A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

I Have a Visitor...

Post by gaf1958 »

...and it has a party trick!

More specifically it's a Visitor Vale Park Officer, an Art Deco inspired watch from the company that produced that weirdly wonderful watch, the Duneshore a few years back. Try as I can, I've been unable to find a Duneshore for sale at anything other than a truly exorbitant price, so I'm happy to wait until the next release of the 44mm Duneshore.

This one, which I was also interested in, comes in at a somewhat more svelte 39.5mm across, 46mm L2L and 11.6mm thick. The steeply curved (drilled) lugs mean that its sits very nicely on the wrist; I've been wearing it for a couple of hours and (apart from looking at it) I've hardly noticed it on.

The party trick I mentioned? That hearkens back to gentler times, as does the styling. It's a fully hinged concealed "pocket watch" style caseback. That plain back plate opens to reveal a very nicely decorated Miyota 9015 movement and inner back perlage.

The dial is a dual layer affair, with the dial cross hairs and some of the teardrop shaped lume pips being cut through to the lumed layer beneath, with the 12, 3, 6 and 9 pips, the minute track and the Visitor name being lumed onto the dial. The second hand is almost full stealth, except for the lumed plot at the very tip. Oh, yes, there's no date to mess with either. Along with the Art Deco case styling, the "wingtip" strap is also a very nice touch.

I have a feeling this (as was the Duneshore) will be very much a marmite watch. I'm firmly in the "love it" camp.

So, to some photos...

The unadorned caseback opens (by unscrewing the crown slightly)...

...to reveal this.

Visitor "Lion" logo in gold, cutaway rotor and Geneva striping on the movement. Better than your average 9015.

Nicely curved lugs...

...and "wingtip" strap.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: I Have a Visitor...

Post by BerlinCW »

Greetings,

It's always good to have a visitor bringing surprises.

I agree with the marmite label, I'm not sure.

However, the use of a pocket watch style caseback is very logical and unusual.

Has anybody else done this?

Enjoy your visitor!
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Gary when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be pics of exotic wildlife, that had made it's way into your garden and was taking a dip in your pool! :)

Then I noticed it was in "other brands "!

I really like the dimensions and shape of the case and the strap looks great. :thumbup:

However you did say it was a marmite watch - I really don't like the handset, plots or position of the brand name.

The hinged case back is quirky - still done on a couple of PPs I think.

How do you rate the overall quality?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

That. Is. Awesome.

Visitor is probably the only microbrand that does something truly unique.

ImageImageImageImageImage
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

I Have a Visitor...

Post by gaf1958 »

nbg wrote:Gary when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be pics of exotic wildlife, that had made it's way into your garden and was taking a dip in your pool! :)
That would be great, but unfortunately not in this case :)
nbg wrote:I really like the dimensions and shape of the case and the strap looks great. :thumbup:

However you did say it was a marmite watch - I really don't like the handset, plots or position of the brand name.
I don't expect this to be everyone's cuppa by any means. I like it though, and that's what counts - unless I should decide to sell it! Better keep it then... :wink:
BerlinCW wrote:Has anybody else done this?
nbg wrote:The hinged case back is quirky - still done on a couple of PPs I think.
I think Neil has provided an answer!
nbg wrote:Gary How do you rate the overall quality?
Neil, the finishing looks to be very, very nice. The case has some beautifully executed finish changes (brushed to polished) at some difficult spots (e.g. where the lugs meet the case - the sharp internal corner must be very hard to do well). The dial is very nicely executed, even if not to everyone's taste. :wink:

Someone has done a really nice job decorating the usually plain Jane Miyota; I wasn't so keen on the rotor in photos (not keen on the gold), but it's very nice in reality and the other decoration lifts the look considerably.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

sinner777 wrote:That. Is. Awesome.
Thanks :) It is indeed. Hoping to pick up a Duneshore as well somewhere along the way...
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

gaf1958 wrote:The hinged case back is quirky - still done on a couple of PPs I think.

It as also been used by others , Frederique Constant and Alpina come to mind , im sure there are others . But I have to say I like the Visitor watch . The case shape and lugs are lovely . The decoration to the inside back cover and the 9015 movement are very , very nice . A very nice addition to your collection Gary , im sure you will enjoy it :D
Bernie
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nigelb001 »

Haven't come across Visitor before so thanks for posting Gary. I really like the detail on these, very nice and the case back is a welcome surprise. This is the one for me though, the Duneshore Shallows but not available to pre-order yet. Website duly bookmarked :D

CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

The case, hinged display case back and strap all make this a rather unusual and quirky watch Gary.

I'm not immediately sold on the face/hands but maybe those would grow on me.

An interesting addition to your collection :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

If anyone wants a link and code to order one of these straight away without going on the waiting list let me know. I signed up back in 2016 for a pre order, but the decided against it. I have just checked the link and code that Phillip sent me and it does still work (I can't believe my place is still reserved and open!!), and the watch would be dispatched within 1 day (or so it says when I put the code in using my link).
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

gaf1958 wrote:
sinner777 wrote:That. Is. Awesome.
Thanks :) It is indeed. Hoping to pick up a Duneshore as well somewhere along the way...
I had opportunity to get one few years ago, in EU. It would probably drive me nuts with polished finish and 44 mm size but the design is...I dont know how to describe it. Steampunk dress watch. Lumed date wheel and curved see though caseback. Stunning.