Ah crud! Have I botched it already??

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Ah crud! Have I botched it already??

Post by gatehealing »

My new (new to me) Kemmner has a Miyota 9015 in it. In looking for the TPD to set my winder at, I saw that it is counterclockwise only. So I set winder to that. And it stopped after about 40 hrs. I wound it up and it's running, but I'm concerned as I found the actual spec sheet for the 9015, and it's actually CLOCKWISE, not counterclockwise!!--will 40 hrs of wrong direction winding mess anything up? I know pendulum can go both directions with normal wear, but I don't know enough about unidirectional movements to know if I should take it in to get looked at

Hoping I'm just over paranoid of my new piece!

Thanks everybody!
Jon
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Ah crud! Have I botched it already??

Post by downer »

Of course it will not harm the watch. It would be pretty inconvenient to wear a watch that was harmed by anti-clockwise motion...
Richard
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gatehealing »

Ha! Yes it would! I was more concerned about 40 straight hours of only the wrong direction...still sounds silly, but better safe than sorry.

I changed my winder...
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

gatehealing wrote:Ha! Yes it would! I was more concerned about 40 straight hours of only the wrong direction...still sounds silly, but better safe than sorry.

I changed my winder...
But still, it was only 40 hours at a specific TPD, so nothing extraordinary in the life of a watch.
Richard
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gatehealing »

Whew!
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

One way only just means that the winding weight only does it job in one direction. All that's happened is that your watch hasn't been wound up. One way winds, the other way is just a freewheel.
There's always time for one more.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

gatehealing wrote:My new (new to me) Kemmner has a Miyota 9015 in it. In looking for the TPD to set my winder at, I saw that it is counterclockwise only. So I set winder to that. And it stopped after about 40 hrs. I wound it up and it's running, but I'm concerned as I found the actual spec sheet for the 9015, and it's actually CLOCKWISE, not counterclockwise!!
I think that counterclockwise is the direction of winding when looking at the rotor side of the movement (the back). If you're looking at the dial side of the watch (as it is when mounted on a winder), it would be the reverse - clockwise.

Would that explain the disparity between the spec sheet and the winder rotation?
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier