C5 Malvern 595 - Technical questions!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
MatthewThomas21
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 4

C5 Malvern 595 - Technical questions!

Post by MatthewThomas21 »

Ok - so I have been loving my new C5 Malvern 595 for a few days now...but I have a pretty simple question. Based on what I have read in the manual about winding the watch there was one bit that stuck out for me - the 'Do not overwind' caution....
So apparently I am meant to feel some resistance when winding? Maybe I just can't feel that...or I have never wound it enough but I certainly don't feel any resistance!

So my question is - how much winding is too much? In the past for hand wound I have always gone by the 3 rotations rule...but I have no idea how much to actually wind this.

Any thoughts?
I was standing on the edge of the world...and I can't see it.

c9 JH MK1
C70MC
C5 Malvern595
C9 Pulsometer
C1 MoonGlow
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: C5 Malvern 595 - Technical questions!

Post by Thermexman »

If you keep winding it, you will, eventually, find that it stiffens up, then resists. You must be careful not to wind too fast as you could shoot straight through the resistance, as the manual warns. Just take your time and do it slowly and carefully.
Steve.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

If you wind it and it doesnt stop, then its broken.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

golfjunky wrote:If you wind it and it doesnt stop, then its broken.
I think that is a fair summary Greg. :)

For OP: Yes there will be resistance, however by winding with normal finger pressure it will be evident when you hit full resistance. The force required to break the watch by over winding, would be more than a normal person would exert using a finger and thumb winding action.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MatthewThomas21
Junior
Junior

Thanks All! guess I just have not hit the resistance carrier yet....and was a bit concerned of over doing it :)

c9 JH MK1
C70MC
C5 Malvern595
C9 Pulsometer
C1 MoonGlow
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Matthew, I have been winding watches like this for donkeys' years and I ain’t broken one yet! Once you get to feel the point of resistance it becomes totally obvious – that is true for all manual watches, even my rather delicate 1880s key wound fusée pocket watch. Just take it slowly.

When I was a child people never had this problem because the manual wind watch was normally the only type they had ever known.

I blame all these daft automatics, solar powered, kinetic and battery operated things. :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Each of my manual wind watches behaviour differently. My advice is take your time and get to know their peculiarities.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I have the 2015 C5 Slimline FLE handwound. I've never even come close to overwinding it, I probably wind it maybe 20-30 times and will feel slightly more resistance then stop. I agree if you wind steadily you will notice as it starts to give more resistance so there shouldn't really be any danger of overwinding it.

I'm not sure if I understood the OP's point about winding for 3 rotations, it will take a lot more winds than that.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
MatthewThomas21
Junior
Junior

I hit the resistance barrier :) Haha - its quite obvious when you get to it!!!

Thanks for the replies :)

@Amor - yes all those damfangled automatics (my JH and clogau) Solar powered (2 citizens) and quartz (C90 MC) but you missed out the electronic ones!

(On the 3 rotations bit, what I meant was that you wind it fully 3 rotations, so you can use the symbol on the crown to know where it starts/finishes. I HONESTLY cannot remember where I got that from, clearly someone who did not own a hand-wound watch!)

c9 JH MK1
C70MC
C5 Malvern595
C9 Pulsometer
C1 MoonGlow