Clubcard Special...

A place to discuss other watch-brands
danny_n
Senior
Senior

Clubcard Special...

Post by danny_n »

I posted some time ago about using Tesco Clubcard vouchers in Goldsmiths (http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... f=4&t=4308). I've been dilligently saving up my vouchers and finally got around to redeeming them for a shiny new treat this week. Here's some pics I took with the iPhone this morning - not the best quality wise, but they'll give you the general idea!

As always, start with the outer box and give the brand name away...

The black inner box...

Opens up to reveal the Oris wheel (this being part of the Oris F1 line) and the slidy/hidey place for the booklets etc...

I reckon the wheel adds a nice touch...

The watch itself...

The light blue numerals are set off quite well against the navy blue carbon fibre effect dial and the silver indices add another nice contrast...

Much reflection on this shot but it shows a bit more detail on the dial...

And undecorated movement but the red rotor is a nice touch. You can also see the bevelled edges on the case which make the watch very comfortable when flexing the wrist. This is helped by the flexible lugs which add a nice touch.

The signed crown is surprisingly big, but not uncomfortable...

Signed buckle on the "tyre effect" rubber strap - incidently, the strap has been "perfumed" with vanilla, so you don't have to put up with the smell of rubber. However, the vanilla smell is a bit sickly so I don't know which is the lesser of two evils!

And finally, the gratuitous wrist shot...

So far, I'm quite impressed by the quality of it - especially given the deal I got. It was listed at £180 off retail on Goldsmiths website (though not as a special offer) and I got another chunk off it by using the vouchers, so I didn't do too bad. Simply because I was too impatient to wait for more points I had to put £170 cash towards it - a lot of watch for that sort of money!

It's comfortable enought to wear and is just about the right size for me at 40.5mm diameter. The rubber strap isn't quite sized properly yet, but I'm loathe to start hacking at it some more and risk it being undersized. Timekeeping is within the tolerances expected by Oris (+/-30 seconds - it has gained 20 seconds in 24 hours but it needs to bed in).

I wanted something different from a diver, and something different from a black faced watch and this has ticked those boxes. The blue lume on the hands and outer indices markers is nothing to write home about but is still bright enough to read at night. The case is brushed with the top edge and rear both being polished. The only (very minor) thing that lets the watch down is the use of black day/date wheels which don't really go with the blue face - but, you only really notice if you look closely and probably wouldn't stand out to the casual observer.

I'm quite a happy little bunny!
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: Clubcard Special...

Post by ianblyth »

Very good. I must buy more at Tesco if I can get one of those! :shock: The "wheel" box is a fun touch. I like it.
danny_n wrote:The only (very minor) thing that lets the watch down is the use of black day/date wheels
Perhaps Oris can do a deal with CWL so that they can get the black date dials for their black dial watches. :lol:
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations and well done. A wise shopper you are.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by castle »

I had a look at that watch/ deal just last week, very tempted.......

Is it possible to use the vouchers online or do you have to visit the highstreet store?
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
highway61

Post by highway61 »

wonder if Waitrose will ever link up with a watchmaker ?? :shock:
danny_n
Senior
Senior

Post by danny_n »

castle wrote:Is it possible to use the vouchers online or do you have to visit the highstreet store?
I did the whole thing online. You have to exchange your clubcard tokens for Goldsmiths vouchers first (which you'd have to do if you were buying from the bricks and mortar outlet) then print off and fill in a form from the Goldsmiths website and send that in with your vouchers. They ring you up for any balance that needs paying.

I posted to Goldsmiths on Wednesday and had the watch in my grubby little mitts by lunchtime Friday. All in all, not bad service!
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Nice watch and a very nice deal! Congrats.

I shall have to try to steal Mrs D's clubcard points. :)
Richard
danny_n
Senior
Senior

Post by danny_n »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I bit the bullet this afternoon and hacked another section off the strap - much more comfortable now!
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Pretty, pretty.
I particularly like the heavily sculpted caseback and the red (cherry?) rotor.
It says "front sapphire crystal", so I guess the back isn't. If I were them I'd not bother to inscribe anything about the crystal in this case.

It's a nice reward for spending your hard-earned in Tesco.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by paw3001 »

A quality piece, congratulations and kudos on the savvy purchase method. :D

Personally I think the day/date looks good and I think that if it was reversed then it would distract you from that lovely dial too much.

Enjoy!
Watches - Too many but not enough!
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

I have to say I've always been indifferent to clubcard, nectar and the like, viewing it as a fairly low return (at 1%) and just spending my vouchers on the normal shopping.

However.

This has opened new avenues. I am probably going to end up being loyal to one supermarket now, just so that I can get my annual "free watch".

The Oris is very nice, too, and clearly worth a damn sight more than £170! :D
rygel16th
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by rygel16th »

Loddonite wrote:Pretty, pretty.
I particularly like the heavily sculpted caseback and the red (cherry?) rotor.
I've seen that model when I've been in Goldsmiths and I never imagined it would look like that from behind. Thanks for the pics.
Best wishes
jhelms54
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by jhelms54 »

That looks awesome. I probably would've bought it just to get the tire case!
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by castle »

Went into Goldsmiths specifically yesterday to have a look at their Oris range, tried on a lovely rubber strap watch at £650.
Will have to check just what exactly we have in Tesco vouchers (and also what my wife plans to do with them!)..........
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.