C5 Malvern Slimline

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Nicolas C.M.

C5 Malvern Slimline

Post by Nicolas C.M. »

Hi All,

I am very new to watches, and Christopher Ward is the second watch I have ever owned in my long, harsh 19 year old life. I bought the C5 Malvern Slimline that operates a hand winding movement, and I am in complete confusion about the proper amount of winding the watch needs. The manual says to wind the watch until you begin to feel resistance, but I feel some sort of resistance by the 5th revolution. I stop winding once I feel this "resistance", and the watch works for a day, but once I go to bed, I wake up to an idle watch. If anyone can help me understand this watch, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C5 Malvern Slimline

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello and welcome. It sounds as though you are very new to mechanical (and hand wound) watches. Therefore some anxiety is not unusual. Whereas if you grew up with hand wound watches it is quite obvious.

If the watch is working properly it should take between 30 and 40 winds to get it up to full power. It should then run for over 40 hours. It is normal to feel different levels of resistance with different watches, but when you have reached a fully wound state it is obvious. You will feel kind of stop mechanism and you cannot physically wind the watch any further. They are quite difficult to break but if you go gently it should be obvious when you reach that point. You will soon become confident with it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

Welcome to the forum - good watch choice for your first CW watch.

I have 4 slimlines and find that you need to turn the winder about 26 times (though I suppose it's actually 26 half turns) to get it fully wound.

Some people have wound theirs more times and there is no mechanism in the movement to stop you from overwinding the watch. This has lead to damaged movements and CWL not accepting them back for free repair.

If you search the forum, you find a number of posts talking about how easy it is to overwind the slimlines.

Paul
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sorry, Paul, I wound mine from dead this morning and I must tell you that there is a very definite stop!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

Has this watch been discontinued? It's in the clearance section but doesn't appear in the main watch section? Or is a new model in the pipeline?
CHRIS
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

DISJT wrote:Has this watch been discontinued? It's in the clearance section but doesn't appear in the main watch section? Or is a new model in the pipeline?
There's a new superthin model on the way - see Forum chat with CW thread
rhaythorne

Post by rhaythorne »

Hi Nicolas,

When you begin to wind the watch from its fully unwound state you should find that the crown (the winder) turns very easily indeed. As the mainspring that drives the watch begins to wind up you'll start to feel that the crown turns slightly more stiffly. This is normal, but the watch is not fully wound yet and will likely run down and stop after a few hours, as you've noted. So, continue to wind the watch carefully and, when the mainspring reaches a fully wound state, you will notice an abrupt and very definite resistance preventing you from turning the crown any further without a good deal more effort. Don't try to forcibly turn the crown beyond this point. Be careful and, once you recognise this "stop point", you'll be fine and the watch should run for a couple of days. I generally wind manual watches once a day each morning or evening to keep them going reliably. Hope this helps; enjoy your Malvern Slimline.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

What ever you do, don't over wind it.
Mine broke.

I do about 25 twizzles (half turns).
If worn on day two I give about 15 twizzles.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Trimadjules
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Trimadjules »

I purchased onde recently and found the same,
I let it run down then counted the turns but on the cautious side.
I am currently up to about 20 so these experts saying 25 sounds about right :D
Benjamin Franklin
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of.

Omega Speedmaster
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro
CW C5 Malvern square
CW C3 MALVERN CHRONOGRAPH MKII
G-Shock world time
Nicolas C.M.

Post by Nicolas C.M. »

rhaythorne wrote:Hi Nicolas,

When you begin to wind the watch from its fully unwound state you should find that the crown (the winder) turns very easily indeed. As the mainspring that drives the watch begins to wind up you'll start to feel that the crown turns slightly more stiffly. This is normal, but the watch is not fully wound yet and will likely run down and stop after a few hours, as you've noted. So, continue to wind the watch carefully and, when the mainspring reaches a fully wound state, you will notice an abrupt and very definite resistance preventing you from turning the crown any further without a good deal more effort. Don't try to forcibly turn the crown beyond this point. Be careful and, once you recognise this "stop point", you'll be fine and the watch should run for a couple of days. I generally wind manual watches once a day each morning or evening to keep them going reliably. Hope this helps; enjoy your Malvern Slimline.
Thanks for the response Rhay. I did what you said and I did reach that "stop point" you were talking about. My watch is running fine now, and I'll be sure to carefully wind my watch to avoid repairs.