C65 Super Compressor Timing Accuracy

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Lochinvar

C65 Super Compressor Timing Accuracy

Post by Lochinvar »

I note some of you have purchased the C65 Super Compressor and my question is directed to those owners
who can attest to the timing accuracy of their watches as i am rather partial to acquiring one myself. I have other watches from well known ateliers who use the very reliable Sellita SW200-1 movement which seem to be well regulated without having to go the chronometer COSC standard route. The timing tolerance range is much better than the general margins of accuracy as stated on the CW tech specs. I find the smallest deviations are recorded when the watch is left dial down.
I would be interested to hearing from any member who is familiar with the C65 Super Compressor.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: C65 Super Compressor Timing Accuracy

Post by albionphoto »

+4s/day crown down (overnight)
+5s/day dial up (overnight)
No complaints at all.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Lochinvar

Post by Lochinvar »

That is reassuring to know. Much better timing tolerance than I imagined 👌.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

The accuracy will vary from watch to watch and from use case to use case. My last two CWs (C65 Super Compressor and C65 Black and gold) have both performed similarly. It seems CW do a good job regulating the watches before sending them out into the world.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Mark_B
CW-watches: 5

Post by Mark_B »

I have just ordered a C65 Super Compressor at the weekend, so hopefully I will be able to report back soon. - when it arrives I'll stick it on the Time Grapher in the different positions, to see how it fares straight out of the box, so to speak.

.....If someone reminds me - (I WILL forget :lol: ), I'll re-do it after a settling in period also. - providing its a keeper of course, which I have no reason to think it won't be, especially as a very helpful lady in customer services has confirmed that the dial can be exchanged in due course if I can't live with the text misalignment on the dial. :thumbup:

I tend to change watches too frequently to check timing over a longer period, say a week/month, but I do like it when you get minimal deviation. :-D
CW: C8 Flyer UTC, C1000 Typhoon Cockpit Edition, C65 Super Compressor, C60 Trident 600 GMT, C63 Sealander GMT and Many others!
BarnabyNutt
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by BarnabyNutt »

Same movement in my C60 elite and that definitely needed a running in period. It ran well outside of COSC certificate numbers for a month or more before settling down and now, according to the Toolwatch app, sitting consistently around -4s/d
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

Slightly disappointed to discover mine is running at + s/d when checked over the last few days.
Is that within Spec?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

Wolfman53 wrote:Slightly disappointed to discover mine is running at + s/d when checked over the last few days.
Is that within Spec?

Sorry. + 15s/d

Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Ian Mc »

Timed mine at - 0.6 secs per day over 1 month when it was about 2 months old.
It was a manual check, ie no machine timer, so it is fairly crude
These users thanked the author Ian Mc for the post:
Wolfman53
Time keeps on slipping into the future
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

That's within tolerance for the movement. It's right on the edge of the range, but still within.
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post:
Wolfman53
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
David. S
Guru
Guru

Post by David. S »

You could be lucky and get one that runs very accurately, but you could be unlucky and get one that runs near the bad end of the +-20 seconds a day tolerance for the movement, you then have to decide to live with it or send it back to CW for regulation. You could try and get a local watchmaker to regulate it, but because of the case design they may not be willing to tackle it.
I personally really like the super compressor and I really appreciate the engineering that went into it, I'm just disappointed CW decided not to use a cosc certified movement.
These users thanked the author David. S for the post:
Wolfman53
Quality Man
Senior
Senior

Post by Quality Man »

Mine was initially running around +4 sec per day, I then managed to magnetise it but after demagnetising it has settled around +10 seconds per day, I’m happy with that.
These users thanked the author Quality Man for the post:
Wolfman53
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

So, after sensible discussions and due diligence, on the part of both parties, on a watch (C65 SC OB) that I was prepared to sell, I've withdrawn the sale because, when I checked the accuracy on my Timegrapher (Weishi 1900) I found that it had an amptitude just below 300 and was running anywhere from +24 to +29 sd = not good!
As the watch is only a year old (25/01/2021) I will be contacting CW Customer Services to have a chat about getting it checked over and regulated - which "should" be done under warranty - based on this extract from CWs website (under the Service and Repairs > FAQs section https://www.christopherward.com/service ... pairs.html)
What does ‘regulation’ mean?
Our tolerance is +/- 20 seconds per day for most mechanical watches (-4/+6 seconds per day for COSC-certified watches). However, in the unlikely case that your watch isn’t within these tolerances, we regulate the timing to improve its accuracy.
To keep your watch running at the desired tolerances, you should keep your watch fully charged/wound.
These users thanked the author StrapMeister for the post:
David. S
David. S
Guru
Guru

Post by David. S »

StrapMeister wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:46 pm So, after sensible discussions and due diligence, on the part of both parties, on a watch (C65 SC OB) that I was prepared to sell, I've withdrawn the sale because, when I checked the accuracy on my Timegrapher (Weishi 1900) I found that it had an amptitude just below 300 and was running anywhere from +24 to +29 sd = not good!
As the watch is only a year old (25/01/2021) I will be contacting CW Customer Services to have a chat about getting it checked over and regulated - which "should" be done under warranty - based on this extract from CWs website (under the Service and Repairs > FAQs section https://www.christopherward.com/service ... pairs.html)
What does ‘regulation’ mean?
Our tolerance is +/- 20 seconds per day for most mechanical watches (-4/+6 seconds per day for COSC-certified watches). However, in the unlikely case that your watch isn’t within these tolerances, we regulate the timing to improve its accuracy.
To keep your watch running at the desired tolerances, you should keep your watch fully charged/wound.

Very decent of you not to pass on a watch that is a little sick. You live up to your trusted seller status.
I hope CW get it sorted for you.

David
These users thanked the author David. S for the post:
StrapMeister
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Thank you.
I would never knowingly sell a watch with a fault as both the Trusted Seller and my eBay status is very important, especially as I tend to sell watches in phases, i.e. sell , say, 3 watches to build funds to replace with one more expensive watch, and so on.

I had a mishap last year when selling a relatively new (1/2 years old) watch which turned out to be out of tolerance.
Luckily it was covered under warranty and I guided the buyer through the whole process and, in the end, was very happy.
However, this prompted me into buying a Weishi 1900 Timegrapher which has, subsequently, been very useful.
Here's a tip: Not everyone has a Timegrapher so it can be a bit hit and miss with regards to buying second-hand so its often worth factoring in a service cost for older watches especially if they are out of warranty.

I've now spoken to CW Customer Services - very pleasant and helpful.
They advised me to first wind the watch up 74 times (don't ask me where they got that number from), wear it for a day or two and then check the timing/regulation again.
In the meantime, a returns pack has been sent out to me and email confirmation of this has already been received. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author StrapMeister for the post:
David. S