C60 SOSi Repair

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
fussell001

C60 SOSi Repair

Post by fussell001 »

Hi All,
I've just sent my C6SOSI in for repair, bought it 2009 (?) had the movement replaced 6 months after I bought it under warranty.
Took it to high street watch shop for a new battery, was told it wouldn't work and needed a new movement.
Got an email for CW, "our technicians have thoroughly inspected your watch and have diagnosed the following issues - Repair."
Hmmmm now I'm no watch technician but I could probably have told them that.
Cost of 'generic repair' £115!
Now I love this watch, it is my go-to for holidays, seems indestructible, water-proof, etc. But, it cost me around £180.
High street watch repairers say they can replace movement for £75.
Is there any reason I should go with a repair from CW?
Cheers,
Russell
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Re: Poor Service Provided by Christopher Ward

Post by DavecUK »

fussell001 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 pmCost of 'generic repair' £115!
Now I love this watch, it is my go-to for holidays, seems indestructible, water-proof, etc. But, it cost me around £180.
High street watch repairers say they can replace movement for £75.
Is there any reason I should go with a repair from CW?
On a watch of that value...If they can replace the movement for £75, then it seems obvious to go for that assuming it's a like for like replacement and as long as they don't damage the hands. I guess even if they damage the hands they can source something quite similar quite easily.

For me Quartz watches tend to be use them until they stop working, then get rid or have a new movement. So far my old Casio tough solar waveceptor has run for over 15 years....when it breaks it goes in the bin. Same for my Bulova 262 kHz, I'll change the batteries until it doesn't work one day then in the bin (but it only cost £80). Actually servicing/repairing a normal Quartz movement for me personally doesn't seem worthwhile.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Russell,

Congratulations on your first post, over 10 years after joining the forum! That must be some kind of record! :)

I'm assuming that you haven't had your C6 serviced in the 10 years you've had it (I know it's quartz, not automatic, but they still need servicing occasionally), so it's probably due a little TLC. On that basis, personally I would let CW fix it. They know the model and will do what's needed and re-seal it all for you afterwards.

I wouldn't trust any "high street watch repairer". They tend to be fronted by numpties, who are dressed in white coats to give a false air of credibility, but who do not know what they are really doing and have to send off anything non-standard to some head office that won't treat your watch with any care. Best avoided. If you don't want to use CW then use a reputable independent watchmaker. But, personally, I'd use CW for a C6.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
fussell001

Post by fussell001 »

welshlad wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 pm Russell,

Congratulations on your first post, over 10 years after joining the forum! That must be some kind of record! :)

I'm assuming that you haven't had your C6 serviced in the 10 years you've had it (I know it's quartz, not automatic, but they still need servicing occasionally), so it's probably due a little TLC. On that basis, personally I would let CW fix it. They know the model and will do what's needed and re-seal it all for you afterwards.
Ha ha... Eagle eyed Moderator. :clap: Is there a prize...? May be a lovely shiny watch shaped prize...!!

I was looking at another post talking about changing it up to an automatic. But, that seems a little too involved.

You are most likely right re. TLC.

I turn 50 next year, could do with a service and some TLC myself. :D

Cheers.
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

welshlad wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 pm Russell,

I wouldn't trust any "high street watch repairer". They tend to be fronted by numpties, who are dressed in white coats to give a false air of credibility, but who do not know what they are really doing and have to send off anything non-standard to some head office that won't treat your watch with any care. Best avoided. If you don't want to use CW then use a reputable independent watchmaker. But, personally, I'd use CW for a C6.
Watch Doctors in Tring are great. Ive used them many times over the years. Better price and much quicker than CW...