WR Testing practices at CW.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

WR Testing practices at CW.

Post by Blackdog »

Hello, I'm new to the brand and currently expecting to receive a Trident Pro 600.

Is it known what are the brand practices regarding the WR testing of the watches ? Are they following the ISO 6425 recommendations regarding their dive watches ?

I'm asking because I have been generally disappointed by the way most microbrands seem to operate, by claiming some outrageous WR figures and never testing the watches before leaving the factory. Then it's a hit or miss situation, and a supposedly 600m WR watch can actually fog under a shower...

CW being somewhat (you may tell me how much so) above the general microbrand status, do they have more consistent testing policies ?

Thanks for the enlightenment.
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Re: WR Testing practices at CW.

Post by richtel »

Welcome to the forum!

No matter what CW may say, I suspect you'd not be satisfied by anything other than independent anecdotal experience to confirm or deny post-casing presure testing at the factory.

Another way of viewing the question is to consider how often we hear of CW divers taking on water and you could bet that if it were a common occurence we'd hear about it on this forum. I've only been hanging around here for four years but I don't recall one diver failing which was properly secured with a tight crown.

Added to which, CW do stipulate (again, their word for it) that when watches are serviced they are pressure checked. I see no reason to doubt they they do that both when servicing and on the assembly line.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Yes I too can't recall hearing of anyone having WR issues with the Trident....and it is their biggest selling watch.

I haven't dived with a Trident but have been swimming quite a bit in a few of mine without any problem whatsoever.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Been here 5 years never recall a failure
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well, I don’t dive but my C60 Trident 600 GMT is my go to travel watch. It has been in the sea, in the pool, in lots of showers and jacuzzis and shows no sign of leaking.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I’ve done the usual bath/shower bot, as well as swimming pool and snorkelling with my C60 300 and never had an issue.
I’m not a true diver, so I can’t vouch for how well it performs at real depths, but I’ve also never heard of anyone having a genuine failure at depth either.
If you’re really keen to get an exact figure for your own watch, is there an independent jeweller or watchsmith near you who can pressure test? The chap I take my watches to always performs a 100m pressure test with his own testing kit as part of every mechanical movement service (and battery change if you ask him to)

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

On the occasions, recently, I have had a CW watch serviced and/or repaired, included with the paperwork on its return, has been a pressure test certificate.

I presume, therefore, that a watch is pressure tested as part of the manufacture.

@Blackdog - For certainty, perhaps you should put your question direct to CW.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Blackdog wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:44 pmAre they following the ISO 6425 recommendations regarding their dive watches ?

I'm asking because I have been generally disappointed by the way most microbrands seem to operate, by claiming some outrageous WR figures and never testing the watches before leaving the factory. Then it's a hit or miss situation, and a supposedly 600m WR watch can actually fog under a shower...
Not too many brands fully follow the ISO recommendations as far as I am aware.

It's also worth pointing out that CW are far from being a microbrand. I have been here for 5 years now and can't recall ever hearing of a CW dive watch failing, including mine (it was recently christened).

I am intrigued by your comments about microbrand dive watches, as I regularly swim in the pool and sea using 2/3 microbrands, without any problems whatsoever. However, I never take them into the shower.
'Tis me
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Caller wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:16 am Not too many brands fully follow the ISO recommendations as far as I am aware.

It's also worth pointing out that CW are far from being a microbrand. I have been here for 5 years now and can't recall ever hearing of a CW dive watch failing, including mine (it was recently christened).

I am intrigued by your comments about microbrand dive watches, as I regularly swim in the pool and sea using 2/3 microbrands, without any problems whatsoever. However, I never take them into the shower.
I have just received my Trident Pro 600 blue. In just above 24Hs since placing the order !

I have to say that I am VERY impressed by the quality of the product and the presentation. I see now that CW is more than just a couple of notches above a microbrand as I though, you're fully right about that.

Looking forward to resizing the bracelet this evening and start enjoying the watch.

Regarding my bad experience with micros, I have only tried two: Steinhart and Helson.

I have had two Steinharts, an O1 bronze that I still have and an O1 Vintage Legacy that I sold.
I had problems with the O1 Bronze, that flooded during a dive in Tenerife a few years ago. The crown became unscrewed during the dive, and clearly the tube seal was not enough to keep the water out. Not entirely their fault, though. I had to completely replace the movement on that one.
I see Steinhart often compared to CW. Now that I have handled both, they are not even in the same league in terms of finishing quality, IMO.

The second problem I had with a Helson Shark Diver. I was positively impressed with the general quality of the Sharkmaster 300 (homage to the 60s Seamaster 300) I bought from them last summer. And even after the major WR problems they had with their recent batch of Sharkmaster 600s (Ploprof homages) I decided to order a Shark Diver. My reasoning was that being a more traditional design in terms of seals and gaskets (like the SM300 is) it would be safe. But the finish was not on the same level of the Sharkmaster I have and the new watch failed the WR tests out of the box. This, together with the problems with the SM600s pretty much proves that they do not test the WR of the watches as part of their final inspection. So I sent it back for a refund.

And I'm so happy I did, because with that money and not much more I bought the CW which is a clearly much better watch in every possible sense.

Considering the price points and quality difference I now consider the Helsons to be overpriced.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Well, I don't know about Helson, but I wouldn't call Steinhart a microbrand either! Have a look at their new HQ!
'Tis me