Christopher Ward interview

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
cpt127
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Christopher Ward interview

Post by cpt127 »

If you go to www.realwatchreview.com you will find an interview with the man himself :shock:
krushy
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Re: Christopher Ward interview

Post by krushy »

V Interesting!

Two most interesting bits for me...

Chris is a Scouser (Is he a real Scouser or a plastic ?)

He is frustrated by the crashing website at Sale time...

So in conclusion he is the same as me :lol:
downer

Post by downer »

Thanks for the link. :)
Richard
Terminator 2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Terminator 2 »

I found one part of the interview particularly interesting.
RWR: To you personally, what is the most important feature or function of every single watch you own or desire?

Chris: That it can tell the time.... and is pleasing to the eye... and has a strap ... otherwise an iPhone would do...and we can’t have that!
I am not wishing to raise again the "bracelets are crap" debate. Most of us agreed on that already and I realise that Chris etc have now made a decision to change them in time. What interested me though in the interview is the comment that Chris made which indicates that as we are all human we all as a result will have different tastes. I guess your own preferences when you are in a position like Chris will no doubt filter down and have an affect on the goods that you produce. However I guess that your own preferences might make you miss out on weaknesses of other design aspects that dont float your own particular boat hence the pretty bad steel bracelets we currently have because you will not be as focused on the end result due to your own indifference.

The point I am making is that it would appear from the interview that Chris himself prefers straps on his own watches. I have always been happy with the quality and fitment of the CWL leather straps and Chris's preference for them shows in the detailing but my own leaning is towards bracelets rather than leather etc. I have no doubt that due to my own taste if I was Chris you lot would have stunning steel bracelets on your watches but I might also have cocked up on the leather as it doesnt really float my own boat. It just shows you that when you are smaller then your own decisions will often have a huge impact on the end product whearas large companies probably put designs in front of lots of people to iron out any flaws.

Interesting article and thanks for the link cpt127.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

krushy wrote:(Is he a real Scouser or a plastic ?)
He sounds real enough to me.

Interesting about the plans for the future - he's aiming a bit high, but I'm looking forward to my CW aftershave.
Thanks for the link cpt127.

I really don't get this 'plastic scouser' thing - who in their right mind would pretend to be a scouser? :twisted: :mrgreen:
Oh, hang on - the answer is in the question isn't it? :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:
<Loddonite goes searching for flame-proof suit>
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Lamps
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lamps »

FFS

reading to much into it springs to mind.

I was wondering how/when you were going to try and take the credit for the new bracelet.

Now remind me again, do you plan on buying a cwl before or after a change to the old bracelet?

Here's tip,

let it go
move on
change the record
shut up about it, for the love god, shut up about it!
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

RWR: If Christopher Ward watches could be described in three words what would they be?

Chris: Affordable and quintessentially English.

That's four words Chris 8)

By the way,i'm still not sure i 'like' that answer. I know ,i know...he wasn't asking me and it's not my business but i don't think the watch range now is at all 'quintessentially English'. I'm not even sure that you could use the word affordable now either. Maybe quality,value,style would be better?
<ramble over>
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Interesting article, thanks for the link. I am a great fan and admirer of the CW business model and look forward to seeing what the future holds. It is also nice that the Forum is mentioned! :)
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

krushy wrote:Chris is a Scouser (Is he a real Scouser or a plastic ?)
He's a genuine one who braves us soft southerners* at GTGs, growling at us in an incomprehensible guttural drawl and he spurns us when the boys in red are playing.

*I say that as someone whose nationality has "Northern" in the title and yet is still scared of Chris!
Terminator 2 wrote:I am not wishing to raise again the "bracelets are crap" debate
What, do you not like the bracelets, T2? Really? I can't think why. :? I think they're great! 8)
If Christopher Ward watches could be described in three words what would they be?
Chris: Affordable and quintessentially English.
village wrote:That's four words Chris 8)
I don't think the watch range now is at all 'quintessentially English'. I'm not even sure that you could use the word affordable now either. Maybe quality,value,style would be better?
+1 on that lot. Scousers obviously can't count, but I agree that £300 for a normal person is not "affordable" (the vast majority of people have watches costing a tenth of that) and the range of design now is wide enough not to be "English" in the way the C5, say, is. That said, it's all the better for this in my opinion, and the watches are still bloody amazing value.
patmac
Junior
Junior

Post by patmac »

Excellent short interview. Thanks for the link. So glad Chris agrees with me on the essentials of a great watch, ie tells the time, looks good, and has a strap. Simple, really!