Base Metal Case Advice

A place to discuss other watch-brands
rygel16th
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Base Metal Case Advice

Post by rygel16th »

I have a few vintage watches that are in good condition apart from the back, where years of wear has removed much of the chrome leaving the base metal showing through. It's not a major problem apart from the blurred blue tattoo left on my wrist after a days wear.

I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to prevent this short of buying a load of Bund straps. I've always assumed that there would be some restoration technique, however that sounds expensive and the watches I'm talking about aren't particularly valuable other than for sentimental reasons.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7
LE-two: yes

Re: Base Metal Case Advice

Post by Monkey »

You can get watches re-chromed, but I'd have to either google who does it, or ask my watchguy if he knows anyone.

I tend to avoid old chrome plate watches unless they're in good nick otherwise a) they can look tatty, and b) 'maybe' not worth restoring!!

However, if yours have sentimental value, then I would say go for it :)
John
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Check around for a plating shop in your area. Stop by and see if for a few dollars they would be willing to add your case back in when doing some chrome plating. I have heard of several people that have done this. The job is to small usually on its own but just another piece thrown in doesn't matter. You may need some patience but I have heard most shops don't really mind. No real extra work for them and they pick up a few bucks besides.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
rygel16th
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by rygel16th »

Thanks for the help guys. I drive past a firm who does re-chrome work for vintage motorbikes; I'll nip in and ask how much they'd charge to stick a few cases in with another order.

Thanks