Ditching diesel

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: Ditching diesel

Post by gaf1958 »

Thermexman wrote:She got in and said "how do I move the seat"? I drove home! :lol:
Memory seat positioning. Love it. Porsche call it "comfort entry". Turn the engine off, open the door and the steering wheel moves up and forward and the seat moves all tend way back. Put the key in and the seat moves back to "my" preferred position. Start it up and the steering wheel shifts to my spot. It's all stored on the key and my wife's key retains her settings. Add three additional stored memory settings for each front seat, accessible via buttons on the door.

It's the old story... Now that I've gotten used to it, I wonder how I ever lived without it. :lol:
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
downer wrote:^^^ You are probably right, Kevin. :)

I’ve had the Q3 for a little over a week now, and overall I’m pleased with it. I’m still messing with the seat/wheel - trying to achieve that “perfect” driving position, and the steering feels very light at the moment, but otherwise - no complaints. It’s quite nippy and above all, quiet.
Light steering is potentially a factor of not having a heavy TDI 'lump' under the bonnet. Comparing the 2.0TDI Yeti vs a 1.8TSI Yeti the petrol version is overall lighter to drive.

However, do you have a 'driving mode' selection somewhere? i.e. Eco/normal/sport/individual. If so, the sport setting of the steering gives some extra weight to it and you can use the individual to program sport steering with normal everything else. (feature is on Skoda Octavia, Superb & Kodiac so ought to be on the Q3 too).

For your driving position, seats are about the one thing I like about AUDI as they are base on Recaro ones (IIRC Recaro seats are an option on some models) and Recaro have a very useful video to get the correct seating position in a car.

Hope this helps.

Guy
Thanks Guy. I suspect you are right about the car feeling light compared with the A4. This week I had an S-Class as a rental (gotta love the Hertz loyalty upgrades!), so the comparison was perhaps even more obvious - and in truth I've only driven the Q3 about 300 miles so far.

As for "drive select", I have set it to "dynamic", which is supposed to add weight to the steering as well as sharpen up the throttle response and gearbox. So far, I think the differences are quite minimal.

The seat position is about right now, but as you know, it's possible to tweak most aspects these days, so getting it "just right" takes a bit of experimentation. I prefer the seat to be quite upright, but also not too high.

As for the car, here's a quick snap from the local supermarket car park this morning:

Richard
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

gaf1958 wrote:
Thermexman wrote:She got in and said "how do I move the seat"? I drove home! :lol:
Memory seat positioning. Love it. Porsche call it "comfort entry". Turn the engine off, open the door and the steering wheel moves up and forward and the seat moves all tend way back. Put the key in and the seat moves back to "my" preferred position. Start it up and the steering wheel shifts to my spot. It's all stored on the key and my wife's key retains her settings. Add three additional stored memory settings for each front seat, accessible via buttons on the door.

It's the old story... Now that I've gotten used to it, I wonder how I ever lived without it. :lol:
Yeah, that's fine until they have to kill the electrics to run a software upgrade, all "22 way" (whatever the hell that means) settings are erased, and you can't remember how you had the seat........ :cry:

D'ya remember the good old days when you only had forwards & backwards, and the back rest to adjust!!!!!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

smegwina wrote:Yeah, that's fine until they have to kill the electrics to run a software upgrade, all "22 way" (whatever the hell that means) settings are erased, and you can't remember how you had the seat........ :cry:
Maybe I'll take my wife's key next time it's serviced :) The settings are retained on the key independently of what happens with the car's electronics...
smegwina wrote:D'ya remember the good old days when you only had forwards & backwards, and the back rest to adjust!!!!!
Yes, but then the seats back then were not as comfortable as they are now. Well, mine weren't. :)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I am just waiting for audi to launch an etron version of the q3 and then I will be pestering the boss for one. Currently I have the A3 etron and it is fabulous although I feel fortunate to have been able to persuade the guvnor to spend that much on an A3 just to save me a bundle on company car tax!
The higher driving position would be the icing on the cake really.
Nice car Richard...enjoy it
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
downer

Post by downer »

Thanks, Paul.

I think you will have to wait for the new Q3 to get an etron. Probably 6-12 months from now...
Richard
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Nice choice Richard, looks fantastic in that colour combo. :thumbup:

I visited Munich with a colleague last year and we hired a pre-facelift Q3 for our commute to Nuremburg each day.
It was a 2.0 diesel, but I was suitably impressed as the car itself was pretty well refined (just a little bouncy once we got it going on the autobahn :lol: ) and was surprisingly quiet for a diesel.

I had the same intention as you back in April when I sold my 1.6d V60 R-Design (or as I liked to call her ... "the sheep in wolf's clothing") with the view to leasing either a 1.4TSi Seat Ateca or VW Tiguan.
Although I was quoted a minimum of 14-weeks for delivery and needed a car asap at the time, so ended up staying with diesel for another 2 years.
Ryan
downer

Post by downer »

StrappedUp wrote:Nice choice Richard, looks fantastic in that colour combo. :thumbup:

I visited Munich with a colleague last year and we hired a pre-facelift Q3 for our commute to Nuremburg each day.
It was a 2.0 diesel, but I was suitably impressed as the car itself was pretty well refined (just a little bouncy once we got it going on the autobahn :lol: ) and was surprisingly quiet for a diesel.

I had the same intention as you back in April when I sold my 1.6d V60 R-Design (or as I liked to call her ... "the sheep in wolf's clothing") with the view to leasing either a 1.4TSi Seat Ateca or VW Tiguan.
Although I was quoted a minimum of 14-weeks for delivery and needed a car asap at the time, so ended up staying with diesel for another 2 years.
Yes, that "bouncy" feeling at speed... Initially I noticed the light front end on this car, but I am slowly becoming accustomed to it. This week my rental car in Munich was a Ford Edge diesel, which is quite different again. Annoyingly, the Hertz desk allocated me a 5.0 Mustang convertible, but I had to swap it as I needed to have 4 seats - plus I can't imagine the fuel consumption of the Mustang when keeping up with the Bimmers on the autobahn. Still, last night getting into the Q3 after several hours of travel, it felt pretty good and I had a relaxed drive home.
Richard
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

That's a shame re. the Mustang. Saw my first UK rhd in Penarth a few weeks back, sound from it was incredible.

I actually saw another prior to that, but it was an ecoboost and therefore doesn't count :D
It needs to sound and drive like a V8, not just have the looks!

Funnily enough, I didn't see too many BMs on the autobahn, mainly V6 TDI Audi's. Now they are great engines.
My boss has a 320hp A7 TDI ... for such an enormous car, it goes like the clappers!
Ryan
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

My rental this week in Utah was a Ford Explorer XLT...what a lump!

V8 sounded good, but it was a total barge.... :shock: :lol:
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I'm obviously not smiling at the lady behind the desk in the right way.... my last USA "suv" hire was a Jeep Patriot :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

jtc wrote:I'm obviously not smiling at the lady behind the desk in the right way.... my last USA "suv" hire was a Jeep Patriot :lol:
You won't want to hear that it was a free upgrade either then... :lol:
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO
downer

Post by downer »

I always rent a Mondeo from Hertz. They’ve never given me a Mondeo.
Richard