The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

A place to discuss other watch-brands
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: The

Post by atnits »

Alex r wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:23 am Nothing confirmed yet but it is the only black bay left with the ETA movement. So in house could be on the cards Image

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
Ah, ok. I hope it happens. And I think I'd go with black.
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

Post by Alex r »

Black would be my choice as well. The blue is nice but I think the black is more versatile and I all ready have blue covered with the Orient.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:51 am
stefs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:21 am header_laureato.jpgBloomin AVO posted another picture of this beaut which reminded me just how much I want one. I bet my black sub is cowering terrified in the corner of the watch box right now!
Saw this post in passing. Well that was prophetic!
Yeah, go on, blame me why don’t you? :lol:

Seriously, Paul, if you are not getting on with it I will look after it for a short while – say about 20 years.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:51 am
stefs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:21 am header_laureato.jpgBloomin AVO posted another picture of this beaut which reminded me just how much I want one. I bet my black sub is cowering terrified in the corner of the watch box right now!
Saw this post in passing. Well that was prophetic!
Yeah, go on, blame me why don’t you? :lol:

Seriously, Paul, if you are not getting on with it I will look after it for a short while – say about 20 years.
That's so sweet of you Steve. What a true gent!
Cheers now, Paul
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Only a small dream but still one of these and I've decided what to move on to make it a reality
Neil
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

neil8fletcher3 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 am Only a small dream but still one of these and I've decided what to move on to make it a reality
I’m waiting to see the white version(s).
Tim
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

I have thought about getting the white to add some variety to the collection but the black would get more wear
Neil
Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Arbor22 »

neil8fletcher3 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:24 pm I have thought about getting the white to add some variety to the collection but the black would get more wear
I've been tempted by a couple for sale over at tzuk, I'm edging closer to the 36mm although that's smaller than anything I currently have and I'm still not sure about that clasp but it is a seriously good looking watch
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

I'm planning to wait until April (ish) when the white version and hopefully the new bracelet are being released
Neil
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

This. But I quite like my house and don't think it's a good idea to sell it to buy a watch! But it is rather lovely. Pic taken yesterday at the AP boutique in Bangkok (they wrap new watches in cling film here, so excuse pic quality).

'Tis me
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Caller wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:24 pm This. But I quite like my house and don't think it's a good idea to sell it to buy a watch! But it is rather lovely. Pic taken yesterday at the AP boutique in Bangkok (they wrap new watches in cling film here, so excuse pic quality).

Oh that looks like a new 1159. Did you take any side on pics to show the case profile and cut away lugs?

As to selling a house, it would have been far worse if you were taken by the Minute Repeater Supersonnerie at SFr295,000! :shock:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

nbg wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:50 pmOh that looks like a new 1159. Did you take any side on pics to show the case profile and cut away lugs?

As to selling a house, it would have been far worse if you were taken by the Minute Repeater Supersonnerie at SFr295,000! :shock:

Neil
Very true and no I didn't. I didn't take the wrist shot either. I was shaking too much with a 35k+ watch on my wrist - it's my wrist though! Here's a mini review I wrote about it:

'The clarity isn't perhaps as great as could be expected, that's because the markers and hands are made from white gold and they're not as bold as they could be, especially when compared to a similar arrangement on Omega's DSOTM, where the markers are hands are white gold but the design is less understated.

And that appears the design ethos of this new range - understated. It's the complete opposite of the Royal Oak and especially the Offshore. The RO sings out AP, these new watches are far more discreet. It's certainly not about being a display of wealth. But everything is new on these watches - the case and lug design, the dials, the 3 new movements and of course the overall design, with the only reference to the RO being the subtle hexagonal shape of the case - which had a really nice feel to it.

My favourite is the blue dialled chrono so that's what went on the wrist. I can't recall if the cases are 41 or 42mm, but it fitted like a glove. The weight was perfect. You could feel it on your wrist, but it was very comfortable, not heavy in any way. It wore a bit higher than I was expecting, but well within sensible levels. The strap was comfort personified and looked, to my eye's at least, suitable for all occasions. The taper didn't bother me as much as I thought it would and the design works well with the watch head. The dial is superb. It's a very dark, lacquered, almost midnight blue, with a tachy around the outside.

But even on the wrist you notice the clarity issue. There is no problem with the lighter shaded sub dials, but the pics catch what I am getting at. Wouldn't stop me wanting one though, it's not as if you're having to maneuver the watch around to see it, but maybe a subtle movement of the wrist will be needed occasionally. But I would have thought that this only applies to the white gold models.

The new movement viewed via the exhibition case back was a movement freak's w*t dream! I mean it looked gorgeous, albeit the gold rotor had been stopped from moving. I could imagine spending as much time looking at the back as I would at the front.

I asked if they knew whether a stainless steel version could be expected in the future, but they had no idea. I hope so, because this range of watches is out of reach for mere ordinary mortals. The blue white gold chrono is priced at UK 35k!'

But about the lugs, they work very well with the case design, albeit hardly innovative. It's as you would expect, a well engineered quality piece. Silly price though! I have met the SE Asian rep for AP at an exhibition they held in Bangkok, of I think 50 watches from their museum in Switzerland, so I might drop him a line asking about a SS option, but in hindsight, if they do anything, I guess it will be titanium.
'Tis me
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ Thanks, that is an interesting write up. :thumbup:

I think in many ways, the watch is an interesting mix of sporty and dress. With the new case being sporty, but the dial more elegant and formal with those slim hands and no lume.

Still at those prices it becomes more of a theoretical discussion point!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@caller - interested in your perception of the clarity.

Might it have been influenced (diffused) by the cling film around the watch or was that just for trying the watch out on the wrist?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: The

Post by Caller »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:20 pm @caller - interested in your perception of the clarity.

Might it have been influenced (diffused) by the cling film around the watch or was that just for trying the watch out on the wrist?

Guy
Well, I'm sure it didn't help and it's absoultely standard here to cover a new watch in film, not just for trying on - at least the pricier ones.

As much as anything I based the clarity on the white gold, blued dialled three hander which I also had a good look at. The dial is dark and the hands and markers are slim and white gold or not, resemble SS. On the 3 hander, it didn't work for me. The rose(?) gold cased watches were much clearer in comparison. But please don't get me wrong, I would happily live with it, it wasn't a major problem. From the wactches previously shown, two each of rose and white gold were on display, as well as a white dialled 3-hander which I wasn't previously aware of. I didn't like that all. I'm not sure the lacquered white dial has the appearance they were hopng for, there's a lot of dial on show and it didn't work for me.

There were a few people in the boutique whilst I was there and maybe it's early days or the otherr punters weren't so much into watches and weren't aware of the new models, because they were all showing interest in the usual AP suspects, or maybe the new models were simply poorly displayed, as I didn't notice them at first and I visited specifically to view them. It was only when I asked, that I was shown where they were displayed!
'Tis me