Advice

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ProfGlenn
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Advice

Post by ProfGlenn »

Hi. I bought my first CW watch 2 months ago- c5 automatic. I liked it so bought a slimline round. Love it and keeps excellent time better than COSC. Then a Trident with red bezel and a nearly new 43mm JH MKII. Finally a C9 43mm SH21. I have two questions. One is I do not like the SH21 face on the 43mm face so it is going back. Should I get the 40mm or will it be too thick for the diameter of the dial? It is more than 50% thicker than the slimline....so is it still a dress watch? Or should I go for the C50 COSC instead, although I already have a C5??? Second question is on the nearly new JH MKII, and Billy Evans tells me actually it is a new watch, there are lots of little spots on the sapphire crystal. I cannot get them off. You can only see them in certain light ....I think they could be on the inside. Any ideas how to get rid of them? I think if I can't sort it I will have to learn not to see them as I got the watch for £500 and it is a limited edition and a very nice face that does indeed work at 43mm. Thanks a lot, Glenn
Glenn

C5 slimline square, C60 MKIII BATMAN, MKII bronze, C70 Ascari, C65 AM GT, C30, C5 revival, C3 MKII white, C3 MKII LE green
Omega Aqua Terra Quartz
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Advice

Post by Kip »

Welcome ProfGlenn. Please stick around and stop by the Member Introduction area.

As to your post...you mention that you don't like the C9 5 Day face. I don't understand why you would want to consider the 40mm version if that is the case. Did you mean the size (43mm)? Proportionally, due to the smaller case size, the 40mm will feel taller than the 43 by comparison, but it is still the same watch. It is still considered a dress watch, but obviously will be far different than the Slimline's.

As to the C9JH, If there are spots on the inside of the crystal, I would return for a replacement. It does not matter whether it was a sale watch or not. It is still covered under the warranty.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

The C9-JH3 is 13.3mm high, the C9-5D is 13.45mm and the C5 Slimlines are 8.25mm (Square) or 8.55mm.

They are pretty tall watches, so I guess the answer is that the C9's you have are pretty thick watches (or alternatively the C5 Slimline is a thin watch).

Details of all CWL watches can be found on Kip's spreadsheet - link below.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/archives/
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

For my part, I would say that the Slimlines are relatively normal, whereas the C9 is decidedly on the thick side. The Slimline is 8.7 mm and hand wound, whereas there are companies making automatics, of which I have one, that are quite a bit slimmer.

But it is all a question of what you regard as normal!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Billy Evans knows best.

By the way, do you know The Vicar?

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
ProfGlenn
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by ProfGlenn »

Thanks very much everyone for your help so far. I was trying to avoid having to fork out the money for an Omega de Ville at £2280. But if I want something COSC around 40 mm diameter and 10 mm thick and I might have to bite the bullet.

It sounds like the C9 in 40 mm will be quite dumpy. I am happy enough with the C9 JH MKII in terms of its aspect ratio but the tiny spots are annoying. I am afraid to send it back because I already sent one back because it jumped 3 minutes forward in the middle of the night and I also sent a trident back because The minute hand was not always on the index when the second hand was on 12. So I think they will be getting fed up with me already as a brand-new customer!
Glenn

C5 slimline square, C60 MKIII BATMAN, MKII bronze, C70 Ascari, C65 AM GT, C30, C5 revival, C3 MKII white, C3 MKII LE green
Omega Aqua Terra Quartz
hsukirk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by hsukirk »

Why worry if you are making reasonable returns ?

I would say if you are comfortable with thickness of JH2, you would be fine with C9 5DA 40mm. I would consider 40mm better proportioned among 2 sizes. A lot more comfortable to wear although not on the same level of SL.
ProfGlenn
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by ProfGlenn »

Thanks hsukirk. To be honest, I was saving up to buy a de Ville dress watch as a treat for giving up alcohol for a year. But when the year came up, I couldn't justify it. I came across CWL and tried the C5 - took a while to get used to the size as I normally wear larger and cheaper fashion watches. Then bought a slimline which is perfect in size but not a COSC. Billy Evans suggested a trident. And after a few hours wearing it, was quite taken with it but noticed on the right hand side of the dial, the minute hand was bang on the index when the second hand was at 12 but on the left hand side of the dial this was not the case. Then I had issues with the JH at half price and Billy replaced it. Billy Evans is brilliant and very knowledgeable. So there must be some QC issues...maybe I have been unlucky.....so I still wanted to treat myself to a COSC and took the plunge and got the C9 5 day, but to me that classy traditional face just does not work on that 43mm dial. It is all out of proportion. Maybe it is the symmetry- there is no such problem with the JH MKII. So now I have a real dilemma. Do I take a punt on the 40mm C9 5 day, or get a refund and save towards the de Ville, and do I return yet again another watch (the second JH MKII) and try to get a replacement or another refund towards the de Ville. I think the CWL watches are finished really well and I suppose what I want is a 5 day COSC slimline but there is no such thing.....will the 13.5mm thick 40mm wide c9 5 day do my head in....?
Glenn

Omega Aqua Terra Quartz
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

What about the C9 Small Seconds 5 day, that at 12.2mm is a bit less lumpy than the standard C9 5 day?
https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watch ... all-second

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ProfGlenn
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by ProfGlenn »

Hi Neil. If it had a normal second hand I would absolutely jump at it! The automatic feature is not a big deal to me. Hand wound yes. Smooth sweeping second hand yes. It's a nice watch - you are right. It's a got a pocket watch look about it. Difficult. I mean they are all nice watches and I want to take the best bits of each and make my own!
Glenn

Omega Aqua Terra Quartz
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Looking at the issues that you have noticed on your watches, your expectations are potentially beyond CW.

Get the Omega.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

smegwina wrote:Looking at the issues that you have noticed on your watches, your expectations are potentially beyond CW.

Get the Omega.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Uncompromising but fair advice.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Premium
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
hsukirk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by hsukirk »

I somehow agree that getting an Omega is unavoidable with the said expectations.

If you like C60 (bought one) & want 5 DAYS COSC, there is always an SH21 C60. It goes well with dressy manual slimline Imo.