Before sending back

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Only one more

Before sending back

Post by Only one more »

Hi all,

I'm a little curious as to how people try their new cw watches as for many, they can only buy online and get their first impression on the watch when its delivered.

Do people peel everything off and even go as far as resizing and then decide to send it back?

Customer service have told me they will accept returns as long as the watch is still wrapped up as delivered which makes sense but also makes it very difficult to get a good feel for the watch, especially if the bracelet is not sized up.

Where do you draw the line on checking your new watch?

I'm in the leave it as it came camp until I'm 100% sure I'm keeping it because I'd be worried they would not accept it back any other way.

I'd be grateful for any feed back as I'm currently in this position with a c60 elite, it's a lot of money if I end up not liking the fit!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Before sending back

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s a good question, and I’m afraid I’m not qualified to answer it since I have never sent a watch back under the 60:60.

I have occasionally bought watches that I haven’t bonded with but I have sold them on, usually within the forum. I have only had two CW bracelet watches. One was bought secondhand and the seller included spare links in the box. The other one, which I still have (my C65 Trident Diver) I bought from the showroom in Maidenhead, so it was sized for me on the spot.

I would have thought it was okay to try the watch for size but not start removing bracelet links if you intend to send it back. You can certainly try it for size without removing the stickers.

I’m a sort of “stickers off and get on with it!” person when it comes to new watches. :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Only one more

Post by Only one more »

Thanks for the input.

I think taking links out, is out of the question if you are thinking of returning a watch but there must of been someone who has?

One minute I'm 100% keeping the c60 elite and the next I'm ready to post it back!

Next time I'll be using CW re size service, would of made my mind up by now :lol:
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Hi, sent a couple back after a splurge in the Jan sales (did intend to keep them). Anyway, I find its easy to try on with stickers intact, also, CW unlike many vendors often wrap the whole watch head in a thickish plastic with a little tape on it which is easy to remove if required and replace intact.
I think you generally know within a short time/almost immediately if a new watch is right for you or not. I tried one on for c.5-10 mins after removing the wrap (trying to convince myself it was right), the other I didn't even need to try on. Both then repackaged until the return packs arrived a few days later, no probs, easy process.

Changes to links or wearing a strap too tight so that it marks would be a no no.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

From the FAQ:
https://www.christopherward.com/int/60-guarantee.html

Does bracelet resizing affect my 60|60 Guarantee?
No.

Taking the plastic off should be fine as well. They state the only requirement is " in perfect condition" so try it on but be careful.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:55 pm From the FAQ:

No.

Taking the plastic off should be fine as well. They state the only requirement is " in perfect condition" so try it on but be careful.
Thanks for pointing that out, Frank. Never thought to look at the website! :oops:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:55 pm From the FAQ:

No.

I'm not 100%, but I wonder whether that refers to the bracelet resizing they offer as a paid service when you order the watch from them. I would be surprised if they allowed someone to resize a bracelet at home, unless they absolutely don't mark the bracelet in the process.

I notice they also state that engraving (by them) doesn't affect the 60:60 guarantee, so presumably if someone returns the watch with engraving they would have to sell it on engraved or replace the back first.

I left all the the plastic on initially for my C5 595 just to see if looked reasonably ok on my wrist, then removed the outer wrap (but left the mesh and watch/front back plastic on) for a better check. Once I was happy, I then removed all the plastic of course :)
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

For what it is worth I bought a C60 and a C65 knowing that I would only be keeping one. I paid the option to resize the bracelet on both in order to allow me to compare them on the wrist and determine how they looked and how comfortable they were when fitted.
However I knew (it was stated on the website) that I would not receive a refund for the bracelet resizing which is fair enough in my eyes. That was the case. I kept the C65 and returned the C60 and was refunded the amount I paid for there watch but not the cost of resizing. After all CW would possible have to take the time to add the links to the bracelet having already removed them.
As a side note I bought the watches with a 15% discount and was happy to 'waste' £10 (the cost of resizing a bracelet) to ensure I kept what was for me the better watch choice.
Gordon
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

I also did also buy two 595s in the sale earlier in July, one on mesh bracelet and one on strap, as I wasn't sure if I would like the bracelet style and intended to return the one I didn't like.

In the end, I did like the 595 and the bracelet, so kept that one and still have the other boxed and unworn, which I intend to give as a gift or return it if not.

I did however also buy a C5 MMXV FLE from a forum member a week later and now the mesh bracelet is on that and my 595 is on a strap anyway :lol:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

My two pennies worth: to send a watch back, it needs to be in “as new” condition and unmarked. Re-sizing a bracelet is a gamble as to whether it gets scratched in the process or not. If it’s scratched, you run the risk of your refund being rejected.

If you can’t make up your mind without actually re-sizing the bracelet, you are taking a risk and shouldn’t complain if you are ultimately refused a refund.

The choice is yours. I personally wouldn’t risk it but then, if I’m not sure, I can usually tell without the need to actually wear a watch for a period. I would only re-size once I was sure I’d keep the watch. If, however, after a while of wearing, I decide I’ve made a mistake, I’d sell privately anyway.
Steve.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

^ +1

Unmarked & unworn, so if you can resize the bracelet without marking it, you may get away with it, but you do run the risk. The costs of a slip are significant, and the pin & collar bracelet links aren’t the easiest.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot