I have been away too long!!!
Andreas
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

Post by hughesyn »

blowfish89 wrote:Should I swap my blue C60 for this one ?
No. (Imho)
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Clarky »

This watch collecting game is funny one....

As I get more and more in to watches, their complications, the fine aesthetics of designs and dial layouts I look at watches from all sorts of manufactures but I some how get drawn back to a few of Rolex's past offerings..... and they always end up in the unattainable price range :(

Here is two such watches I have been dreaming about that are coming up for auction this month but there is no way in my life time I would ever have the funds to purchase ether of these two beauties (unless my numbers come up on the lottery)

First up is this Rolex 6236 "Killy" Dato-compax from 1958.

Rolex’s only ever combination of chronograph and full calendar, and historically its Rolex's most complicated model, the Dato-Compax. Otherwise known as the “Killy”, after the glamorous French ski champion who liked to wear one, Jean-Claude Killy, the Dato-Compax (itself not an official name) was produced between 1940-1960 in four references, of which the 6236 was the last and, perhaps, most desirable.
Estimated to sell for 150000-250000 CHF but will probably go higher.SOLD for 203000 CHF

And the Rolex 6062 triple Calendar from 1953 in rose gold

Rolex has only ever produced two references with a moon-phase display, refs 8171 (snap on back, non-water resistant), and 6062 (Oyster case with screw back, water resistant), both between 1950 and 1953. Hardly any were made: fewer than 500 of this reference, 6062, and according to Phillips no more than a dozen examples have been offered at auction in the last 35 years. But that’s not all: only one other rose gold example with this dial – Arabic numerals at 3 and 9 and lozenge hour markers – is accounted for. This is truly one of the absolute rarest Rolex watches in existence – and it’s in superlative condition. Both the dial and case are sensational.

It is estimated to sell between 250000-450000 CHF but could easily exceed its estimate
SOLD for a whopping 1001000 CHF

The saddest thing to me is that these will be bought by a collector who will lock them away in a safe as an investment where they are unlikely to see daylight until they are sold on again.

Fingers crossed on my lotto numbers but I highly suspect that these two will always be a couple I dream about but will never have the means to acquire.
I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

crickey! those two rolex are pretty special. especially love the gold one...gorgeous
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

I'm getting concerned as to why I am starting to like big watches :headbash:
Know nothing about Panerais, but rather like this one - PAM111
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

i like the sandwich dials, but can't deal with the size or the crown guards.

i'm looking at the helberg CH10 to scratch that itch late this year.

the "g" is for Greg...
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

^^^

That looks really interesting, Greg. Almost too slick but not quite across that line. I like it.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

44mm diameter, 22mm lugs and just 10.4mm height. bezel will be replaceable, several options will exist. dlc, black dial, it really has my attention.

the "g" is for Greg...
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

The PAM111 is also 44mm but I suspect it would be much bulkier and thicker.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

blowfish89 wrote:I'm getting concerned as to why I am starting to like big watches :headbash:
Pams are supremely clear and easy to read, with probably the most devoted and fanatical owners on the planet. The sheer volume of accessories is mindblowing. They also look just fantastic on the wrist, but there is no denying they are big buggers. The CG and clear dial means that they wear large, and the cushion case exaggerates the issue.

I love big watches and if you can carry it off, they are fantastic. 44mm is a big old sod but the 47mm is feking huge!

(I can only pass comment on the Submersibles here as that is what I had, but I assume the same applies for the Luminors. I have never worn a Radiomir so they may look completely different on the wrist)

Prices are pretty reasonable at the moment too !

I say go for it!
chrisw
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by chrisw »

:mrgreen: I can't seem to get this out of my mind a combination I think of simplicity perceived quality and technology.
grand Seiko springdrive SBGA001
C60 blue
C60 GMT mk2.
C8 mk2 vintage blk
C9 BDD
C15
C70 DType
C65 SWS
Bulova presisionist
Tag Carrera
Rado xeramo
Omega Seamaster
Garrad 9ct
GS SBGX 065
Rolex Datejust
Longine h flagship
Omega Deville coaixal 18ct
Tudor Oyster Royal
Seiko sarb 035
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

blowfish89 wrote:Should I swap my blue C60 for this one ?
That's one of the nicest Rado's I've seen!
'Tis me
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

Caller wrote:That's one of the nicest Rado's I've seen!
Yes, it has some cool features -
- The bezel is ceramic, the dial is sunburst blue, the cushion-case is nice as well
- The Rado anchor above the logo on the dial is free-float and moves as per orientation of the watch with gravity
- The cyclops for date is internal (inside the crystal), so no bump out - I think it is one of the rare watches with this feature.
- The displayback rotor is in the shape of a blacked out anchor
All that being said, I still think I'll keep my older blue C60 (I think the C60 bracelet is great quality and love the clasp)
problem son
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by problem son »

Thanks for starting off a fascinating topic watchstudent. I have to say that the watches so far shown are way over my price range, so I don't actually daydream about any watches that I could not afford. Interestingly though, you do mention watches that are being researched, and here I do have daydreams, or rather ideas, for future topics. Thus, I am always on the lookout for interesting bits of watch history and brands that are new to me.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: The

Post by nbg »

smegwina wrote:
blowfish89 wrote:I'm getting concerned as to why I am starting to like big watches :headbash:
Pams are supremely clear and easy to read, with probably the most devoted and fanatical owners on the planet. The sheer volume of accessories is mindblowing. They also look just fantastic on the wrist, but there is no denying they are big buggers. The CG and clear dial means that they wear large, and the cushion case exaggerates the issue.

I love big watches and if you can carry it off, they are fantastic. 44mm is a big old sod but the 47mm is feking huge!

(I can only pass comment on the Submersibles here as that is what I had, but I assume the same applies for the Luminors. I have never worn a Radiomir so they may look completely different on the wrist)

Prices are pretty reasonable at the moment too !

I say go for it!
I had always dismissed Pams as too big for my 6.75" wrist - but then I realised that they produce a few at 40mm and 42mm, such as the PAM00512 - manual, in-house movement, the slimmest watch and movement that Panerai produce, display back, 42mm, no crown guards, no date window, 100m WR, and fits me perfectly.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK