Why not to take much notice of user reviews

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Why not to take much notice of user reviews

Post by TigerChris »

Sorry, I couldn't resist this one. I have just been looking through the Ernest Jones sale pages just to see if anything else has appeared that takes my fancy. They have a Railmaster, blue dial, on sale and I noticed it had a 2 star review. Obviously, I was intrigued as to how a watch like this could only get 2 stars and so clicked on it thinking it may have been down to it being an ex display with scratches etc.. or bad service from EJ. Oh no, this is the review that was left and highlights the reason I take most reviews on websites with a pinch of salt :lol:

Intermittent performance

I was initially overjoyed at the quality of this watch, it is amazingly well constructed and keeps time well... when it works. I think there may be an ICU issue in mine as it doesn't automatically set the time correctly after the battery power-saving feature comes on. First of all, I thought stopping the hands was a clever power-saving feature but it is pointless if the watch doesn't pick up the correct time when I give it a shake. I asked the salesman and he told me it was automatic and meant to do that when the power reserve is low but mine DOESN'T!! I have to set the time every time I want to wear it!
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Why not to take much notice of user reviews

Post by Ian Mc »

That is more evidence that:

They live amongst us!

:shock:
Time keeps on slipping into the future
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

😂😁🤣
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Unbelievable!

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I love reading one and two star reviews too - of anything. Often good for a laugh.
You have to admit, though, that this reviewers exasperation was consistent with a two star review! :lol:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
scampbell61
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by scampbell61 »

I wonder if he would like to sell his "broken" watch?
Stewart
“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” ― Eric Hoffer

C65 -Dune, C63-Sealander GMT, C60 Atoll 300 “Shark White”, Twelve, and C65 Chronograph
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Couple of stories...

On a holiday in Turkey a few years ago a chap in our group bought a fake TAG from one of the "Genuine Fake" shops. A couple of days later, knowing I was interested in watches, he bought it to me with a most sorrowful expression. It had stopped, thank goodness he had the receipt, he could take it back for a new battery or a refund/replacement. I gave it a shake and heard the rotor move. I took pity on him and showed him how an automatic worked. Then headed for the hand sanitiser.

Once in Norwich I was browsing the watches in a store and the employee noticed me and came over. I think it was a quartz Seiko I was looking at.

"Very nice mechanical watch, sir."

"No it isn't, it's quartz."

"Yes sir, quartz mechanical."

"Ah...analogue!"

"No sir, just a watch."
That last line was courtesy of the great Tommy Cooper. The rest is true.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nburgess
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by nburgess »

O.M.G
Neil
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:21 am Sorry, I couldn't resist this one. I have just been looking through the Ernest Jones sale pages just to see if anything else has appeared that takes my fancy. They have a Railmaster, blue dial, on sale and I noticed it had a 2 star review. Obviously, I was intrigued as to how a watch like this could only get 2 stars and so clicked on it thinking it may have been down to it being an ex display with scratches etc.. or bad service from EJ. Oh no, this is the review that was left and highlights the reason I take most reviews on websites with a pinch of salt :lol:

Intermittent performance

I was initially overjoyed at the quality of this watch, it is amazingly well constructed and keeps time well... when it works. I think there may be an ICU issue in mine as it doesn't automatically set the time correctly after the battery power-saving feature comes on. First of all, I thought stopping the hands was a clever power-saving feature but it is pointless if the watch doesn't pick up the correct time when I give it a shake. I asked the salesman and he told me it was automatic and meant to do that when the power reserve is low but mine DOESN'T!! I have to set the time every time I want to wear it!
Think I'd demand to see the ICU before parting with my money here. Might it possibly be that some sales agent had been getting some light relief and the customer's expense? I'm thinking about the sketch which I've always known as "D'you want tweeter with that?"
https://youtu.be/DvswW6M7bMo

This on the other hand reminds me why The Suffolk Gazette exists just to gently tease the neighbours in Norfolk!

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/nor ... spin-bike/

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:49 pm
Once in Norwich I was browsing the watches in a store and the employee noticed me and came over. I think it was a quartz Seiko I was looking at.

"Very nice mechanical watch, sir."

"No it isn't, it's quartz."

"Yes sir, quartz mechanical."

"Ah...analogue!"

"No sir, just a watch."
That last line was courtesy of the great Tommy Cooper. The rest is true.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:44 pm
Think I'd demand to see the ICU before parting with my money here. Might it possibly be that some sales agent had been getting some light relief and the customer's expense? I'm thinking about the sketch which I've always known as "D'you want tweeter with that?"
https://youtu.be/DvswW6M7bMo
That raised a smile - haven't seen this for years... :lol: :lol: