Which Cartier

A place to discuss other watch-brands
neiltallen
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Which Cartier

Post by neiltallen »

I'm considering buying my first Cartier in the near future. The appeal lies in the blued hands (Solo), Roman numerals, and interchangeable bracelet (Santos). I'm looking for feedback, advice as to which model would be recommended. I have a small / medium wrist, and I am looking at a choice between one of the two models below (pictures borrowed from Cartier website).

Blue Santos – nearly brought the white dialled version (in the days when we could fly at the Cartier Boutique in terminal 5, but held off as was told 6-8 weeks order for the blue).
Blue Santos.PNG
Tank Solo automatic. Iconic design, and about half the price of the Santos above.

[attachment=0]Tank Solo.PNG[/attachment

There is a clear price difference (about 50%, excluding any discounts - if they can be had on these models)
Attachments
Tank Solo.PNG
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Which Cartier

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Here’s a better picture of the Tank Solo.

47F9DC71-BAA0-46C2-ADBF-6DA069F2EAD2.jpeg
When I bought mine, I had looked at the Large model but it was quartz and I found it surprisingly small. The XL is a perfect fit and has quite a reasonable presence on my wrist, which is a shade over 7 inches around.

I can’t comment on the Blue Santos, because I have never handled one. However, it’s a beautiful watch.

You have two of the classic Cartier watches there. I should be very interested to see which one you might choose.

Good luck with that one. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
neiltallen
Senior
Senior

Post by neiltallen »

That's a lovely picture.

I think i prefer the shape of the Tank, but i would want to try them both on at the same time to make a final decision :D
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A couple of iconic choices. Don’t forget you could also have the Santos with a white dial. :thumbup:

My take is how do you intend wearing it and how important is the bracelet. Will it be worn and viewed by you as primarily a “dress” watch, or something you could basically wear as an everyday watch, regardless of setting and activity...

Setting price difference aside - I would go for the one with 100m WR that comes supplied with both a rather splendid bracelet and a calf strap, with deployant. Both having a quick change mechanism. IIRC the bracelet also has a quick “no screwdriver required” system for removing links.

For people that don’t inhabit watch forums, it would work as a one watch suitable for any activity, except mixing concrete etc... :)

An easy choice for me, as a person who generally wears an SS sports style watch on a bracelet, with an occasional foray into the occasional strap choice.

Enjoy deciding.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Two nice models to choose from. If you are willing to consider other Cartiers, you could do worse than read Gary's thread about his recent purchase here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54730
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

'fraid I'll be no help at all as Cartier are not my kind of watch. Sorry.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:01 pm 'fraid I'll be no help at all as Cartier are not my kind of watch. Sorry.

Guy
Not even the Calibre de Cartier diver? Would look right at home on your wrist Guy!

If I had the money and wrists, I'd have one in a heartbeat. The blue model is the business.

Ryan
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

StrappedUp wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:11 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:01 pm 'fraid I'll be no help at all as Cartier are not my kind of watch. Sorry.

Guy
Not even the Calibre de Cartier diver? Would look right at home on your wrist Guy!

If I had the money and wrists, I'd have one in a heartbeat. The blue model is the business.

Could be persuaded? Off to check Cartier's website . . . . . :wink:

Might even compliment my Breguet Type XX quite nicely. :think:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

StrappedUp wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:11 pm

Guy

I really wish you hadn't put that pic up Ryan! I'm not normally a fan of roman numerals but I find myself strangely attracted to these, and the non diver version - it doesn't help that Finnies have a black dial diver on bracelet brand new at a decent price either. I thought I'd just settled into the 'happy with what I have for now' category too :lol:
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

StrappedUp wrote:Not even the Calibre de Cartier diver? Would look right at home on your wrist Guy!

This is on the back burner if I can accrue enough money from sales. I’ve seen the blue in the metal and it’s gorgeous, but for some reason it’s unavailable on a bracelet, whereas the black version is available on either bracelet or on rubber. Go figure.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
b00ndocksaint
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by b00ndocksaint »

I have my eye on an XL Tank automatic, but those divers are pretty interesting - might have to investigate!
Rolex Sub 116610LN / Tudor BB58 / Omega Seamaster 300M Pro 2531.80.00 / Breitling Avenger II Blackbird / Vintage 50s Omega / Bremont S501 / C60 Bronze / C60 Abyss / C65 / Dreyfuss Co 1974 / Vostok Amphibias / Skagen 234XXLT / Zelos Mako Bronze
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Which Cartier

Post by blowfish89 »

I had never seen these before either, but I dig both the diver and the non-diver Calibre models
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

If this diver was no date and broader hands it would probably be my only dive style watch in blue S&G. It just has 'something'.

Re the OP, think they are both classics and you cant go wrong with either. Tank edges it for me, I owned a LE Santos c20 yrs ago before I was into watches and could properly appreciate it 🙄.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
neiltallen
Senior
Senior

Post by neiltallen »

Thanks for all comments / suggestions.

Not a fan of the date wheel on the Diver (although the blue looks very nice).

Funds permitting, i will be buying early next year :D
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

neiltallen wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:28 am Not a fan of the date wheel on the Diver
The beauty of watches - something different for everyone. The 'altimeter style' date window appeals to me - I like the idea of still having the date available when the seconds hand is at quarter past as you can see the day 'before and after' so know todays date. The amount of times I've glanced down at my watch to check the date when I've been signing/dating a form etc.. and not had the date visible is more often than you'd think. Maybe thats a discussion for a different thread though.

Looking forward to seeing which you go for when funds permit :thumbup: