The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

A place to discuss other watch-brands
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Re: The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

Post by blowfish89 »

I like that Minimatik too, I think it is the perfect buy-for-your-wife-but-wear-it-yourself watch.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i've seen pictures that make those numbers look much more blue than that.

i'm not so sure about it with the blue numbers/markers.
the "g" is for Greg...
f1humlam

Post by f1humlam »

http://www.omegawatches.com/baselworld- ... edmaster57 This piece is just beautiful. Start the saving now.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Big fan of the minimatik, I thought the ahoi atlantik would be the Nomos I went for if I got another one but I think this would now be it.

But this is the watch I'm drooling over right now, I know it's a bit of a marmite watch especially the PCLs but I tried it on recently and loved it.

gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

it does sit nicely on the wrist (although not as nicely on the wallet).
the "g" is for Greg...
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I was back on the Nomos Club trail (again) today, popping in an AD to try one out for the third time. I keep trying to persuade myself I can live with the extended lugs. The dial is absolutely gorgeous. On the wrist it looks ok:

But the 47mm (or so) lug-to-lug feels slightly awkward in comparison with the small diameter. I'll probably give in to it, buy it, and quickly get used to it. But it's still a bit of a hurdle.

I've also been considering a 36mm Rolex Explorer, but in most of the pictures I've seen the numerals and case look too shiny and blingy for me. So I popped in an AD to see the 39mm version, so I could cross it off for good, and thus focus my attention on the Nomos. Unfortunately it didn't feel too shiny at all, in fact it looked absolutely great. I'll therefore have to find a 36mm one now to wrist-test.

It's a hard life.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

atnits, you may like the new LE blue dial Nomos Club (see here - http://www.timelessluxwatches.com/brand ... ss-edition)
Also, I must try on an Explorer.
Serlo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Serlo »

blowfish89 wrote:atnits, you may like the new LE blue dial Nomos Club (see here - http://www.timelessluxwatches.com/brand ... ss-edition)
Also, I must try on an Explorer.
As much as I like the blue dial, this watch is just too big for me. It is the 38,5mm version and I fear that the lugs ar just as long (or even longer?) than the ones of the small club. At the current exchange rate, it would be around €2500 and I can get the regular version, if I liked it, for €1760 here in Austria. I don't know why, but I have got the feeling that Nomos is going to discontinue this model. So many versions have disappeared, like the dunkel versions that were available in all sizes. I am glad now that I went for the small dunkel.

@Atnits: If you like it, go for it. Yes, the lugs are long, but the watch wears comfortably. It is my worst worn watch and I love it to bits. Imho, according to your wrist shot, the watch is perfect for you. Just have the strap exchanged for a shorter one - like me - and you're ready to go.

Having said that, I really like the Explorer. In my eyes it is the perfect and timeless watch, well, it is the epitome of a watch. The only thing that has kept me from buying one is that so many people like this watch... :silent:
Andreas
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

atnits wrote:I was back on the Nomos Club trail (again) today, popping in an AD to try one out for the third time. I keep trying to persuade myself I can live with the extended lugs. The dial is absolutely gorgeous. On the wrist it looks ok:

But the 47mm (or so) lug-to-lug feels slightly awkward in comparison with the small diameter. I'll probably give in to it, buy it, and quickly get used to it. But it's still a bit of a hurdle.

I've also been considering a 36mm Rolex Explorer, but in most of the pictures I've seen the numerals and case look too shiny and blingy for me. So I popped in an AD to see the 39mm version, so I could cross it off for good, and thus focus my attention on the Nomos. Unfortunately it didn't feel too shiny at all, in fact it looked absolutely great. I'll therefore have to find a 36mm one now to wrist-test.

It's a hard life.
One more vote for the club here. Once I put it on leather nato I really admire it every time wear it. The Dunkel is nice but the cream club is the club for me . Always thought Blue would look cool but it doesn't seem to suit it too well, a sky blue might have been better.

Why an explorer though? Why not a cheaper airking with explorer dial? Then you have more colour choice and less expense.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Thanks for the comments, guys; it all helps! I think as I've got more into this watch malarkey, I've become more and more fussy. Thus the hurdle of the long lugs. I've thought a lot about an Air King instead of an Explorer, but I prefer the 36mm size rather than 34mm. It's come down to crucial millimetres nowadays! I'm popping to London in a week, so I'll get the chance to try a 36mm Explorer. And the Nomos AD are seeing if they can provide the smaller strap on the Club.

Of course, the other consideration is money. The Club is doable, with the loss of one or 2 others in my collection (unless I find one second-hand; I keep looking). The Explorer would require an almost complete clear-out of my watches.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

Look at the rotor.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

the recent Nomos pictures had me going back to them (again!) and I discovered this:

Now everyone knows that I am a sucker for white watches, but I think the black Metro is very very nice.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Peteo wrote:the recent Nomos pictures had me going back to them (again!) and I discovered this:

Now everyone knows that I am a sucker for white watches, but I think the black Metro is very very nice.
I quite agree, Pete. The Metro has really grown on me recently - in all 3 variants. Shame there is a 3-6 month wait for these at present though.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

welshlad wrote: I quite agree, Pete. The Metro has really grown on me recently - in all 3 variants. Shame there is a 3-6 month wait for these at present though.
Gives you some time to save up! Assuming they take payment at shipping anyway.

Too many candidates for the next purchase. Gotta start getting smarter about cutting the list down.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
omegaaddict
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by omegaaddict »

Rolex explorer II 16570...
Rolex: Explorer II 16570, OP 39mm
Omega: Speedmaster M. Schumacher LE, AT 8500
CW: C11 makaira, C900 WT
Hamilton Khaki King
Revue Thommen Air Speed, Louis Erard Heritage Automatic, Glycine Combat, Zodiac sea dragon, Aramar Arctic Marine