Dressy vs Sporty popularity

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Re: Dressy vs Sporty popularity

Post by johncolescarr »

timor54 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:06 pm I think that an appropriately styled sports watch is eminently suitable for any occasion.

I regard my Seamaster 300M as the ‘dressiest’ watch I own with its low profile and classic looks. It’s my first choice on the rare occasions I need to be ‘suited and booted’.
The only occasion I’d struggle with a sports watch is with black tie, but (un)fortunately for me I don’t get invited to any
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Since I packed in work 3 years ago I have worn a SS Sports watch, generally on a bracelet about 90% of the time.

In the 30 something years that I worked, full career with suit and tie (other than on “dress down Fridays”), I wore a SS Sports watch, generally on a bracelet about 90% of the time, albeit not a dive watch, other than sometimes on “dress down Friday”.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Apart from swimming, I’ll probably wear any watch that takes my fancy that day, regardless of where I may be going. Mind you, dress watches make up a rather small proportion of my collection which is probably 90% sporty watches, unless you count a few dual purpose ‘dressy’ divers, or ‘dressy’ chronographs.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Clarky »

downer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 pm I reckon forums present a skewed view of the popularity of different types of watches. Clearly, on most forums it seems to be about 90:10 in favour of sporty watches. However, if you look at a typical jewellers window, it is probably closer to 50:50.
Except a rolex display window..... you will only see dressy watches as they don’t seem to sell sports watches anymore unless you are on “the list” :silent:
I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
actuary

Post by actuary »

Most watches I see worn at work (business casual dress, occasional suit and tie) is mainly divers.
fbd223
Junior
Junior

Post by fbd223 »

Since some of the "sport" watches have been updated to be more office-friendly - Tudor Black Bay as an example, the dress watch market could shrink over time expect at the high end
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting thread, this. I was once very much guilty of subscribing to the perceived dichotomy that only dressy type watches could be worn with a collar and tie at work, whereas more sporty watches (which I didn’t altogether care for) were reserved for more casual attire and pursuits.

Over the last couple of years, however, I have performed, if you will, a volte-face and have realised that the above is a complete load of tosh!

I have begun, for one thing, to develop a fairly strong antipathy towards any kind of formality, ceremony or occasion when certain modes of dress are prescribed. Given the choice a suit and tie is probably the last thing I would choose to wear. I shall have an auto-da-fé of these hateful items when I retire.

Whereas once upon a time I would not have worn a dive watch for work under any circumstances, I am more than happy to pole up at the old Captain Kirk sporting a Mako or my Trident GMT these days. Equally, I am happy to wear something more conservative and dressy such as my vintage Longines or my Cartier Tank with T-shirt and jeans. Or preferably summer shirt, shorts and espadrilles.

Although my tastes are trending towards slightly larger and sportier watches (with a newly found interest in black dials for legibility) there is still room in my heart and my collection for the vintage and the dressy.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)