CW Enthusiasts Facebook page

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: CW Enthusiasts Facebook page

Post by welshlad »

I like Facebook as a way of keeping in touch with friends and up to date on events. But I am wary of posting watch pictures to the CW Enthusiasts page (although I am a member) for the reasons Gary sets out. Although it is a closed group, there is no real vetting of new members, so anyone can join, including those with inappropriate motives. So I sometimes contribute to the debates or comments on others' pictures, but I don't post my own any more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

The posts on the thread today prompted me to tighten up the settings on my own Facebook page.

I am in the CW enthusiasts group - as a "looker", as its good to get a different perspective. However I have no intention of posting anything, as it's far too easy to join the dots between forum and FB identities. I am only on FB in the first place for communication with family and friends that live in different parts of the country to us and a few closed groups.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

gaf1958 wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Some of the fun, for those of us who are on both the Facebook Enthusiasts and the Forum, is to connect the real persona to forum alta ego.

Got you now baconeater. :wink:
Sorry to raise this thread again, but I've been thinking about this a bit recently. One of the big things with a forum such as this is the ability to post anonymously. This has its advantages as well as disadvantages (thinking of trolling etc, but that's NOT what my post is about).

Admittedly there are a reasonable number of people on this forum who know my real name etc, but by and large it's a group of people known by their forum names posting thoughts and photos of their sometimes quite expensive watches and watch collections.

We've had the occasional discussion here about security of our collections, insuring it etc, but never has there been the slightest thought that doing so is in any way raising the risk of having our lovely watches targeted and stolen. It would be a stretch indeed, to imagine that anyone could do that given the limited real world info about us.

Facebook however? I no longer use it as I was bombarded by the frequently meaningless minutiae of the lives of friends of friends. Facebook lives to inveigle itself into every aspect of our lives and expose our private thoughts and moments to the widest possible audience. It also does so using your real name, your location etc.
You've got friends with minutiae? :lol: :lol:

Actually I like to hear when my neighbour is going to take a shower as it gives me time to get round with the stepladders :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
gaf1958 wrote:As tempting as it is to join this group, the security concerns associated with posting watch pics in a forum such as Facebook genuinely concerns me.

Is this a simplistic, overly cautious viewpoint? Am I the only one to be concerned by this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

P.S. Apologies for using your post as an example Guy, but it was what made my mind tick over in this direction
I treat facebake like the conversation around the coffee machine/photocopier: simple to use, quicker to use than a forum (every second of my life is soooo precious hahaha!), more photos & fewer words and I do find that fb conversations don't become as entrenched as sometimes happens in forums. Not here, obviously, we're all too relaxed but certainly at other watch fora and at other special interest groups too - that one minute of fame syndrome.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
kevin_b1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by kevin_b1 »

I have also joined but honestly have been a member of FB for a few years and never posted a thing, I joined to see more photos and read articles but never with the intention of joining in, right or wrong.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
IWC Mark XVII
Rolex Oyster Datejust Perpetual (1971)
Rolex Precision 9ct gold (1962)
Rotary Les Originales
Rotary Tank
C9 5 day Chromometer
C1 Russell