Parttimer, SOTC 5/15 and a little background

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Parttimer
CW-watches: 2

Parttimer, SOTC 5/15 and a little background

Post by Parttimer »

So here is my SOTC as a new member to give you all an idea of how my tastes are (or aren't as you'll see later :lol: ) developing.

I never really had a care for fancy watches, always made do with your high-street designer watch, something from Armani or similar. A little while ago though, with work going well and having some disposable income I decided I wanted to treat myself to a decent watch. Browsing a few online stores, I found the beaut below at a good price and was instantly smitten so this became my first 'proper' watch after doing a lot of reading online about the brand, it's reputation and perception of quality and value from members of the various watch forums. Little did I know what it would turn me into....

This is my Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono. Photo's don't do it justice, visually it is a stunning watch in the flesh and it has a really solid weighty feel on the wrist. Don't seem to see many of these in this colour combination but it makes a really good dressy watch. And with the Valjoux chrono movement, it has that rotor wobble which still makes me smile inside:

After a few days of owning the above, I decided I loved it so much that it was far too nice to be wearing regularly and risking the usual scratches and marks and ageing of the strap. Which overall really defeated the point of me buying my first nice watch and gave me something to think about. I didn't think long of course..... having done a lot of research into Hamilton, I'd also taken a bit of a shine to their Khaki range (I'd already decided within a few days that automatics were definitely for me!). So yep, I just had to get something I'd feel more relaxed wearing daily and my lovely wife thought the same and bought me this:

I'm sure many of you are reading this thinking 'yip, this is how it starts'. Boy, did it start. By now, I'm spending much more time browsing watch forums than is healthy and I'm learning about all these brands and styles that I never knew existed outside of Rolex, Omega and the other couple of other brands that your average person could name. I'm quite anal about these things (my wife suggests I have OCD in some respects) and I like to put a lot of research and time into understanding things that interest me and it was pretty clear now that watches really interested me. One thing I kept seeing a lot of was massively flattering praise about this brand called Christopher Ward, almost gushingly cringing at times but I had to see what the fuss was. Some nice designs but some a little 'out there' that just didn't do it for me. However the women's watches in the sale gave me a good way to find out a little more about CW so I ordered one for the wife as a wee present. Turns up in a lovely box, with a personalised letter and a little cleaning cloth - really nice little touches and wow - how the hell do you get such quality of build and finish for that price? She loves it, and by now I'd realised just why everyone was so complimentary about Christopher Ward. And when this came up in the sale, I just had to have it:

I actually think the C60 above is my favourite watch. Knowing how much good quality watches cost, I was crazily impressed with the finish and quality yet because it didn't cost as much as my 2 Hamiltons, I could enjoy it more so it gets to share the bulk of my wrist time with the Khaki. That red dial really pops and it goes great with the black leather strap and wow, a proper deployment clasp at this price! Versatile and goes great with jeans and t-shirt or under a shirt-cuff at work, and it was the first of my 3 watches that people actually commented on and in the process spread the love for CW a little. That watch soon had me a very regular viewer of the this forum and the CW website to keep up to date with what they're doing but by now I was having a guilt combination - guilt over not being able to justify needing more watches and guilt over loving my 3 watches and trying to find ways to give them all wrist time! And with this in mind, I kept my love of watches to online only and reading the various forums most days just to enjoy and admire the various watches out there and learned a lot in the process.

Now here is where I start to realise I have the bug big time. My wife knew I'd discovered a love of quality watches and always offered an opinion and feedback on my thoughts and watches I'd point out. And then when I'd see a watch on someone's wrist on TV and say, hey - that's a so and so well of course she thought I was a little sad. She did however accept it and in buying my the Khaki willingly shares some of the blame bless her. By now another watch had come along and caught my eye - the iconic Speedmaster Moonwatch. I needed a tool style versatile watch to round off my collection a little. Did I buy one? No. Something else caught my eye, something definitely on the quirky side and in many peoples eyes controversial but it had something that just sang out to me and I had to put aside the pre-conceptions and go for it right there and then...

