Frustrating service...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Frustrating service...

Post by WalterSMonaco »

I just received my GMT back from CW after they repaired the misaligned hour hand. It took four months. I understand the delay with the current situation, however after opening the package I have discovered that the GMT hand is now badly misaligned. I’m sure CW would repair in under the 60/60 warranty but then it will be gone another 4 months. I like the brand but starting to get frustrated. I bought the watch a year ago and it been out of commission 4 months.
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Frustrating service...

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

In what way is the GMT hand 'badly aligned'?

When I got my C60 Elite GMT last year, I wound and set it, then tried to set the GMT hand for +7hrs. It wouldn't line up being about 20 minutes out.

However, having left the watch on the side, running, for a couple of hours I went back to it and found the GMT hand had self-corrected and was now in alignment.

I can only presume that there was some slop in the movement, which got taken up with running.

I hope that makes sense and is of help.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

When the hour hand is lined up with the marker the GMT hand is about 1/5 of the way off. I’ll try keeping it on its side and see if it corrects
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Just to clarify.

I didn't leave the watch on its side, it was on the side (actually the kitchen worktop) in a normal face up position.

Guy

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

On the side of the kitchen worktop?

Which side?

Just looking at my kitchen worktops and there's the top, the underside (which is hidden) and the front edge and in one case, a side edge: was it any of these? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't recommend leaving a watch on a kitchen worktop: it might be mistaken for an ingredient :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:21 am Just to clarify.

I didn't leave the watch on its side, it was on the side (actually the kitchen worktop) in a normal face up position.

Guy

C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I haven't got a GMT but does the GMT hand set relative to the real hour, or independently of the the hour.

ie, if it was 8:20, and you tried to set it to 11, would it automatically set to the equivalent position for 11:20, or would it actually set to dead on 11?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^It would set to 11.20

Mine always did.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

I emailed CW ...

They are taking it back again for repair. I estimate another 4 months. That will bring me to eight months without my watch and I only got it last January. I do have other watches but frustrating nonetheless.
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

WalterSMonaco wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:16 pm I emailed CW ...

They are taking it back again for repair. I estimate another 4 months. That will bring me to eight months without my watch and I only got it last January. I do have other watches but frustrating nonetheless.
Why bother? Ask for a replacement or a refund.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Watchgeek

Post by Watchgeek »

Hi all, never posted a message on here before but wanted to as this thread has struck such a chord with me. I have had about 20 Christopher wards, stumbling over the brand about 7 years ago. My most treasured CW watch, my Mk1 trident. I have seen the brand grow and had developed a deep attachment to the brand however over the 3-4 years I have watched with sadness as in my mind it had gone into decline. The issue...quality...my last CW’s have all had issues...misaligned bezels..misaligned hands..gmt hands doing all kinds of wrong...the latest problem is why I chose never to buy a CW again. I purchased a CW trident elite 1000 titanium, I think it was about £1400 when I purchased it almost a year ago. It arrived and it was clear the hands were not in alignment... and with the hour hand having such a fine arrow at the end it was really obvious. So I send the watch back and I’m instantly refused a replacement despite all plastic wrapping and tags in place, I only tried it on once. So, away goes the watch...and around 5 months later it comes back....now that was during the first lockdown so fair enough might be a little delayed, for me though 5 months is still too long..(we have all had to work in some form during C19, CW is no exception)...anyways, how was the watch?..it had a huge pice of “stuff” on the face...so after 5 months my watch had been contaminated with something (not dust) and I’m in no better position...so I call customer services and all I’m offered is ANOTHER REPAIR!! At this point after 5 months...little to no updates from customer service folks..my last option was to email Mike France, which I did and to his credit he replied and after several back and forthwith emails the watch was returned and a new replacement sent to me. I’d like to say that’s the end but will finish on this, that replacement watch left me where I started...MISALIGNED HANDS! In the end the watch met it’s demise on eBay..and I finished at a significant loss to what I payed. Now I have followed this forum for many years, I have followed the brand too...and I have to say guys, for me..CW is not what it used to be...it’s grown too fast, quality had nosedived and the price had crept up..it’s with great sadness that I have to say, with the quality issues they have CW doesn’t represent the value proposition that they once did...I still love my trident but emotionally I have said goodbye to CW, they have had plenty of chances with my last purchased but the quality just isn’t there anymore, neither is the service. The reason why repair takes months is that they have so many returns, that’s the truth of it...it was 3 months before C19 happened.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

I guess CW buyers should consider simply returning watches for a refund. It seems repair/replace doesn’t work out well for the buyer at times, so maybe just buy a watch and return it for refund if it’s not perfect.
Watchgeek

Post by Watchgeek »

I think you are right, and as a customer you just shouldnt have to have a brand new watch repaired. One detail of my story I left out, when I was refused a replacement on the first watch...I was also told I wouldn’t get a refund, like I said, I only put it on once for 2-3 minutes. I was told I would only be offered £900 if I wanted my money back (wonder where newly new ones are from in sales?). Which is I why I went ahead with first repair. So, getting your money back is not straightforward these days. In a way, CW have done me a favour, at one point I was almost fanatical about the brand...now I’d say my collection is so much more interesting, having too much of one thing is never a good idea. Have respect for all folks thoughts and knowledge that has been shared on this forum, I guess maybe where I see things differently than most who post is that i have moved away from CW.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Watchgeek wrote:I think you are right, and as a customer you just shouldnt have to have a brand new watch repaired. One detail of my story I left out, when I was refused a replacement on the first watch...I was also told I wouldn’t get a refund, like I said, I only put it on once for 2-3 minutes. I was told I would only be offered £900 if I wanted my money back (wonder where newly new ones are from in sales?). Which is I why I went ahead with first repair. So, getting your money back is not straightforward these days. In a way, CW have done me a favour, at one point I was almost fanatical about the brand...now I’d say my collection is so much more interesting, having too much of one thing is never a good idea. Have respect for all folks thoughts and knowledge that has been shared on this forum, I guess maybe where I see things differently than most who post is that i have moved away from CW.
So you’re saying with absolutely no signs of wear, no tags removed, etc., they refused a full refund? That’s not right.
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

I’m way outside my 60 day return. The watch worked great for about six months then started having issues. So I doubt I’m entitled to a refund. How they sent a watch out with the GMT out of line when it was in for an alignment issue boggles me. Regardless this experience has dampened my enthusiasm for the brand. Once repaired I’ll probably put it up on eBay. I’ll still hold on to my SH21 and hope for better luck.
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Watchgeek

Post by Watchgeek »

To reply to previous post. Yes, I returned the watch as supplied, it was implied by CW that I had worn it but I hadn’t other than trying on once. I can hand on heart say the watch was sent back as supplied. I did notice the clasp has a design defect which causes it to rub on the bracelet but since the watch came rattling around in the box and titanium scratches so easily, I can only imagine that was their (CW) basis......it was hugely unpleasant and CW attitude was just “tough”...from the lack of ownership of the issue, to the implication I had worn the watch (causing wear and tear)..and ultimately £1400 on something that needed repairing twice with no wrist time...what can I say...as an aside, I recently pulled the trigger on a black bay fifty eight (blue) drop dead gorgeous...I can totally recommend that... now that is value for money...