line. In much the same way it would be interesting to compare the attitude of the manufacturer to service and repairs at similar time intervals.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Lawrence wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:42 pm

I just did a spit take with my beer! :clap: :lol:
Drew
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I have no personal experience of San Martin watches, but they seem to be decent for the price as long as you like a "homage". Clearly many people do, But I've never seen that they (or any reviewers) claim that they are regulated. So the basic argument is spurious. The NH35 IS a good movement and although the stated tolerances are quite broad, they are often (usually?) performing much better.
There seems to be a constant drip of people coming on the forum to moan about CW watches compared to brand X. Now that's fine, we live in free democracy, there are some great value watches out there and hopefully we can learn something here, but - just for the sake of variety I'd love it if someone came on to tell us how fantastic it was that their 15 year old Chinese watch was working really well, keeping great time and how much they still loved it. Just saying.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

widge34 wrote:Ive just purchased a San Martin dive watch which is a homage to the Seiko 62mas. For a £130 watch its stunning. Well built, nicely polished and brushed case, domed sapphire glass, ceramic bezel that actually lines up, great case back and superb lume.
The watch has the Seiko n35a movement and its been running +1spd.

Now my CW C600 which cost five times the San Martin runs at +13spd.

Why is it that a Chinese company can rugulate a movement so well and produce a great quality watch, which is very similar in quality to the CW600 for £130, and CW/ Sellita can't?

I know the Sellita is within its spec, but surely CW can regulate the watch better than 13 seconds?

Its not just CW i know. Many other Swiss made watches arne't great either
You're San Martin was probably a freak accident Image. They sure as hell don't regulate the movements at their prices. The Seiko NH35/36 family has stated tolerances of.... About +35 to -25 seconds per day or so. I believe that's what Seiko manuals say. Some actually say it's more like +40 -20 spd. Anything in that range is considered A OK.

The Selitta SW-200-1 that CW uses has a stated tolerance of + 20 to - 20 seconds per day. Anything in that range is in spec. Sellita does sell that movement in more accurate grades...but they cost more. All that cost will be passed onto you.

CW COULD try and regulate each and every movement they buy. That costs time and money. Your average watchmaker generally cshrges between $50 and $150 USD for that service and it generally takes at least a day. Good ones will get the movement to 80% charge or fully wound, adjust in multiple positions, watch the movement for a few days to check for positional variance and for any unusual isochronism, and put the watch on a winder and see how it does there. It's a lot more than pushing an adjustment lever/turning the adjustment screw a bit and seeing what the timegrapher says. If you want it done right, it takes a bit. If you want it rushed and potentially leaving you with a movement that exhibits INCREDIBLE positional variance...... it's fast and cheapImage

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

exHowfener wrote:I have no personal experience of San Martin watches, but they seem to be decent for the price as long as you like a "homage". Clearly many people do, But I've never seen that they (or any reviewers) claim that they are regulated. So the basic argument is spurious. The NH35 IS a good movement and although the stated tolerances are quite broad, they are often (usually?) performing much better.
There seems to be a constant drip of people coming on the forum to moan about CW watches compared to brand X. Now that's fine, we live in free democracy, there are some great value watches out there and hopefully we can learn something here, but - just for the sake of variety I'd love it if someone came on to tell us how fantastic it was that their 15 year old Chinese watch was working really well, keeping great time and how much they still loved it. Just saying.
Yep. As for homages, once they set costing more than about $200 and are Chinese branded.... Count me out.

After that, it'll be Steinhart or Squale and that's it.

I've found Heimdallr to be a fun homage brand. Neat little shark logo, great orocesz and pretty good build quality and a 2 year warranty. I think everything they sell is under $180.

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

tikkathree wrote:1. I have never worried about seconds per 24 hours accuracy in any watch I've owned past or present. It's all in the look for me and I like to see the word Chronometer on any dial.

2. On cheap movements compared to less-cheap movements it might be interesting - if you ever cared about such matters - to compare their timekeeping accuracy five, ten and twenty years down the line. In much the same way it would be interesting to compare the attitude of the manufacturer to service and repairs at similar time intervals.
Correct. You want something mechanical and accurate to a stated tolerance.... You're going to pay for it. Be that a Chronometer certificate, ISO certificate, or generic manufacturer promise.

Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

What, who, when? How?
Banned? Surely not?
A Fake Avatar I presume? [-X
Steve.