Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: CW On eBay

Post by Tyke »

CBMVic20 wrote:
triffidman wrote:I've known people complain about the "horrific charges" before, what I say to them is that eBay gives you the biggest 'shop window' on the planet, where almost every single human being in the developed world could potentially be looking at your goods, and want to buy them. Those charges seem pretty reasonable to me!
Forcing sellers to use PayPal? 10% fee on all postal charges? How can that be even pretty reasonable?
Charging fees on postage is bad but it was dodgy sellers who were to blame for this. People selling things artificially cheap to avoid selling fees but charging huge postage that didn't attract fees to circumvent the charges now means that we all suffer charges on both.

Don't like it but it just gave eBay a free hit to do this.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

As a seller, if you are patient, eBay frequently offer "sell anything for £1 deals. That's the time to whack an expensive watch on there...
Richard
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

downer wrote:As a seller, if you are patient, eBay frequently offer "sell anything for £1 deals. That's the time to whack an expensive watch on there...
^^ the relatively few times I've sold a watch on ebay it's been during a fee promo, makes the fees a bit less painful.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Tomsolo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Tomsolo »

downer wrote:As a seller, if you are patient, eBay frequently offer "sell anything for £1 deals. That's the time to whack an expensive watch on there...
These are becoming the norm now from Ebay... I can bank on varying deals from 25...50...75% off final value fees up to the holy grail of £1.00 max selling fees, probably every few weeks... I now NEVER sell at normal costs.... maybe EBay are becoming the "Christopher Ward" of auction sites..... :lol:
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

If you need to post pictures on the forum, try Flickr - it's free.
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

PaulWB wrote:If you need to post pictures on the forum, try Flickr - it's free.
It's not the cost, it's the signing up
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

It's not the listing fees that are horrendous (I don't think I've paid to list anything for about 5 years), it's the final value fee and the scam with charging for postage and forcing you to accept PayPal even when goods are to be exchanged in person and there's no delivery. Plus, eBay would have you believe that PayPal is just like a credit card and offers similar protection but it does not.

eBay wants to turn into more of a marketplace and less of a car boot sale so it screws the small private sellers with higher fees and offers more incentives to small business and those with higher turnover. They've openly said many times that they prefer fixed price listings rather than auctions and are courting big business to list there. All very well and good as a consumer but selling on there as a private seller is expensive and just means you end up adding the charges to the selling price (well, I do).

As for exposure, yes, eBay gives you a great platform for that, no doubt but I still think a 10% cut is hefty.
triffidman wrote:
CBMVic20 wrote: Either way though, I flipping well love your avatar and name!! (The Amiga rules for me)
Nice one mate :thumbup: Which did you have?
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
triffidman
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by triffidman »

CBMVic20 wrote:Nice one mate :thumbup: Which did you have?
Started with a A500, got a 1200 as an early adopter (March 1993) and moved to a 4000 in summer 1994 - nothing quite like an Amiga, and never will be again. And yourself, what's your history with Commodore stuff?
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

TheBeatles wrote:
I can't understand why you don't want to sign up?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

It'sAliveJim wrote:
TheBeatles wrote:
I can't understand why you don't want to sign up?
I've just checked.

I use the app 1Password to manage all my logins. I have 93 :shock:

I just don't want anymore.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

triffidman wrote:
Started with a A500, got a 1200 as an early adopter (March 1993) and moved to a 4000 in summer 1994 - nothing quite like an Amiga, and never will be again. And yourself, what's your history with Commodore stuff?
4000, wow :shock: Don't think I know anyone who had anything higher than a A2000 and they were the high end ones.

My potted history is Commodore Vic 20, Commodre Plus/4, Commodore 64 and Commodore 64GS. I still have the Plus/4 and 64 complete with games and all the kit :thumbup:
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
triffidman
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by triffidman »

CBMVic20 wrote:
triffidman wrote:
4000, wow :shock: Don't think I know anyone who had anything higher than a A2000 and they were the high end ones.

My potted history is Commodore Vic 20, Commodre Plus/4, Commodore 64 and Commodore 64GS. I still have the Plus/4 and 64 complete with games and all the kit :thumbup:
It was 'only' the 030, I always pined after the 040, but that came with a few idiosyncrasies of it's own when playing games (not to mention I couldn't afford it!!) - that's a good history you've got there :thumbup: the GS is a rare beast indeed! We are indeed seemingly fans of similar things, nice watches, nice computers. Oh, I also have a Commodore calculator that my wife had at school (I nabbed it off her for my retro collection). Heaven knows why I collect these things....
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000
statto
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 11

Post by statto »

I use eBay a lot and used to think the charges were high, but I have benefitted on a few occasions from their buyer and seller protection schemes, so you get a great shop window and good insurance as well. And, as others have pointed out, they do run some special deals from time to time - the latest one was just a final value fee of £2, but it was up for such a short time I couldn't get organised quickly enough to take advantage.

Also, other auction houses commonly charge up to 20%.
Cheers

Paul