A place to discuss other watch-brands
KAW
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Re: Wow, this is a can of worms…

Post by KAW »

smegwina wrote:
Dancematt wrote:How do you know Dealers haven't bought pre owned stolen goods?
You don't!

One would hope though that they would have greater access to information about stolen serials, and if you are unlucky enough to get a hot one from a dealer, there are commercial rules regs and sales of goods acts that ensure you will be recompensed as a matter of course.
Yes, I'd be surprised if a dealer didn't thoroughly authenticate any item they acquired but then, as you say, they're probably granted access to the relevant databases anyway.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

KAW wrote: Yes, I'd be surprised if a dealer didn't thoroughly authenticate any item they acquired but then, as you say, they're probably granted access to the relevant databases anyway.
Not 'unauthorised' dealers such as Black Bough or Watchfinder. Apparently only official Rolex authorised dealers have access to this sacred database that allows a private Swiss company to withhold property in the UK, in what seems to me, contravention of the law. Unless Rolex have some special legal dispensation to withhold property, I can't see how they can? But that's what they've done. It's very confusing and I'd be interested in the actual legal position of this action.

I know Rolex have no intention of keeping the watch, but if I walk into a secondhand shop and try to sell an antique, for instance, and the shop has a private database that shows it was stolen, can the shop then keep that antique from me? They might give me a piece of official looking paper which says it will be investigated by their legal department, but under what law?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

i'm thinking perhaps of the scenario where you try to use a credit card and there's some question over whether it's yours. a phone call is made to the credit card company, and they then instruct the store to withold the card and not give you it back. (this happened to me!).
in any case it wasn't particularly clear from the thread so far what the police involvement has been - perhaps they have instructed that the watch be retained?

in any case, this will have a long way to run, and i'm sure it's in the best interest of the current and previous 'owners' to take advice from a solicitor.

a horrible situation for all concerned (aside of course, from the original owner!)
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

It'sAliveJim wrote:...a private Swiss company to withhold property in the UK, in what seems to me, contravention of the law. Unless Rolex have some special legal dispensation to withhold property, I can't see how they can? But that's what they've done. It's very confusing and I'd be interested in the actual legal position of this action. ...
Obviously Rolex do not actually sell you a watch. You rent it. So it's still their property. What you think of as a purchase price is really just the hire charge. Obvious only explanation :wink: :D
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Terrible situation for the innocent parties involved. So with no access to the database, other than to ADs, to me this means only buy a 2nd hand Rolex with Full B&P and a recent service receipt addressed to the retailer you are buying from?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK