Sales Corner

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Sales Corner

Post by iain »

I’m interested to hear if there is any feedback to the changes to the sales corner rules which took place several months ago. To recap, the old rule was any member needed a post count of 30+ to even enter sales corner, but once in they were in. This changed to 50+ posts to sell, but only 5+ to view and buy.

There was often much debate prior to the change on here about whether the rules where too strict or not strict enough. We often had comments from new members asking or complaining about the rules, which often drew criticism from other members. One thing I have noticed is that since the rules change, these type of comments have stopped completely and I see this as a positive. But has there been any other noticeable changes?

As someone who has never sold or bought through sales corner, I’m looking for comment from those who have as I don’t know the answers.

The post count to sell increased. Has this resulted in greater security for members? Or has it seen a drop in the number of watches for sale? As someone who could not access sales corner before the rule change, I honestly don’t know the answer to this question.

Also the post count to sell went down. Again, what impact has this had? Has anyone selling items had any concerns about new members trying it on, or has it been a positive thing with more sales happening as there are now more people window shopping?

I’m not wanting to reopen the argument about whether the rules should be changed, I’m just genuinely interested about what the impact of altering them has been.

Thanks
Iain
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Sales Corner

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It was something that we debated at some length before making the changes.

Basically, it seems a bit silly to deny new members the opportunity to develop and enhance their collections if other members are willing to sell to them. We retained the requirement to make five posts because that is where we initially moderate what new members are posting, try to eliminate spammers and so forth.

However, at the same time we increased the requirement for writing in Sales Corner. A lot of the thinking here was to try to discourage people from joining the forum merely in order to sell a watch and speed posting their way to 30!

There was a small amount of negative reaction to the rules in the recent survey, but on the whole people seem to be very positive about it.

And of course, no one is under any obligation to buy from or sell to a particular individual.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Thanks for the comments Steve. I was around when the rules changes were being debated and recall many of the for and against arguements.

Has there been any evidence to say whether the rules changes have had a positive or negative effect on sales corner?

I suppose what I’m seeking is anecdotal evidence from those who use sales corner enough to say whether things are now better or worse than they were before.

Iain
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
downer

Post by downer »

I have no factual measure, but my perception is that the number and quality of listings has not dramatically altered one way or the other, and since the 50 post restriction is only intended to act as an additional layer of security, we can be thankful that (afaik) we have not experienced any problems since it was introduced.

I have seen issues of fraud and misrepresentation on other forums where the minimum post counts do not exist, but even with the rules on this forum it remains a ‘buyer beware’ situation.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

One thing I have noticed is that there have been quite a few watches that have languished in Sales Corner for months. In theory, allowing new members to see them on here should perhaps mean that they will clear faster.

So I assume one of several scenarios here: the watch is perhaps not competitively priced; it was put up for sale at a time of year when people are not generally buying from Sales Corner; or perhaps it is just a watch that is not generally attracting people – after all the owner is trying to move it on, isn’t he?

I don’t really know. I used Sales Corner 3 times last year and got three excellent deals. One of the watches I had been looking for anyway, but the other two were opportunist buys. I just happened to look at the right time.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

It is apparent that some people use sales corner to sell/buy watches but input little or nothing else to Forum life.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:42 am One thing I have noticed is that there have been quite a few watches that have languished in Sales Corner for months.
It is highly probable that some sales are not followed up by the sellers returning to mark their threads 'Sold', even though it is a forum rule to do so.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

+1
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Amor Vincit Omnia

scooter wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:11 am
It is highly probable that some sales are not followed up by the sellers returning to mark their threads 'Sold', even though it is a forum rule to do so.

scooter
That is certainly true, though there are also quite a few watches on there that have received multiple bumps by the OP over a period of months.
Steve

scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Let's hope that the 'multiple bumps' have not damaged the watches too much.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^Incabloc!
If ya ain’t got it, don’t knock it!
Steve.