CW C3 Malvern Chrono MK III & C5 Malvern Auto MK III

Documentation and CW-related information
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: CW C3 Malvern Chrono MK III & C5 Malvern Auto MK III

Post by Tyke »

Interesting viewing, it puzzles me at to why they chose to put your indices at every hour yet have half as raised metal ones and the other half as painted on. Surely have them all painted or all raised? Would seem to be penny pinching if it's a cost cutting measure for half and half and IMO it detracts from the overall look, it would be classier with all raised indices.
fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

Tyke wrote:Interesting viewing, it puzzles me at to why they chose to put your indices at every hour yet have half as raised metal ones and the other half as painted on. Surely have them all painted or all raised? Would seem to be penny pinching if it's a cost cutting measure for half and half and IMO it detracts from the overall look, it would be classier with all raised indices.
Junghans does the same thing with the indices on its Meister series. In their case apparently it's a deliberate part of the design. Probably more of a design decision rather than cost cutting on CW's part.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

fishman wrote:
Tyke wrote:Interesting viewing, it puzzles me at to why they chose to put your indices at every hour yet have half as raised metal ones and the other half as painted on. Surely have them all painted or all raised? Would seem to be penny pinching if it's a cost cutting measure for half and half and IMO it detracts from the overall look, it would be classier with all raised indices.
Junghans does the same thing with the indices on its Meister series. In their case apparently it's a deliberate part of the design. Probably more of a design decision rather than cost cutting on CW's part.
I guess it must be, they do the same thing in the GMPR which costs plenty. Still think it would look better with all matching but no worries.
fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

Tyke wrote:
fishman wrote:
I guess it must be, they do the same thing in the GMPR which costs plenty. Still think it would look better with all matching but no worries.
I think so too,but these particular designers disagree with us. I don't think Nomos or JLC ever mix painted and applied indices. I do like Junghans Meister series a lot and I think the CW version is very well done.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

eggtronics wrote:Quick update: videos are up. Full reviews will be complete within a week.

Chrono:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9_m8mMKTsA

Auto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEmKIu3dOgQ
Josh, on the "Auto" video you refer to it as a C3, but the auto 3-hander is the C5. The C3 is just the quartz chronograph version. Might be worth fixing before you finalise the reviews on your site.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

...I don't think Nomos or JLC ever mix painted and applied indices
Yes but with respect to Nomos if you want to make a case for alleged cost-cutting, ask yourself how many of their watches even have applied indices. Practically zero apart from Orion and Zurich. Everything else is flat and painted on, even their high-end Lambda and Lux.

Talk about cheap-skate! :lol:

[Joking - I'm a Nomos fan here]
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

asqwerth wrote:
...I don't think Nomos or JLC ever mix painted and applied indices
Yes but with respect to Nomos if you want to make a case for alleged cost-cutting, ask yourself how many of their watches even have applied indices. Practically zero apart from Orion and Zurich. Everything else is flat and painted on, even their high-end Lambda and Lux.

Talk about cheap-skate! :lol:

[Joking - I'm a Nomos fan here]
Of course we're making a tacit assumption that it's cheaper to use painted indices versus applied, but is that true?
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by eggtronics »

welshlad wrote:Josh, on the "Auto" video you refer to it as a C3, but the auto 3-hander is the C5. The C3 is just the quartz chronograph version. Might be worth fixing before you finalise the reviews on your site.
Yes that was a mistake whoops! The full reviews are going to be correct ;)
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!