Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Watches, Fascination. Obsession, Addiction or just OCD

Post by theaub »

Welcome to our world...
davidwatkinson1

Post by davidwatkinson1 »

Fascination. I bought an automatic to see if I could live with its inaccuracy. I love it. It's inaccuracy is endearing.
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

I suffer also and actually just posted about it. My lovely wife threatens me with counseling every year. I now have all watches shipped to the office to assure the watch is introduced when all is favorable. You guys ever heard that all you think about is stupid watch? Phillip
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

If you replaced OCD with "past-time / hobby" you might find the ultimate life-cycle of the watch collectors disease.

Back in the 90's my bosses were obsessed with the "perfect team". One of the team development life cycles was described as Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing - with the ultimate goal of performing.

In my watch collecting world it started with Fascination, became an Addiction (reckless accumulation), settled into a phase of normality (frequent watches in / watches out) and, I hope, is now under control and a more considered past-time.

In many situations the participants bounce round the first three stages on a seemingly never-ending and cyclical basis. Whilst the fascination, obsession and addiction never really go away, if you can get to the hobby mode, then it does feel a little more controlled.
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club