What did you do with your CD collection?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: What did you do with your CD collection?

Post by StrappedUp »

I had 2 boxes full of CDs and gave them to the local hospice shop.
I've since found another box full up in the attic and will be doing the same with those.

About 150-200 CDs in total, mostly 2+ disc albums. Goodness knows what they cost in total.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, so the quality of streaming is fine for me.

I've cleared out the DVD cabinet during lockdown and have 2 boxes full.
I'm less inclined to give those up just yet. Not sure why as alot of it is available via Sky/Amazon/Disney+ etc :?
Ryan
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’ve 300+ CD’s; 200+ vinyl; and recently re-discovered two drawers full of cassettes.

No idea what to do with them although I’m so glad I’ve kept the vinyl. I now only play (and buy) vinyl and Spotify, although occasionally will play a CD that I can’t find on my server. I’m of the opinion that they don’t take up that much space and they’re still a high quality recorded format. Basically, a sunk cost so they’ll stay for the time being.

However, I’ve heard recently that there’s a burgeoning hipster market for cassettes so I’m primed :thumbup:
Tim
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I've a stack of VHS tapes still. I expect they'll be worth a packet one day, fingers crossed. :thumbup:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I listen to mine.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Interesting post! It prompted me to reconnect my CD player, sort through all my CDs, and pull a big selection out to listen to.

I’ve been toying with buying a quality turntable, but have been hesitant because I question how much I’d actually listen to it.

I think maybe the CD player might be a nice baby step - if I can’t be bothered to pop in a CD or two for a purposeful music listening session, I probably wouldn’t do it with a vinyl record either.

At the moment, I’m revisiting some jazz CDs I had forgotten I have.

EDE43633-BCF1-4621-AC5A-13B7E629D2A0.jpeg
All my CDs, newly sorted and going into storage
9FCC9EDA-CE68-43DB-B2C2-0C691A29E1CF.jpeg
CD player into powered speakers with a selection of CDs I’m most likely to listen to.
Drew
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

H0rati0 wrote:In theory ripping is illegal - though I believe you are allowed to keep a backup. But in any case, you are supposed to keep the original CD as ripping does not transfer the usage rights granted by the copyright holder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... ns-new-law

Sorry to rain on the parade :oops:
That is my take too :thumbup: - I got rid of all of the boxes, got some flight cases, and some sleeves that hold the CD and pamphlet together - now 400+ CDs occupy a fraction of the space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Who gives a monkeys about usage rights etc...? As long as you have paid for the original and it's not a pirate copy then you're not taking anything away from the artist. Just more red tape BS to justify someones existence and give the do gooders of this world something to preach about. Anyway, back to the original question from Richard, mine are all in plastic boxes at the back of the shed. I can't quite bring myself to get rid of them yet. I've kept my vinyl and CD's but, for some reason, got rid of all my cassette tapes along with VHS tapes long ago - a decision I do regret at times as I had some stuff on both that I just can't get hold of these days. Oh well, we live and learn hey.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

same boat here. Have over a 1000 in a big cd cabinet and almost never use them. well not indoors anyway, but might get a go in the car. Even my minimac which has the vast majority burnt into iTunes hasn't been fired up for many a month. Have tended to use spotify premium for many years for most of my needs but like others I couldn't bring myself to throw the cds away and after looking into the various services like music magpie etc for dvd's also have realised they are worth bugger all anyway!
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Big plastic boxes in the loft... All ripped to NAS storage with Raspberry Pi as a PLEX media server... playing via SONOS...

Anything I haven't got just gets streamed through spotify premium paid for by Vodafone as part of my mobile contract.
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Mine were all shipped out to Thailand and have been added to since, thanks for your interest! :D

I brought a selection of my old vinyl stuff as well although as yet, have nothing to play them on. :(
'Tis me
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I got rid of CD cases years back and keep my CDs with the sleeve in a folder. We’re only talking about around 100 CDs. I recently bought a DAB radio / CD player, and there are a number of these around now, at various price points. I thought it would reinvigorate my CD collection, but since it has Bluetooth and I have Spotify on my phone I now own a world of music. I’m loving exploring through music again - first time for a long time :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
nburgess
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by nburgess »

Funnily enough I went through the exact same thought process a week or so back, as my son wanted to sell some of his games.
Downloaded the MusicMagpie app, sat there and scanned several hundred CD's and probably around 50% were 'worth' sub 50p. The remaining lot, they didn't even want! Not sure if that says something about Music Magpie or more likely it says something about some of the slightly more obscure albums I had. What's wrong with a bit of Ali Fakatoure, Matisyahu or Kruder and Dorfmeister I ask you!?

Anyways, aside from around 10 CD's which were worth a few quid each, I put the lot back in their boxes and back in the loft, where they'll stay for the forseeable.
If I was was offered a decent amount of money, I would probably get rid - but don't want to just give them away for peanuts. A lot of memories in that lot. I guess I'll have to dig out my old stereo/amp and go through them one day. Just need a bit of time to do that when not much else is going on... :-k
Neil
PavG

Post by PavG »

I know I should stop, but I keep buying new ones anyway...
manicm

Post by manicm »

PavG wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:19 pm I know I should stop, but I keep buying new ones anyway...
There's just too much good stuff being released, and I still enjoy holding something in my hand. I’m ripping my CDs, even new ones, which I then listen through USB on my system, but I still want the physical discs. And I know some of my CDs will be worth a small fortune as not not even Amazon sell them anymore. So we're of a dying breed of collectors.
PavG

Post by PavG »

manicm wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:30 pm
PavG wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:19 pm I know I should stop, but I keep buying new ones anyway...
There's just too much good stuff being released, and I still enjoy holding something in my hand. I’m ripping my CDs, even new ones, which I then listen through USB on my system, but I still want the physical discs. And I know some of my CDs will be worth a small fortune as not not even Amazon sell them anymore. So we're of a dying breed of collectors.
Yes, I do like the physical item too. I do listen to them all the time too, so it's kind of justified, that's what I keep telling myself :-)