C60 Abyss SH21 now on the website

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: C60 Abyss SH21 now on the website

Post by nathanclarinet »

And since when did it cost £10 to resize a bracelet?!?! For a £2k watch? Seriously?!?!

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

If nothing else, this one is creating some strong oppinions...!

Im not struck on it at all but i do think the pictures may be taken a lot better. (Im pants at photos but we all know theres some photo demons on here!).

For me its the same as the compressor. I dont get it at all. But then a few people put far better pics of the compressor on the forum and it rapidly grew on me. This may do the same...?

I find it odd that imho the cheapest piece in the range looks by far the best.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

A bit expensive for my CW threshold but I do appreciate the stealthy look and understand the appeal. I think it also looks better than the tag posted earlier.

The C60 titanium v1 is what first brought my attention to CW so some non-standard or niche pieces can work to differentiate them from the crowd - even if that is just to look them up and then buy something more standard and practical in terms of legibility.

Looks like some strong details and finishing on this, as you would expect when CW get it right.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

nathanclarinet wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:03 pm And since when did it cost £10 to resize a bracelet?!?! For a £2k watch? Seriously?!?!
Just been back through my order history on the CW website. Here is a screenshot for a bracelet I ordered for my mk2 trident, for which I paid £10 extra to have it sized. Note as this is a archive entry from the old website so all the detail hasn’t been fully transferred across, however you can see item 2 on the order is a reference to 16.5cm and a £10 charge.

The date of this order was August 2015 so this has been in place for at least 5 years.
586F1AA5-E3F1-42BD-8710-5B99BEE731F7.jpeg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

I like the look of the standard Abyss and also the GMT which are both 13mm or so thick. The 16mm of the SH21 is just too tall imo, at least for my slim wrist.

The SH21 seems like a hybrid of the Abyss, Apex and Sapphire. Aside of the height issue, it does seem like the dial is very busy and legibility might be an issue however I think it is a watch you would need to see in real life or at least in better images than there are on the CW website in order to truly determine that.

The price is not unreasonable (£1,895 with a voucher or £1,695 if there is a 15% off Black Friday discount) for the type of watch it is with an in house movement, COSC certified with 5 day PR.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
sjbroadhead
Expert
Expert

Post by sjbroadhead »

Huge fan of this. Was planning on getting the standard Abyss with gun metal strap but I think the SH21 might swing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

iain wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:16 am
nathanclarinet wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:03 pm And since when did it cost £10 to resize a bracelet?!?! For a £2k watch? Seriously?!?!
Just been back through my order history on the CW website. Here is a screenshot for a bracelet I ordered for my mk2 trident, for which I paid £10 extra to have it sized. Note as this is a archive entry from the old website so all the detail hasn’t been fully transferred across, however you can see item 2 on the order is a reference to 16.5cm and a £10 charge.

The date of this order was August 2015 so this has been in place for at least 5 years.

586F1AA5-E3F1-42BD-8710-5B99BEE731F7.jpeg
I think you missed his point. How much extra you reckon it costs to leave Goldsmiths/Ernest Jones/Fraser Hart/Beaverbrooks/random jeweller with your watch sized properly for you? I doubt Declan would even charge you in the showroom and to be honest, I'd probably tell him just to keep it instead if he was going to take a tenner off me for it.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Yep, that is what I meant.... I think I can get a bracelet adjustment tool for cheaper, watch a YT vid and do it myself. Sheesh....

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The tools aren't expensive, and they are obviously reusable.

You can get pins out with a pin pusher device , and perhaps a mallet and punch.

In my experience it's getting the pins back in that can be very hard, although it depends on exactly where the collar is placed within the bracelet links. You need a tool to push the pin back through the collar. This is often a very tight fit, and can need a lot of force. There is no placement guide, as there is when the pin is coming out, and the pin need to be perpendicular to the links.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I’ve mentioned on the other thread where I made a similar comment. I’m not disagreeing about the principle of charging for readjusting a bracelet and since I paid my £10 I’ve gone and bought a tool to do it myself.

I had interpreted the points that have been made as though some thought it to be a recent introduction. The point of my comment was to show it’s been a charge CW have been making for quite some time.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

I think it is a little off to be charged £10 to have a bracelet sized when you have purchased a new watch from the site. It is a 5-10 minute job to do this.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:14 am I think it is a little off to be charged £10 to have a bracelet sized when you have purchased a new watch from the site. It is a 5-10 minute job to do this.
Personally I think it’s a little risky to have it done remotely.

From my experience, I like to try on after removing links. As sometimes I have to reattach from one side and remove from the other, to get the right fit.

In a jewellers, this is possible too.

Just because you give them the correct size of your wrist, doesn’t mean the fit will be ideal.

I’m not the handiest of men, I’m hopeless at DIY but if I can change bracelets and straps etc, then it’s certainly not a difficult task.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

I agree it's not that difficult and I generally adjust bracelets myself (I'm also no DIY expert) but some will be less confident to do that.

You'd hope with the micro adjustment clasp that if CW adjust to roughly your wrist size then you would be able to find a good fit in the majority of cases.
Patrick

Chris375
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by Chris375 »

I had a new watch from Bremont delivered just after the lockdown ended and although they had resized the bracelet at their HQ it wasn’t quite the right fit. So took it along to their boutique in Mayfair and got them to adjust it. Having paid £10 to CW to adjust my AM GT LE which still didn’t quite fit the sales rep in Bremont adjusted that one too - all for free (apart from the cost of the Bremont watch 😂)
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Does anyone know if there are any reviews (and extra real world photos and video reviews) due out? I’m thinking WIAA, W&W Etc etc. I really want to like it, but currently find it too busy. My hope is that real world images persuade me otherwise......

Anybody in the know?