What do you guys think of this watch?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Re: What do you guys think of this watch?

Post by El Tiempo »

peterh wrote: But under adverse circumstances, I can't be bothered to wear an automatic watch. Quartz is so much more dependable, and less prone to mechanical failure.
Where can I get more info on this? Has someone done a study or something?
m500dpp
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by m500dpp »

Where can I get more info on this? Has someone done a study or something?
Think its just logical, quartz are mainly solid state so no moving parts, so less prone to shock damage. My casios, even the non G shock ones have lasted forever, and are used when i work on my cars, lots of hammering and all sorts of unwatch friendly activities, but they just keep going. I gave the last one away in desparation as I needed an excuse to buy another!!!

My short vision has gone now, so reading glasses are needed I find analogue is the only watch I can read without glasses and white hands againsta black background is easiest, followed by black hands on white background.

I have a fake rolex daytona with chrome hands on a silver background, almost totally unreadable for me!!!
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

But when you are at base camp about to climb Mt. Everest, won't that battery fail at those temperatures? I would think a mechanical would stand a chance. Although maybe not as the temperature might cause the parts to contract enough that they can't move smoothly enough...and that is assuming it doesn't freeze altogether.

Now that is a jab! :lol:
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

joerattz wrote:But when you are at base camp about to climb Mt. Everest, won't that battery fail at those temperatures? I would think a mechanical would stand a chance. Although maybe not as the temperature might cause the parts to contract enough that they can't move smoothly enough...and that is assuming it doesn't freeze altogether.

You are hereby admitted to the Camp Of Professional Worriers(TM) :mg:
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

peterh wrote:
joerattz wrote:But when you are at base camp about to climb Mt. Everest, won't that battery fail at those temperatures? I would think a mechanical would stand a chance. Although maybe not as the temperature might cause the parts to contract enough that they can't move smoothly enough...and that is assuming it doesn't freeze altogether.

You are hereby admitted to the Camp Of Professional Worriers(TM) :mg:
Been there...doing that. The sitcom Everyone Loves Raymond has an excellent episode about worrying. Ray buys his father an aquarium for some gift...birthday, father's day...something. His dad doesn't like the gift and gives Ray a hard time about it. Ray eventually finds out his dad's problem is because the gift is too expensive and it makes the dad feel bad that his son is so much more successful than he was (which to me is fairly unrealistic in that most fathers I know what their children to exceed them). At the end, Ray and his wife are talking and she tells him that at least he doesn't have to worry about it for another year. He responds that she doesn't understand worrying. The birthday (or father's day) being a year away means he has a whole year to worry about it. That's the camp I am in.
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20