Should I be afraid?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Re: Should I be afraid?

Post by monkeymax »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:22 pmWhich app do you use if you don’t mind me asking? I’m on iPhone and I currently use Truecaller. It’s not bad, but could be better.
Yep, TrueCaller; I used to have a custom build on the CyanogenMod version of Android which was ad free and slightly different, and used that for my phone. It was a bit rubbish at times, admittedly. However, I've recently swapped to a new Sony phone and I've installed TrueCaller. However, I still use the Sony caller for phone calls, but TrueCaller seems to now just sit 'on top' of it - in such a way that I get a notification from TrueCaller when a call comes in telling me who it is (and automagically hanging up on known spam callers) but the standard phone app also works in its usual way, front and centre. So I'm getting told who is calling without any of the fluff and annoyances I had with TrueCaller. Works nicely that way I find. Not sure if you can do that with the iPhone though.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Reminds me of the cold calling Conservatory guy...
It was great fun until I mentioned I lived in a first floor flat :lol:
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i never answer any call that i don't know the number. if you want to talk to me and i don't know you, leave a message.

if you don't leave a message, i google the number and if it shows up as spam, i block it.

i never have to deal with any calls like that.
the "g" is for Greg...
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Pretty much the same, Greg. I leave my landline on answering machine and if they don’t leave a message, ignore it. Friends and family always leave messages.

Having said that, I use the iPhone most of the time now and that is the one people tend to call. I use Wi-Fi assist at home because the signals in Dibley are still a bit antediluvian!

The one I get occasionally on the iPhone is the accident scam. Normally I just run it like this...

Hello my name is XXX I’m calling about the accident you were involved in that wasn’t your fault.

Whom do you wish to speak to?

Your insurers have sent us your details concerning an accident you were involved in that wasn’t your fault.

Have you been involved in an accident recently, in the last three years?

At this point they normally hang up.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

gwells wrote:i never answer any call that i don't know the number. if you want to talk to me and i don't know you, leave a message.

if you don't leave a message, i google the number and if it shows up as spam, i block it.

i never have to deal with any calls like that.
My modus operandi, pretty much, too.

Spam calls usually come up as Witheld, International or, recently, 020 8*** **** (outer London).

If I do answer a call its usually 'fault with your BT Internet connection'.

OK, I do have BT Internet, but only to get BT sport for free on my SkyTV and as a backup incase my Virgin Fibre Internet fails, so it isn't routinely switched on. I usually give cryptic answers to a few questions, after which one of us will end the call.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

We used to get loads of these bloody calls. Purchased a set of BT phones with "call guardian" built in and haven't had a single one since

If someone calls they hit the guardian first and have to record their name and press hash. Your phone's then ring and their name is played back. You then have 3 options...(press 1/2/3)

1-accept the Call and permanently add the number to the approved list in contacts. They will now come straight through in future, bypassing the guardian.

2- accept the call once. The next time they will hit the guardian again.

3- block the number. It will always go to voicemail.

Using the app, you can set the system to block entire prefixes, all internationals, all withelds etc, etc..... (Or any number of variations) Or block them at certain times of the day, but allow them through to the guardian at certain times.

As for the approved numbers, you can allow them to contact you all the time by flagging them as VIP, or allow them to call you at certain times, eg only during the day etc etc. During the do not disturb hours, they will be allowed through to the voicemail, but VIPs will always get through.

If they don't record a name, or don't hit hash, they ain't getting through, so automated diallers are banned.

The possibilities are endless and considering it is built in, costs nothing and the system only requires caller id to be activated on your phones it is bloody brilliant!

We haven't had a single nuisance call since the purchase.

As for the OP, don't worry, they will have moved straight on to someone else.....

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^Thanks for the reassurances folks. As you rightly say, they’ll just move on to the next victim.
Steve.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

He’s a scammer. He’s moved on. You’re nothing to him. Don’t worry.

@robotazky
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Thermexman - Thinking onward Steve, the guy who spoke with you probably didn't know who you are as your number was likely power dialed by their system, it rang, you answered, he was free to talk with you.

Was there a pause on the line between you answering the phone and him speaking? If so, indicative of the above.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^There may have been a pause Guy but I'm not entirely sure. In spite of his menacing tone, I think I'm over it now though.

I've had time to reflect and to think about it logically. If these scumbags had enough info on me to do damage, simply from my phone number, why would they be trying to trick me to give them control of my PC?

Yeah. Screw him!
Steve.