Bremont and a Citizen movement ??

A place to discuss other watch-brands
KAW
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Re: Bremont and a Citizen movement ??

Post by KAW »

bootsy wrote:Indeed it would only take 5 years or so. Nothing that hard :)

When I said easier to service I meant that more people would be experienced with the base ETA movement than their "new" design.
Ah I see, although I suspect Omega's early troubles with the 2500 co-axials explains why no one else has tried to adapt a mass produced movement to the co-axial escapement, regardless of the servicing benefits. Besides, what's wrong with the good ol' lever escapement anyway? Wasn't it also invented by a British watchmaker - Thomas Mudge - and ultimately perfected by another - George Savage? :)
bootsy
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by bootsy »

KAW wrote: Besides, what's wrong with the good ol' lever escapement anyway? Wasn't it also invented by a British watchmaker - Thomas Mudge - and ultimately perfected by another - George Savage? :)
Indeed, I think they are making life a lot harder than they needed to. What's wrong with an ETA clone, it's perfectly legal to do so.

If only they could find the Smiths machinary assuming it hasn't rusted to pieces. You'd be up and running with an in-house in weeks......
codeture
Senior
Senior

Post by codeture »

Does it means Prothor Holding SA is running like Sellita (cloning ETA)? It just seems that Bremont movement is slightly different (they may have decorated it)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

codeture wrote:Does it means Prothor Holding SA is running like Sellita (cloning ETA)? It just seems that Bremont movement is slightly different (they may have decorated it)
No. The movement in question is made by La Joux-Perret and is a modification of an existing LJP movement. It has nothing to do with ETA or Sellita movements.

The fact that the LJP is a subsidiary of Citizen Watch Co has caused some people to make a strange and faintly ridiculous connection, which is like saying that The Houses of Parliament is owned by Spain because the Prime Minister has a mortgage with Santander. :roll:
Richard
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

Arnold and Son had previously used it in their Dead Beat Seconds Watch ableit with modification.
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
codeture
Senior
Senior

Post by codeture »

downer wrote:The fact that the LJP is a subsidiary of Citizen Watch Co has caused some people to make a strange and faintly ridiculous connection, which is like saying that The Houses of Parliament is owned by Spain because the Prime Minister has a mortgage with Santander. :roll:
Thank you for clarifying. It seems that Citizen is really huge now.

Anyway, the parliament story is hilarious. I just heard it. :roll: