What Puts You Off A Watch.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: What Puts You Off A Watch.

Post by nbg »

tempusmaximus wrote:Have you really liked a watch , but the date window or other feature , puts you off purchasing it . Take this Hamilton pilot pioneer automatic chronograph , I like the watch , but think it would look better without the date window . Is there a watch you really like , but something about the watch puts you off purchasing it (other than the price :D ) It can be anything from size , lugs , sub dials , font etc .

Bernie whilst what you have set out above is clear - I.e. not another thread about a group of things that may put you of a watch, but an example of specifics where ONE aspect of a particular watch you otherwise really liked prevented you from buying, it seems to have drifted a bit! :lol:

I thought I would try and answer your post, not just the heading of the thread. :)

- Nomos Orion: like the dial and for a Nomos the lugs look fine and match the case. The shape of the watch - feeling like a pebble in the hand is attractive. But after trying it on, it was the pebble shape that meant it didn't sit well on my wrist so it prevented me buying.

- Nomos Tangente: Ah that's better, still like the dial and the case shape means the watch head sits flat on the wrist. However the lugs just look wrong to me when it's on the wrist, so another no.

The result of the above was that I bought a Nomos Ludwig, which was originally my third choice Nomos. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

No. 1 is a badly placed and/or designed date window. It is surprising how often the date appears to be just thrown in at the last minute. Even on very high end Patek watches.
Bjørn
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

nbg wrote:but an example of specifics where ONE aspect of a particular watch you otherwise really liked prevented you from buying, it seems to have drifted a bit!
:lol: That's right Neil , perhaps I should have been a little clearer . I really wanted to know , what put you off a particular watch you would have purchased , if not for a certain feature . Nice choice on the Ludwig . I do like Nomos myself , but the lugs on certain models would put me off purchasing some of them .
Bernie
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Wis wrote:No. 1 is a badly placed and/or designed date window. It is surprising how often the date appears to be just thrown in at the last minute. Even on very high end Patek watches.

I agree :thumbup:
Bernie
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Analog quartz watches where the seconds hand does not line up with the seconds markers on the dial. Acceptable in a $20 watch but not in anything over a few $100.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Larger than 42 and anything too thick. Got to agree with avo that dressy style watches that are too thick just dont work for me.
Crap lume. If you are going to lume a watch then put plenty of the stuff on and use a decent one.
Diamonds...yuk
Finally big empty spaces at the top of the dial!
Cheers now, Paul
eventhorizon
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by eventhorizon »

Easy: watches that are too big.

"Too big" depends somewhat on the type of watch. A more sporty model, i.e. for diving or aviation, can work in a larger size, up to 40mm. Beyond that is a no-go for me, for comfort reasons.

On the other hand, I see no justification for a dress/casual watch being more than 38mm. The fact that the new standard "dress watch" size is now 40mm drives me batty. Such watches are all dial, with minimalist dials, so they wear even large than the size would suggest. It's crazy. It's like the world is under a mass hallucination. I applaud Nomos for having the cajones to continue offering 33mm versions of some models (which are on my wishlist, of course).

After that, virtually anything else is forgivable to me, unless the balance of the dial is thrown off, say, by awkwardly placed text or complications. This doesn't mean a watch must be doggedly symmetrical, but you intuitively feel whether a dial is balanced or not.
Eric
Tyrantblade
Junior
Junior

Post by Tyrantblade »

1st thing for me is size; if it looks fantastic, but it's small I won't go for it.

2nd is if it looks nowhere as nice as the price indicates AKA a ripoff (just my personal preference).

3rd; I'm no diver but what I like is dive watches usually in the 42-46mm case size, even if it's a thick watch (i had a Breitling Avenger II Seawolf, that's the biggest I would dare go).

4th; I hate anything that even looks close to vintage; so off color markers are a big no.

5th; watch must have an Automatic movement (or maybe quartz, but Auto is very much preferred) and be in full SS