0uatiOW Vintage SOTC

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

0uatiOW Vintage SOTC

Post by 0uatiOW »

Apologies, I haven’t found out how to rotate uploaded pictures.

I took a few pictures of my modest collection of vintage Swiss watches, which I’ve just assembled together in a new handmade box, brought back from Brazil in my suitcase.

None of these pieces is particularly remarkable or valuable, although value is definitely subjective, and I don’t think anyone with an interest in watches would deny that any of them are attractive examples of the genre, or they would have been so in their heyday.

ImageImageImage
I don’t know much about the provenance of these watches, nor even some of the manufacturers but all the timepieces date from the 50s or 60s, which reminds me, every time I pick one up, of the wonder of mechanical movements. The Omega and Enicar are automatic movements but the others are all manually wound. These little fellas are 60 or 70 years old and still running. Tell that to the Millennials with their Smart watches most of which will probably be discarded and replaced before the end of the decade.
ImageImageImage
Some of the crystals are a bit bashed up, and accuracy isn’t always the greatest. Some of them are overdue for a service, and the quickset date no longer functions on the Enicar, so I have to manually wind 24 hours to change one day.

The last of these I also bought last week at an antique market in Brazil, and it interested me because of the size (a stonking 38mm, which is huge for the era), and it’s unusual because it is a two-hander. I can’t see any markings on the movement, which ticks merrily, albeit slightly fast, in its functional ugliness. I’ve ordered an oak leather strap today from the CW sale.

I rarely wear these, saving them for formal occasions, which are few these days, but they do bring a smile to my face and now that I’ve put them in their own box, I’ve already started noticing them more.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: 0uatiOW Vintage SOTC

Post by timor54 »

Very interesting case.

The top looks like lacquered/polished thin-sections of nuts or seed pods?
Tim
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

timor54 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:19 am Very interesting case.

The top looks like lacquered/polished thin-sections of nuts or seed pods?
Thanks - it’s made of cross sections of different woods set into a black compound - no idea what, possibly a paste made of the flesh of a jenipapo fruit (joking - had some jenipapo bread which was black and surprisingly good). I’d expect it to be some organic material rather than chemical based - wood, nuts, seeds, tree fibres are used extensively.
Just call me Diderot
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

The Omega Seamaster has to be a classic, but my personal favourite is the Roamer with it's steel case and arrowhead markers.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:49 pm The Omega Seamaster has to be a classic, but my personal favourite is the Roamer with it's steel case and arrowhead markers.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Thanks Guy, i’m glad you like that Roamer - it is a strange beast. I like the black textured dial, and the gold coloured markers but I suspect the hands have been changed somewhere back in time, unless it’s just that the lume has eroded. The case is unusual because it’s completely self-contained - the lugs are attached to a ring which wraps around the case, the latter fitting into the ring from behind, without being attached with any permanence. Perhaps some of the experts might be able to share some details of that design. As it’s small, I was thinking of letting my boy have it but he’s not interested - yet, I’m still trying to convince him....
Just call me Diderot