C65 Sandstorm Chronometers

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
alanrolfe01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 25

Re: C65 Sandstorm Chronometers

Post by alanrolfe01 »

I was looking forward to this until someone mentioned Swatch. Since then the entire Compressor range has been mentally tarred with that brand image and I can't escape that. Thankfully it being only 38mm, too small for me, is the more logical reason for swerving this LE.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Irrespective of the consensus of opinion it’s nice to see something different that we can debate.

Nobody is going to like everything but there are features I like: the sector dial, the pointer date, the sandwich effect numerals and the black/cream colour scheme. Also those I don’t: 38mm case size as it makes the watch look top heavy and the extra minute rehaut ring that squashes the dial in too much.

It is however rather telling that these new design ideas had to come from a 3rd party rather than from a release originating from CW...
Tim
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

These aren't to my taste and I won't be buying one. If they raise the brand's profile and help the business I'm okay with that.
Listening to the longer interview with Zach Weiss and Mike France this will be CW's last release of the year so we can talk about these for a long time before being distracted by a new shiny thing.
Rice pudding with Jam? No, no, no. Rice pudding with stewed apple. Only way to go.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Well I have to say I am liking the Sandstorm on either the strap or bracelet (slightly less keen on the blackout).

I like the sandwich dial, the turquoise indices, markers and hands against the brushed steel elements of the dial. The pointer date is also a rare feature I like (I did once have a pointer day Oris that I regret selling so maybe reminds me a little of that).

The size is on the smaller end of the scale but the bezel is relatively slim and the dial looks nicely in proportion to me.

I'm not really looking to buy anything at the moment but it is quite tempting. I think these will sell out fairly quickly.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Forgot to say, I love a rice pudding. My mum used to make that for me as a kid. I'd eat it with either raisins or jam (or both!).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:15 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:02 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:42 pm
If it's only via order with W&W is it still on 60/60 guarantee?
From the WindUp Shop details;-

"Warranty: 5 Years on Movement"

Guy
Thanks Guy.

Sorry but I should have been more specific in my question as I was curious if having to buy direct through W&W affected the other part of the 60/60, i.e the ability to return within 60 days.

Just curiosity though as I'm not interested as a buyer.
You buy through them so assume their policies of 30-days returns and returning to the US would apply.
https://windupwatchshop.com/pages/refund-policy

If you're in the US, you will have to pay about $100 in import duties and fees.

If you're in the UK/EU, looks like you're buying tax-free so curious to see what CW will do about VAT when they ship to the UK/EU.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

^^ Hi Frank, Thanks for your reply.

I imagine for anybody in the UK considering buying 1 of these Sandstorms the potential reduced return period and USA return location would be quite useful maybe even important information.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Jam?
Stateside it will be rice pudding with jelly (assuming they do have rice pudding)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nordwulf wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:53 pm You buy through them so assume their policies of 30-days returns and returning to the US would apply.
https://windupwatchshop.com/pages/refund-policy

If you're in the US, you will have to pay about $100 in import duties and fees.

If you're in the UK/EU, looks like you're buying tax-free so curious to see what CW will do about VAT when they ship to the UK/EU.
Interesting point here.

Being in UK, if I click through on the email received from CW to the WindUpWatchShop, it initially shows prices in USD and, for example, the C65 Sandstorm on Bracelet is $1,205.00.

If I then change the currency to GBP and refresh it shows a price of £911.44, with or without VAT not specified. However, moving through to 'Checkout', and one step short of paying, the price is unchanged.

For comparison a C65 Sandhurst on Bracelet is £945.00 including VAT; very similar.

If the WindUpWatchShop is access from elsewhere, i.e. the USA, are these prices the same?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

The C65 Sandhurst on bracelet is $1,080 (£816) excluding tax. The Sandstorm should be £910 (S1,205) + 20% VAT = £1.092 for buyers in the UK. Curious to see how that will play out for buyers in the UK/EU.

If you're in the UK, would you also return to the Windup store in the USA?
If you're in US and return to the US, will Windup also refund the import duty you paid?

They should have sold this through the CW website to avoid these problems or ship them from the USA with any import duty included. Doesn't look like Windup and CW thought this through very well..
Bahnstormer_vRS

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
If the WindUpWatchShop is access from elsewhere, i.e. the USA, are these prices the same?

Guy

nordwulf wrote:The C65 Sandhurst on bracelet is $1,080 (£816) excluding tax. The Sandstorm should be £910 (S1,205) + 20% VAT = £1.092 for buyers in the UK. Curious to see how that will play out for buyers in the UK/EU.

If you're in the UK, would you also return to the Windup store in the USA?
If you're in US and return to the US, will Windup also refund the import duty you paid?

They should have sold this through the CW website to avoid these problems or ship them from the USA with any import duty included. Doesn't look like Windup and CW thought this through very well..

Your points and questions are appreciated Frank.

Maybe my question above was ambiguous. I'll rephrase it.

What is the price of the C65 Sandstorm on bracelet, if you look at the WindUpWatchShop from within the USA?

Is it the same or different to the price of $1,205.00, when looking from UK?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by TempusFugit »

The prices stay exactly the same for UK buyers with no additional shipping fees.
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
Bahnstormer_vRS

TempusFugit wrote:The prices stay exactly the same for UK buyers with no additional shipping fees.
. . . . but you're in UK, aren't you?

I'm asking for someone in the USA, or elsewhere but not EU, to tell us the price they see.

Guy

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I see $1,205. There's going to be a lot of shocked people in the US when they have to pay import duty. I hope Worn and Wound are ready for that.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Bahnstormer_vRS

albionphoto wrote:I see $1,205. There's going to be a lot of shocked people in the US when they have to pay import duty. I hope Worn and Wound are ready for that.
Thank you, and pleased for people in UK as this price appears to include VAT, and sits below the price of a C65 Sandhurst.

Guy