A place to discuss other watch-brands
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Forever watch...

Post by StrapMeister »

Some great choices there Dan :thumbup:

If the budget will stretch to it, my first choice would be the Longines.
Followed by the CW C60 and lastly the Steinhart, the latter being great value for money.
However, based on your choices and top budget, I have another offering to through in the mix - take a look at the Davosa Ternos Ceramic Automatic (https://www.davosa.com/en/collections/d ... os-ceramic. Available from the Watch Hut https://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/davosa/me ... lsrc=aw.ds)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I'd personally take the C60 MK3 over the older alu bezel Hydroconquest every day of the week.
I've handled both and was much more impressed with the CW.
The hands and markers give the dial real depth and the case finishing is a notch above.

One thing you stated in your OP was that you liked adjustment for a snug fit.
The C60 gives you that on-the-fly and with the future introduction of a half-link, you'll no doubt get an absolutely perfect fit.

The Longines is a solid watch, but apart from the all-Arabic variant, the dials look a little fussy and dated imo.
Another thing that would bother me is the endlinks. Most are brushed with a polished centre that looks as though it's been done by applying a little masking tape, rather than having any machining to differentiate the 2 surfaces.
I'm not sure whether this only exists on the 41/43 or is an age-related change as I have seen a few that are machined.

There was some rumours circulating that Longines could have a 39mm version of the latest ceramic bezel HC in the works, but nothing has been confirmed yet.
May be worth sending a message to their CS and ask if it's due at some point.

On the subject of the C65, I have small wrists and found the case size and lug-lug length to be manageable, but I think the dial diameter could bother you.
I've tried a GMT and manual diver, and have sold both due to them appearing large on my wrist.

A busier dial such as the Worldtimer may go some way to alleviating the issue, although they've increased the bezel diameter to 42mm.

Not sure I've helped at all, but best of luck :lol:
Ryan
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

My $0.02

CW C60 MK3 Fit and Finish is much stronger than Steinhart's and some find Steinhart's offerings as homages a bit off putting. Given it's on your shortlist I'm sensing thats not an issue. I like Steinhart however in their homage driven diver lineup I tired of being asked constantly if i had a Rolex on my wrist.

Longines is also a great watch.

I'd rank:
Christopher Ward C60 Mk3
Longines
Steinhart

If it's a coin toss for you between CW and Longines, perhaps shop by whichever is the most attractive purchase price.... and warranty offering.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
dan1983
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by dan1983 »

Thanks all - yes you have helped in more ways than one.

re the Steinhart i've come to the same conclusion which is whilst they look great and are great value for money i'd be forever (well, maybe not forever but quite often) trying to explain no it isn't a Rolex blah blah. for that reason its off the list.

I've read a number of posts on the bracelet on the C60 and yes i am very fussy with fit - i think that the C60 ticks the boxes on that front

Interesting hearing from people who have owned both - that is really useful so thank you.

where does this leave me - probably pulling the trigger on a Mk3 38mm. I'm tempted by the GMT but at the small size i worry it will look a bit busy and squashed.

Thank you for taking the time to reply - its really helped.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Viognier wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:19 pm
I'd rank:
Christopher Ward C60 Mk3
Longines
Steinhart
:thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

dan1983 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 pm Thanks all - yes you have helped in more ways than one.

re the Steinhart i've come to the same conclusion which is whilst they look great and are great value for money i'd be forever (well, maybe not forever but quite often) trying to explain no it isn't a Rolex blah blah. for that reason its off the list.
I think I must live in a parallel universe, as I don’t ever recall anyone ever commenting on any Rolex I have been wearing (except perhaps if I had removed it to try on another watch in an AD). I just don’t think that the majority of people pay any attention to our wrist wear, which as far as I am concerned is a good thing. If the Steinhart is YOUR favourite that is all that matters.
StrappedUp wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 am I'd personally take the C60 MK3 over the older alu bezel Hydroconquest every day of the week.
The hands and markers give the dial real depth and the case finishing is a notch above.
I would go further Ryan. I remember trying on an alu bezel HC to compare it with my Mark 1 Trident - I preferred the Trident, even though, as a fan of many Longines models, I had expected to prefer the HC.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

nbg wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:21 pm
StrappedUp wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 am I'd personally take the C60 MK3 over the older alu bezel Hydroconquest every day of the week.
I would go further Ryan. I remember trying on an alu bezel HC to compare it with my Mark 1 Trident - I preferred the Trident, even though, as a fan of many Longines models, I had expected to prefer the HC.

Neil
I've only handled MK2/3 C60s, but would definitely take both over the non-ceramic HC. Only stated the MK3 as it was specifically mentioned by the OP.

However, the latest ceramic model does grab my attention, especially the green that was recently released.
Unfortunately, only 41mm for now which would probably be ok for most if not for the long lug-lug.
Ryan