^^ Very cool castle !
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Post a picture from your latest ride

Post by Thegreyman »

downer wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:26 am Resuming my IAM Observer training next week so I spent some time refreshing my memory one of the routes on the GS.
In the early 2000's, out of interest I went to IAM classes and passed the test but haven't kept it up since. My examiner (is that the same role as an observer?) was an ex traffic policeman which I think a lot of the examiners were. The main thing it taught me was to really look ahead on the road and observe.

I wasn't aware there was a motorbike IAM equivalent but of course it makes sense that there should be.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:18 am
downer wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:26 am Resuming my IAM Observer training next week so I spent some time refreshing my memory one of the routes on the GS.
In the early 2000's, out of interest I went to IAM classes and passed the test but haven't kept it up since. My examiner (is that the same role as an observer?) was an ex traffic policeman which I think a lot of the examiners were. The main thing it taught me was to really look ahead on the road and observe.

I wasn't aware there was a motorbike IAM equivalent but of course it makes sense that there should be.
Yes, I think the motorcycle branch of IAM is quite active - perhaps more so than the car side of things? The Observer role is to act as an on-road coach to riders who are training for their IAM advanced test. So observers coach and then examiners conduct the final test. Many of my fellow observers are also ex-police although the current group of senior guys I'm working with are from all walks of life and the guy I'm training with is a Lawyer.

Out on the bike yesterday, there was not much blue sky to be seen:

Richard
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^interesting and makes sense now and I recall getting a dry run of my test with a chap who must have been an observer, another ex policeman I think! The IAM is definitely a worthwhile thing to do as it gives you more awareness on the road (not that I drive very much these days :problem: ).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

drand
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by drand »

IMG_20200601_193919425.jpg
Not the prettiest of pictures, but significant. This is where D-Day landing craft LCT7074 will be displayed at the D-Day Story museum in Portsmouth. Really looking forward to having another awesome and thought-provoking part of maritime history down here.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

drand wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 pmNot the prettiest of pictures, but significant. This is where D-Day landing craft LCT7074 will be displayed at the D-Day Story museum in Portsmouth.
Over the past 40 years I have seen every museum, bunker and cemetery along the D-Day coast in Normandy many times over. School trips – history and languages. I have sailed out of Portsmouth harbour God knows how many times and I have been to all the historical sites in Portsmouth. This will be interesting. Thanks for posting. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

On a (mostly) dry ride last week I managed to find, and fall into, a decently sized mudhole. Ironically I was trying to navigate around it when I fell in.

2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

For those in "IAM" you could also consider doing the "ROSPA" driving and riding tests

Both organisations in my view have a little to more interest in the riding side of "advanced" driving

To take your Rospa test, and remain a member, you have to retake your test every 3 years, so for me the better tests of your driving/riding skills. That, and you get bronze/silver/gold ratings.... of course we all want to be "gold"

Both organisations are similar. If your really into being a geek, buy a copy of "road craft" it's the bible of advanced driving as far as I'm concerned :)

I'm new to this thread, skipped a few pages, but great phots......I'm also glad you have been putting on the cycle computer read outs, makes me feel better looking at them and seeing my own results on my 1987 road bike....with no electrical assistance

cheers Jmbo
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Lavaine wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:40 am On a (mostly) dry ride last week I managed to find, and fall into, a decently sized mudhole. Ironically I was trying to navigate around it when I fell in.

You took the definition of a field watch to the extreme and ended up in a field! Hopefully the fall wasn't too painful.
Patrick

StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Where most of my pick-ups end up being dropped off - Royal United Hospital Bath
...albeit round the back at the Pathology Lab.
FW_BB_RUH.JPG
Also a big thank you to BP for providing us with Free fuel :thumbup:
BP A36 Trowbridge Road Frome BA11 6SF.JPG
BP Malmesbury Rd A350 Chippenham SN14 6UY #02.JPG
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Post by TP Fit »

Mountain biking in the Auburn Hills (California) with my girl friend. Love this ebike that can handle rough terrain. Best purchase ever.
Bon.jpg
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:36 pm You took the definition of a field watch to the extreme and ended up in a field! Hopefully the fall wasn't too painful.
Well, I removed the bell from the handlebars with the side of my knee (ouch), but mostly just my pride was wounded. My last couple of rides I kept the shiny side up.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

TP Fit wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:16 pm Mountain biking in the Auburn Hills (California) with my girl friend. Love this ebike that can handle rough terrain. Best purchase ever.
What a lovely photograph!

I wish I was able to get my wife to accompany me sometimes.

She is the only person I know who has no balance at all on a bike.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

drand wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 pm IMG_20200601_193919425.jpg
Not the prettiest of pictures, but significant. This is where D-Day landing craft LCT7074 will be displayed at the D-Day Story museum in Portsmouth. Really looking forward to having another awesome and thought-provoking part of maritime history down here.
Great to see this developing! I've not been down in Portsmouth since lockdown started so was wondering how this and a couple of other things were looking! I'll possibly be riding down on the bicycle again soon though (still need to work my way back up to the 40 mile pre-work distance) so may finally get to see it again.
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Post by TP Fit »

scooter wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:01 am
TP Fit wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:16 pm Mountain biking in the Auburn Hills (California) with my girl friend. Love this ebike that can handle rough terrain. Best purchase ever.
What a lovely photograph!

I wish I was able to get my wife to accompany me sometimes.

She is the only person I know who has no balance at all on a bike.

scooter
Thank you! I can appreciate your comment. Getting my girlfriend comfortable on a bike was bit of a journey. Unlike my childhood she never rode a bike. It started with just a few short rides at first and has progressed to what you see now. I vividly remember a short urban ride, turning around on a recent turn and she wasn't there...she was two blocks up on the ground after falling :shock: