RAF AD Astra

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

RAF AD Astra

Post by Kip »

CWL is pleased to announce they have partnered with the RAF and hopes to be releasing these Limited Editions around June

1. The official watch to Commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain limited to 1940 pieces and based on the pilot watch designs of that year.

2. The modern RAF watch for personnel, past and present and for public consumption.

3. On top of this we also have agreements to produce watches for the individual squadrons of the RAF … the first off the Press are for the Typhoon squadron, Tornado Squadron, Sea King Squadron, and the just completed Merlin Force….

All we have so far are these dial drawings. I have already suggested to Chris that he put the gold seal on the red dial.

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Re: RAF AD Astra

Post by alphajet »

These dials look like they are based on the C7, I would love to see an automatic version, but being ex RAF would probably buy a quartz anyway. :D

I like the look of that red dial too Kip and would also like to see the RAF emblem in gold as on the 3rd dial. :D
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Lamps
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lamps »

I like the first one the best, but that maybe due to the fact it has a Mod look and would go well with my Vespa.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by alphajet »

lamppo_the_GasFitter wrote:I like the first one the best, but that maybe due to the fact it has a Mod look and would go well with my Vespa.
Would look good with a Ben Sherman shirt. :lol:
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Interesting...

Like 1 and 3. These have potential ...
[edit]... but I have never been in the RAF... better ask those who are/have been.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Like the idea of the gold crest on the red dial...that said,if it is based on the C7 and thus quartz it wouldn't be for me.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Bonny
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Bonny »

I'll have number 1 please, with the gold crest on it. Fabulous.
C4SRS C3SWK C2LE No.24 C7STT C15RKK C5AKK C3GWTR C40SKK C70GB C600IPB C600IPY C60-GMT-SKKO C70FR C5RWT C9-CHR C8SWK C11 Auto C60 Jag C7 MkII BRG C90
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

I used to be in the RAF but I cannot say I am overly keen on this type of commemorative watch. Maybe I will like the finished product.
Andyft21
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by Andyft21 »

CornishDave wrote:I used to be in the RAF but I cannot say I am overly keen on this type of commemorative watch. Maybe I will like the finished product.
+1, although I think they will sell well.
Andy
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Galton321 »

Like number 3, Number 2 too plain. Numbr 1, don't like the roundel at the six o'clock. Seems a bit redundant given the whole watch face is an RAF roundel.
Typhoon
Senior
Senior

Post by Typhoon »

In what way are they based on 1940'2 era pilots watches? no way are they! If you want raf pilots watches of that era check google, you'll find if anything they are more akin to the C5 especially some of the Omega ones. Definitely not a chronograph. Or if your more interested in Luftwaffe watches? check out the lange and sohne, stowa etc. I'm serving myself and I find them a little too tacky. They would probably be good for people with an interest but I think that a more subtle design would be preferable.
Christopher Ward:
C4 RCAF, C5 Aviator

Other:
Breitling Top Time, Raketa Glasnost, MWC Military Style Chrono, Accurist Dress Watch
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by alphajet »

Typhoon wrote:In what way are they based on 1940'2 era pilots watches? no way are they! If you want raf pilots watches of that era check google, you'll find if anything they are more akin to the C5 especially some of the Omega ones. Definitely not a chronograph. Or if your more interested in Luftwaffe watches? check out the lange and sohne, stowa etc. I'm serving myself and I find them a little too tacky. They would probably be good for people with an interest but I think that a more subtle design would be preferable.
I think the pics shown are for 2. The modern RAF watch for personnel, past and present and for public consumption.
Typhoon
Senior
Senior

Post by Typhoon »

alphajet wrote:
Typhoon wrote:In what way are they based on 1940'2 era pilots watches? no way are they! If you want raf pilots watches of that era check google, you'll find if anything they are more akin to the C5 especially some of the Omega ones. Definitely not a chronograph. Or if your more interested in Luftwaffe watches? check out the lange and sohne, stowa etc. I'm serving myself and I find them a little too tacky. They would probably be good for people with an interest but I think that a more subtle design would be preferable.
I think the pics shown are for 2. The modern RAF watch for personnel, past and present and for public consumption.

Ah that makes more sense!
Christopher Ward:
C4 RCAF, C5 Aviator

Other:
Breitling Top Time, Raketa Glasnost, MWC Military Style Chrono, Accurist Dress Watch
Skypilot617
CW-watches: 6

Post by Skypilot617 »

CWL is pleased to announce they have partnered with the RAF and hopes to be releasing these Limited Editions around June

1. The official watch to Commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain limited to 1940 pieces and based on the pilot watch designs of that year.
Any public info available on this yet?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Skypilot617 wrote:

Any public info available on this yet?
Watch the CWL website. Probable info this week.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.