38 or 42mm for a 7" wrist?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Stone
Junior
Junior

Re: 38 or 42mm for a 7

Post by Stone »

italy7 wrote:
Stone wrote:Interesting that the jury still seems to be out! My wrists are 6.75" (ish) so I think the only way to be sure is to try both back to back...I will post pictures!
Good idea. I also think it would be beneficial to measure the flat part of your wrist that the watch lugs rest on and mention that with your pics.
In the end I cracked and bought a 38mm, sight unseen. Very happy with the result!

The flat top of my wrist is approx 2", size is more like 6.5" now the temperature has dropped a bit.
Jnomis

Re: 38 or 42mm for a 7" wrist?

Post by Jnomis »

Good choice on the 38 for you I got the 43 from the white trident sale just waiting for it to come now
FarmerPalmer
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Re: 38 or 42mm for a 7

Post by FarmerPalmer »

Stone wrote: In the end I cracked and bought a 38mm, sight unseen. Very happy with the result!
Nice looking watch. Looks spot on to me. I also went 38mm and am very happy with it.
gestalt
Junior
Junior

Post by gestalt »

As others have pointed out, the Trident is 43mm and the extra mm makes a difference.

I have a flat 7 inch wrist. I have a Trident Pro (white dial, red bezel), and it fits, but just barely. In another thread, I discussed "muffin tops" on jeans, and I can't help but feel the 43mm on my wrist has a bit of overhang like muffin tops.

I also have a 38mm Fortis Cosmonaut 38mm Chronograph. It is just a tad too small, but only by today's large standards.

If I had to choose between the two, the 38mm wins.
Rocket Man
Junior
Junior

Post by Rocket Man »

This thread is making me want to try a 38mm C60. I have a 6.6 inch wrist and most dive watches are too big and heavy for me. The 43mm would be too long in the lugs at 51.5mm but the 38mm sounds good. However, my Sinn 556 is a great size at 38.5mm so maybe the C60 would wear too small seeing as it has a bezel? Can't help thinking that 39/40mm might be the ideal size (for me). :?
GreatScott
Senior
Senior

Post by GreatScott »

7" is a good size, definitely 43mm, also had better legibility
Stone
Junior
Junior

Post by Stone »

The other thing that skewed it in favour of 38mm for me is that the date wheel appears to be the same diameter for both sizes. It looks significantly more inset with the bigger case, and I prefer the way the left edge of the window lines up with the applied indicators while replacing the 3 o'clock index. On the 43mm it's lined up in the same way but with a small stub of index sticking out of the right side of the window - to me this looks a little busy, like it was an afterthought.

But opinions will differ! :)
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Stone wrote:The other thing that skewed it in favour of 38mm for me is that the date wheel appears to be the same diameter for both sizes. It looks significantly more inset with the bigger case, and I prefer the way the left edge of the window lines up with the applied indicators while replacing the 3 o'clock index. On the 43mm it's lined up in the same way but with a small stub of index sticking out of the right side of the window - to me this looks a little busy, like it was an afterthought.
That's the best they can do when making a watch bigger than the movement. A lot of watches do that though. I agree the 38mm looks a lot better and that is one of my favorite features.

The 38mm Trident fits my 7"+ wrist very well. I think it if was 39mm it would be perfect but I have no complaints. The 43mm would also work for me but would make it a pretty different watch. I want to use this for many different things so the 38mm is much more versatile. Do you wear the watch or does the watch wear you? :-k

Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Stone
Junior
Junior

Post by Stone »

Devarika Woulf wrote:That's the best they can do when making a watch bigger than the movement. A lot of watches do that though. I agree the 38mm looks a lot better and that is one of my favorite features.
I was expecting the date wheel to be a CW piece rather than something that came with the movement. What would be the problem with making a bigger one for a bigger watch? Having it overhang the movement (as seen from the back) would only matter with an exhibition caseback, so no problem on the Trident...and I would have thought rebating the inside of the case slightly to fit it would have been straight forward too, since the cases are made to CW specs.

The blue on blue Trident is really growing on me, especially with a darker strap. Good choice for your wrist size :)
Stone
Junior
Junior

Post by Stone »

gestalt wrote:As others have pointed out, the Trident is 43mm and the extra mm makes a difference.

I have a flat 7 inch wrist. I have a Trident Pro (white dial, red bezel), and it fits, but just barely. In another thread, I discussed "muffin tops" on jeans, and I can't help but feel the 43mm on my wrist has a bit of overhang like muffin tops.
This pic may help assuage any worries for people considering a 38mm...

Although my wrist is relatively flat the top of the watch always seems to sit a little higher - fine by me since it improves the viewing angle! But it does show how the lugs sit on a smaller wrist, and in my opinion having them overhang would, as you say, make the bracelet look a little bit weird. More to the point it'd be hard to get it to tighten correctly as there will always be a gap under the lug...
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Stone wrote:I was expecting the date wheel to be a CW piece rather than something that came with the movement. What would be the problem with making a bigger one for a bigger watch? Having it overhang the movement (as seen from the back) would only matter with an exhibition caseback, so no problem on the Trident...and I would have thought rebating the inside of the case slightly to fit it would have been straight forward too, since the cases are made to CW specs.
The date wheel (like everything else on a movement) has its own allocated place. The Big Day Date model, which has larger day and date wheels to align them to the edge of the dial had modifications made by JJ to have them fit. There is a definite cost in order to do that, which is why it's very rarely done, even by the big players...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Stone wrote:The blue on blue Trident is really growing on me, especially with a darker strap. Good choice for your wrist size :)
Thanks. I'm now thinking of getting the new CW black Cordovan strap w/ Bader. It's a much nicer strap than the stock, and I've read cordovan is water resistant. It'd give the blue Trident a 006 look, huh?
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Rocket Man
Junior
Junior

Post by Rocket Man »

Devarika Woulf wrote:
Stone wrote:
Thanks. I'm now thinking of getting the new CW black Cordovan strap w/ Bader. It's a much nicer strap than the stock, and I've read cordovan is water resistant. It'd give the blue Trident a 006 look, huh?
Didn't know CW do a Cordovan - my favourite straps by far! :D
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Got two Tridents in 43mm and a 7inch wrist. I'm happy with the look. They don't look or feel big after a while. You very quickly accept it. Just bought a Seiko Sarb035, which is a 38mm. I'm thinking that that's going to seem small when it arrives!!
Steve.