A place to discuss other watch-brands
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Anyone Know if this is worth anything?

Post by jimbo »

Hi Folks,

(I might just have cracked it....and managed to do the picture thing)

this watch belongs to a friend who has it in a draw of other junk, I think it works for a few mins then stops.

Please advise any info, (she also has another below)

cheers in advance

Jimbo
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: Anyone Know if this is worth anything?

Post by ianblyth »

Looks nice but I will let the vintage boys have a go at this one. Sounds like it might need a service.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Without a bit more info or the watches in hand it is difficult to provide a lot of information.

I am not quite sure which movement photos go with each watch.

I can tell you that, if I am reading the serial number on the Elgin Movement correctly (804255), according to the Elgin database it is a 15 jewel, grade 4, 16 size novement built in 1881. This movement was made from 1879-1894 and had a total run of 31000 made. A lot of the value can also be in the case depending whether 10k or 14 k gold filled or solid gold.

As far as I can tell from the photo this is a Gold filled Hunter case.This would put a retail of somewhere between about $75-$250 US with much depending on condition and servicing. This would appear to be a common movement.

Don't misunderstand me....all these old pieces have value and it is great to hang on to them to preserve history. Sometimes the sentimental value is priceless but the watch itself just doesn't command big dollars.

If you can give some better movement photos on the others I'll do what I can to help.

These are good looking watches.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

Waltham and Elgin are two well know American watch Co's. The two white dials will probably be porcelain, and one looks in good condition, and the others not bad, but appears to have a couple of hairline cracks.

Kip gave you info on the Elgin mov't, but the other one is old too, probably around turn of the century (ish) I'd say?!!

What does your friend intend to do with them??

If you want some more info, might be worth putting something up on the 'Vintage and Pocket watch' forum on WUS?!! :)
John
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Thanks so far guys,

I think they are negleted, and will never see the light of day. I think that she would sell them if they were worth a load of money, otherwise keep them for sentimental reasons, I doubt she would spend the money on getting them serviced, if she sold them I doubt she would spend them money on anything other than a decent bottle of wine, or some new Golf Clubs, I think this is sad, as they like all these things should be used/enjoyed rather than abandoned and eventually thrown away.

I will take better photo's of them for you to look at and comment on, as speaking to her this morning she is delighted with the History you have already provided, and thinks you are really nice guys for taking the trouble to look (brownie points there then)

regards and thanks jimbo
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side