Tax question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nordwulf

Re: Tax question

Post by nordwulf »

I don't think they charge tax on imported goods, just duty. And duty is only a few % anyways.

We often also don't pay sales tax if you buy from an online seller in another state, unless they have a physical store presence in your state. But that is changing now so most goods sold by Amazon will now be taxed, even if they don't have a distribution center/warehouse in your state. Guess the state governments were missing out on a lot of tax revenue.

And of course you'll have to tell the IRS at tax time if you bought any goods out-of-state that have not been taxed before. Not sure if many people do that though because they can't really track purchases.

Tax differ by state and it's 6% for Michigan. Still not as bad as the sales tax of around 20% in many countries in Europe.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

TheBeatles wrote:From a personal point of view, I have always shied away from purchasing from overseas because of the uncertainty.

There were a couple of watches from a member in Australia that I didn’t pursue for this reason.
If you live in the U.K. It's straightforward:

- Buy from elsewhere in the EU: nothing extra to pay

- Buy from outside the EU, whether new or pre-owned, regardless of who you purchased from: liable to VAT of 20% on import to the UK.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

nbg wrote:- Buy from elsewhere in the EU: nothing extra to pay
Guess that will change soon with Brexit? But then the sender in a EU country won't charge you sales tax on new items so it will basically be the same amount.