Incoming Eterna Kontiki Four Hands

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Incoming Eterna Kontiki Four Hands

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Really beautiful, Om. I'm slightly regretful about not relieving you of the other one, but I have my holiday to think of! Wear it in good health, and enjoy! My vintage Kontiki says hi and I will make do with that at the moment. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

^Thanks Steve, both your avatar and mine should be enough to remind you about the watch for a while.
The bracelet is really good quality, now I'm feeling a bit of the differences.
PJS
Senior
Senior

Post by PJS »

Very nice – been on my radar for a while too. Same bracelet as on the much more expensive Ulysse Nardin Max Marine Diver, which I also really like.
Lorne
Senior
Senior

Post by Lorne »

blowfish89 wrote:
downer wrote:It's a nice watch - no doubt about it. Quite a lot of crystal reflection going on... Does it have AR on both sides, inside or not at all?
I don't know. There must be AR on the inside, can't be sure about the outside. I actually think the AR is pretty good. As I said, you feel like there's no glass and you can touch the dial. However, due to the high polish hour markers and hands, there is a lot of reflection at various angles, which is where the watch really shines in the pictures. But if you see directly into it, it looks like there's nothing in front.

AR on the outside is only a gimmick for when you're in the jewelers buying a watch as within a couple of days it will have worn off. I think the reflections are because the top face of the crystal is not perfectly flat. Looks to me like it has a curve on it, which is good for the mechanical performance of the crystal (thicker at the centre where the internal stresses are highest) but not so good for catching reflections
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

^You are right - its a curved crystal. The dial is curved too.
I m pretty sure there is no AR on the outside as no smudges/ fingerprints on the crystal. I have double AR on the Damasko, it frequently gets smudges on the crystal and no, it has not worn off or scratched in six months. On the Kontiki, I feel as if there is no glass and I can touch the dial (my SO also remarked the same), so the internal AR must be great. I really like the polished edges of the hands and numbers catching the light and tried to capture them in pics (probably what you call reflections). It looks best with those effects from a side view. There is a straight on pic too, you can see the dial looks clear and black on that one.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

PJS wrote:Very nice – been on my radar for a while too. Same bracelet as on the much more expensive Ulysse Nardin Max Marine Diver, which I also really like.
How do you know its the same bracelet?
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by rgb »

Lorne wrote: AR on the outside is only a gimmick for when you're in the jewelers buying a watch as within a couple of days it will have worn off.
Disagree. I have a Tag Kirium F1 from early 2000 that disproves this.
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Lorne
Senior
Senior

Post by Lorne »

I stand corrected. Perhaps I should have said, 'it only worked for a couple of days on the watch I built before it wore off'.
PJS
Senior
Senior

Post by PJS »

blowfish89 wrote:
PJS wrote:Very nice – been on my radar for a while too. Same bracelet as on the much more expensive Ulysse Nardin Max Marine Diver, which I also really like.
How do you know its the same bracelet?
I said bracelet when I actually meant clasp.
The links are different in design, but if we apply the same logic that it's accepted that Omega's bracelets are made in China, and Eterna is owned by a Chinese Group, then its not too much of a stretch to consider that UN's bracelet is made there too, and possibly by the same company as Eterna's.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

PJS wrote:I said bracelet when I actually meant clasp.
The links are different in design, but if we apply the same logic that it's accepted that Omega's bracelets are made in China, and Eterna is owned by a Chinese Group, then its not too much of a stretch to consider that UN's bracelet is made there too, and possibly by the same company as Eterna's.
I just checked my Omega bracelets and they're nearly all marked Swiss Made. I used to own one which was made in France and an older one that was made in Mexico. My older 60/70's Dynamics don't say where they're made.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Simon57
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Simon57 »

rgb wrote:
Lorne wrote: AR on the outside is only a gimmick for when you're in the jewelers buying a watch as within a couple of days it will have worn off.
If there's one thing I don't get, it's AR on the outside. Just why?!?
Christopher Ward x7 // Oris // Tag Heuer // Longines x2 // Nomos // Seiko // Orient x2 // Vostok x2
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by rgb »

Simon57 wrote:
rgb wrote:
If there's one thing I don't get, it's AR on the outside. Just why?!?
I found it does make the crystal virtually disappear in all but the harshest direct lighting and was one of the attractions of the watch. And yes, the AR cannot help but get a bit scuffed but on the Tag at least, the scuffing virtually disappears. First two pix below are in different lighting, the next two in cross-lighting to play up an AR scuff at 12 o'clock I got when I really whacked hard my arm against the metal edge on an outside corner where drywall meets. And I mean hit hard. The blemish is next to invisible and in normal use I never see it. Perhaps some watchmakers use cheap double-AR coating/process; not here --- this tag was my work watch, weekend watch, bang around watch, build-a-deck watch, move-house watch over 10 years. Sure its case is scratched up but the crystal is still pretty darn nice for all the abuse its taken. I'd get a quality double-AR watch again in a heartbeat.

.. the mark @ 12 ...
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
PJS
Senior
Senior

Post by PJS »

gaf1958 wrote:
PJS wrote:I said bracelet when I actually meant clasp.
I just checked my Omega bracelets and they're nearly all marked Swiss Made. I used to own one which was made in France and an older one that was made in Mexico. My older 60/70's Dynamics don't say where they're made.
I'm surmising that Eterna's is made in China, but I could be wrong – but the Omega element stems from this thread – http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?2 ... rowd/page2 – hence if being the case, doesn't make the proposition that UN's would be too, sound unreasonable.
At the end of the day, it only matters if you consider the whole "Swiss Made" to mean 100% everything made in the country, including the presentation case/box.
My point was that given the sheer difference in price, it is remarkable that the UN and Eterna seem to share an identical clasp, albeit with different opening buttons.