The Design DNA of Christopher Ward

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bb-mobile

Re: The Design DNA of Christopher Ward

Post by bb-mobile »

Sorry @bb-mobile. I tried to quote your idea in my post but it came out wrong.
It’s all good. I’m still trying to get to grips with the forum format myself 😬
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

bb-mobile wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:53 pm
Sorry @bb-mobile. I tried to quote your idea in my post but it came out wrong.
It’s all good. I’m still trying to get to grips with the forum format myself 😬
Great that you are editing quotes down to the bits you want, as opposed to quoting whole posts.

However, you must make sure that the "end quote" tag ( [/quote] ) remains at the end of the bit you have quoted, or your reply will appear in the quote callout box.

PS. All is not lost even if you press SUBMIT. At the top right of your submitted post is a little pencil icon - the "EDIT" button. Click that and you can edit and resave your own post.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

The more I follow CW as a brand, as well as keeping up to speed with their output, the more I feel they are not overly consumed with the notion of Strong design DNA. I think the brand as it stands today is more concerned by having a full order book. It is particularly aware of the current pervasive watch buying trends, eg divers, vintage and military being the big three. The C60 Trident seems to be a very good dive offering, with outstanding build quality and value for money at that price point. It has gone through three iterations and seen changes to each subsequent model. The C65 range has the vintage cues, as well as military connection. The biggest failing for me on the C65 range, many of which are lovely, period-looking pieces, is the thoroughly modern branding which looks completely out of place with box crystals, period hands and vintage lume etc.

CW's modus operandi was making 'Swiss luxury watches affordable to everyone', which I think was a very worthy and commendable business model. Given the fact that they have been around for a number of years now, I think that they are well and truly at a crossroads. Do they continue to operate as they are presently doing, with some comparing them to a more sophisticated version of DW or similar; or do they look to cement some of the traits that they have done SO well from a couple of their stronger lines?

I, personally, will continue to keep a very close eye on what CW does. They are not a perfect fit for me at present, although I have come close on occasion to joining the owner's club. I can't think of a brand that has done more to awaken the desire of perhaps owning a first Swiss mechanical watch, at a price point that is attainable to many. CW should be applauded for that, perhaps now it's time to think more on the issue of that strong design DNA.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:03 pm The more I follow CW as a brand, as well as keeping up to speed with their output, the more I feel they are not overly consumed with the notion of Strong design DNA. I think the brand as it stands today is more concerned by having a full order book. It is particularly aware of the current pervasive watch buying trends, eg divers, vintage and military being the big three. The C60 Trident seems to be a very good dive offering, with outstanding build quality and value for money at that price point. It has gone through three iterations and seen changes to each subsequent model. The C65 range has the vintage cues, as well as military connection. The biggest failing for me on the C65 range, many of which are lovely, period-looking pieces, is the thoroughly modern branding which looks completely out of place with box crystals, period hands and vintage lume etc.

CW's modus operandi was making 'Swiss luxury watches affordable to everyone', which I think was a very worthy and commendable business model. Given the fact that they have been around for a number of years now, I think that they are well and truly at a crossroads. Do they continue to operate as they are presently doing, with some comparing them to a more sophisticated version of DW or similar; or do they look to cement some of the traits that they have done SO well from a couple of their stronger lines?

I, personally, will continue to keep a very close eye on what CW does. They are not a perfect fit for me at present, although I have come close on occasion to joining the owner's club. I can't think of a brand that has done more to awaken the desire of perhaps owning a first Swiss mechanical watch, at a price point that is attainable to many. CW should be applauded for that, perhaps now it's time to think more on the issue of that strong design DNA.
I think you’ve perfectly captured the intent of the discussion when I started this thread.

I’m curious to know if there’s a correlation with where CW seems to be right now and the eponymous CW leaving the company!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

strapline wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:03 pm I think the brand as it stands today is more concerned by having a full order book. It is particularly aware of the current pervasive watch buying trends, eg divers, vintage and military being the big three.
Catch-22. As a small company if you don’t fill your order books you don’t survive. Or, you might survive but you won’t grow. So you give them what it appears they want.

At some point, if you want to become an iconic and leading brand, you will need to lead. Take the horse to the front of the cart and let it pull instead of pushing from behind. Grab the punters by the nose ring and TELL THEM WHAT THEY WANT. And we all know companies that are very good at making you believe that you really really really want their product. :wink:

The dilemma is how to achieve that in an economically viable way in the current oversaturated market. :ka:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:24 pm
I think you’ve perfectly captured the intent of the discussion when I started this thread.

I’m curious to know if there’s a correlation with where CW seems to be right now and the eponymous CW leaving the company!
Thank you Andrew, I reread the thread right from your OP, As I've said elsewhere, I enjoy this type of discussion and I like the fact that users can sympathetically express their view on the brand without incurring bad feeling. I do not own a CW but I like much of what the brand does. If I was an owner it would be me that was starting this type of conversation, largely out of wanting to see the the brand progress and evolve. There are many senior former members on here, part of the old guard, that have seen the comings and goings on this brand since its genesis; they would be far better placed to answer the point you make about the 'eponymous CW leaving the company'.

Thanks again for a very thought provoking thread.

Des
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:15 pm At some point, if you want to become an iconic and leading brand, you will need to lead.
The dilemma is how to achieve that in an economically viable way in the current oversaturated market. :ka:
Perhaps this is it Steve; perhaps CW is perfectly happy with where it sits in the watchmaking fraternity. Maybe somewhere in the CW safe sits an old piece of papyrus with the company ethos nicely scribed in the ink of a fine fountain pen. That ethos or mission statement might just read, 'we're happy to be contenders, at the races so to speak, and...if we make a few ££££ along the way then all the better'. Not everyone in business sets out to be the next big thing, some are just happy for their moment in the sun.

Des
Amor Vincit Omnia

strapline wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:16 pm There are many senior former members on here, part of the old guard, that have seen the comings and goings on this brand since its genesis; they would be far better placed to answer the point you make about the 'eponymous CW leaving the company'.
I’m sure there are, Des. Some may well deign to do so. Yet some there are who will choose to keep their own counsel. At which point... :silent:

Oh, and you are right, it has been a good thread. And conducted as a thread should be.
Steve

Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

scooter wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:30 pm Matt

As another old stager I have to say that I agree with your summarisation.

scooter
Oh ok.....thanks guys...thought I'd get ribbed actually :thumbup: :lol:
I miss all the great things that may never be.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Tissot

CW
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Breon O'Casey, artist (died 2011), date of linocut unkown, but from a book published in 2008 (pic and info courtesy of Belgrave St Ives), a variation on a theme:

itemsfs_13191.jpg
'Tis me