It's an amazingly well put together watch, full of great little details and I'm sure will polarize opinion and generate some debate:
It's actually a much more 'easy on the eye' watch in the flesh that you'd expect but is quite heavy on the wrist although it wears comfortably with the rubber strap and a little smaller than it looks. It doesn't get a huge amount of wrist time but that's more because of the cost and a want to keep it as clean as possible. It's a good talking point though for all the good or bad views it generates and I like that about the watch as well as liking the watch itself.

And that's where I am right now. I'm enjoying these 4 watches immensely and regularly get them out of the boxes just to give a little wind when not being worn and appreciate them for what they are - mechanical works of art. I'm taking a little break from buying watches whilst we do some house renovation but I have that mental list of watches to buy always sat in the back of my mind for when the time comes! Speedy comes next I think once wife gets used to the idea :lol:
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Parttimer, SOTC 5/15 and a little background

Post by Kip »

A very nice collection you have put together.

I believe you are the first one I know of to own a RJ Titanic. Is this an early model? I noted that the new ones say Titanic DNA.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Parttimer

Post by Parttimer »

Yeah, it's one of the early Oxy 2 range before they changed to the bumpy rusty bezel. Most consider it the purest of the Titanic range as its a little more true to the ethos of the DNA thing by not being adorned with other complications. i don't think I could afford one of the other later models with chrono or other features however so it's a good job I like this one!
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

Thanks for posting.

You have some very cool pieces. The Jazzmaster is gorgeous and the RJ Titanic is really interesting. I like it. :thumbup:
Graham
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I'm really not sure how I feel about watches with "bits of something" inside them, whether ships, cars, planes or anything else. Fine if you like it, but not for me I suspect.

Exactly WHAT bit of Titanic is in the watches?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Parttimer

Post by Parttimer »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:I'm really not sure how I feel about watches with "bits of something" inside them, whether ships, cars, planes or anything else. Fine if you like it, but not for me I suspect.

Exactly WHAT bit of Titanic is in the watches?
Hi

As I say, it's a marmite piece! Technically, RJ state that recovered coal was used in the making of the dial and that the bezel contains steel from the hull of the titanic. Realistically though it'll be a very minute amount and those claims will be where the 'DNA' bit of the name comes from I guess as it will literally be traces of each. As much as I personally love the watch, I do even myself sometimes struggle to take it seriously and see it more as a concept or art piece though.

Personally I don't mind the 'bits of something' thing if the subject matter is of memorable or historical importance but quite often the 'bits of something' can take over the soul of the watch and it becomes less about the watch and more about the 'something'. I would agree that with the RJ Titanic range this is probably the case. But, when a watch sings to you sometimes you've just gotta have it!
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Congratulations on a nice, varied collection. The RJ is interesting, although not to my personal taste, but those particular two Hamiltons are probably all the watches any sane man would ever need. :thumbup:
Richard
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

Thanks for posting...I love your Jazzmaster, it's a beautiful piece!
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)
Parttimer

Post by Parttimer »

vikingdrvr wrote:Thanks for posting...I love your Jazzmaster, it's a beautiful piece!
It is, the photos really don't do it justice. The finish and quality is exceptional even for Hamilton. It's nice that you don't see that dial and hand colour combo so often as well,it's certaknly a standout piece.
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

I must admit I do like the look of the 'Jazz' but the 'RJ' is an unusual piece, especially with the history it is associated to 'a maritime disaster' unlike the C8 P7350 CHRONOMETER which is associated with a much lauded classic fighter plane and has caused much debate on this forum. I do like the look of this 'RJ' on it's own though without the 'DNA', it certainly looks better than the recent rusty looking versions. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An interesting thread. Have never seen one of the RJ watches before. I think we all recognise the phrase "no more watches at the moment, or something along those lines.....!"

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK