Malvern Chronograph No. 182

Take some photos of your CW wristwatch and post them here!
ianroy
CW-watches: 0

Malvern Chronograph No. 182

Post by ianroy »

-LONG POST, LOTS OF PIX-

I've had my Malvern Chronograph for just over 48 hours and what follows is my initial review.

I work for a Jeweler in Los Angeles, and part of what attracted me to the Malvern Chronograph was how sleek it looked, despite the fact that I could destroy several of them for the price of even an ugly watch of with similar features. I like to always wear a watch, but I find myself constantly worrying about it. What the Malvern Chrono offers is a luxury watch that is truely worry free.

While I generally perfer automatic watches, there is always room in a watch collection for a quartz watch - if just to set the automatics by.

I've also got to give a big Thank You to Christopher Ward for being so responsive on his emails. If you've got a question about his watches - ask this guy! seriously!

Now onto,
Number 182 - arrived Saturday - Out of the box:

I like attention to detial right from the shiny CW logo on the shipping box.

The packaging is more what you would expect for a high-end watch, complete with CW logo'd polishing cloth.
The 60/60 guarantee is really signed and really stamped by a real person. A nice touch these days.

On to, THE WATCH:
Set to London Time.

Nicely wrapped for protection:

I had to remove links from the stainless band to fit my wrist. The pins are simple push outs.
And set to LA time.

I also tried on a leather band (a size too small - else where in the forums it notes that an 18mm band will fit the Malvern Chrono - but this 18mm is too small. I measured the watch and it is more like 20mm)

Here is a shot of the Malvern Chrono's lume. I wasn't exacly sure where the lume would be, so it was a nice surprise - sharp, easy to read, and nice and bright.

I was actually a little disappointed that the watch band was so highly polished. The pictures on the website make it look like the band is bead-blasted. I think a such a reflective band detracts from such an outstandingly sharp watch - it makes it look like it's trying to be overly flashy - see if you agree:

Compairson of the Malvern and a 16610 Submariner:
I think it looks better right away on a leather band:

The lume is quite bright. even when compared to the Sub's.

So overally, I LOVE the Malvern Chrono, however I really dislike the finish on the band.

Not to worry, I work for a Jeweler!

Rather than bead-blasting, I descided to go with a brushed finish. I may change this to a bead-blasted finish at some point, but I think it looks much stronger already.

As you can see I taped off the middle link containing the clasp. I think this helps to match the watch to the band. It would be nice if the engraving on the band was a little thicker so that you could change the finish without risking destroying the logo.

I snapped this last bunch real quick at work today, I'm going to try to shoot some more on black showing the new brushed finish next to the Sub - they look HOT together.

THANKS CHRIS!!!
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by El Tiempo »

Ian, awsome review and pics. I love the leather strap. Really a great choice for this model. I think I prefer the brushed braclet also, good job and thanks for sharing.

Warmly,

El Tiempo
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

Nice work Ian! I love what you did to the bracelet, the original finish was way to shiny for me. Complements!
KevRC4130
Senior
Senior

Post by KevRC4130 »

Nice! Both the refinished bracelet and strap look great! I agree it was a little too "bling bling" at first.
Warhol
Senior
Senior

Post by Warhol »

Great review!
The watch looks really nice on its new strap, good job :wink:
I still think Chris should start making these chronographs, or ones that look like them, with automatic movement. They would sell great IMHO.

Well Ian, have fun with your CW :wink:
DavidM1
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidM1 »

Great review and really helpful. I am really impressed with how it looks on the strap and your choice gives it a slightly vintage vibe I didn't expect. Interesting how too much polish gets distracting.

Thanks!

:)
KevRC4130
Senior
Senior

Post by KevRC4130 »

Warhol wrote:Great review!
The watch looks really nice on its new strap, good job :wink:
I still think Chris should start making these chronographs, or ones that look like them, with automatic movement. They would sell great IMHO.

Well Ian, have fun with your CW :wink:

I agree... I think the part that is holding most portential buyers back is the quartz movement.
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Great review!

Post by joerattz »

Ianroy, what would you guess your company would charge to make a bracelet modification like that....brushed? I didn't know a jeweler could do that, so I was just wondering how much it would set someone back.

Thanks.
DB
Junior
Junior

Post by DB »

Ian I am not tending towards the blue dial in first instance. But I think you did an outstanding job on your watch and band. I think you did an outstanding job on your band and watch. To my own surprise I loved the blue dial after you changed the band. I was happily surprised by it all. Great info for me aswell on the illumination part thank you !
Warhol
Senior
Senior

Post by Warhol »

The dial isn't blue but black... right?
DB
Junior
Junior

Post by DB »

You must be right I think its my mistake, one of Ian`s pics showed probably a blueisch reflection on the dial.
DB
Junior
Junior

Post by DB »

Ian is it possible to put up a pic with the brushed bracelet watch on your hand ?.....the other pics were extremely usefull for me to see how it all would look.

btw does anyone else also get a feel of a Cobra when looking at CW site pic of the watchband ?

Funny thing is I normally do not prefer metal bands ?.....but this looks great !