extra bank holiday

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Peacefrog
Senior
Senior

extra bank holiday

Post by Peacefrog »

Please support the campaign for an extra Bank Holiday.

I have.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/73236
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: extra bank holiday

Post by reggie747 »

We've already got 9 this year.
What do you want another one for ???

Also, I don't actually work in a BANK either and if I don't work, I don't get paid - Rule #1 of self employment.
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
ETFH
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by ETFH »

You could just move to Scotland, I'm pretty sure they have more public holidays than England.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I'll take St Georges day off and birthdays, but ive no objection to another bank holiday, good for those long weekends away.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

We Taffs have been pressing for years for 1st March to be a Holiday in Wales -St David's Day.
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

Wow... a massive 12 people agree with this so far but that might be to do with the p' poor justification. Those 12 probably only want the extra day to take down all the stringy lights they've put round their gables, gutters and garden pots rather than to celebrate Epiphany itself. Not happening, even if 11 other European countries do it.
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

I'll support it... if it gets called something else!

Actually, if the proposed holiday is to be specifically linked to the christian notion of visiting magi then the reference in the petition title to there being three of them needs to be altered - that isn't in the book ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

AliBar wrote:Wow... a massive 12 people agree with this so far but that might be to do with the p' poor justification. Those 12 probably only want the extra day to take down all the stringy lights they've put round their gables, gutters and garden pots rather than to celebrate Epiphany itself. Not happening, even if 11 other European countries do it.
Most European countries have more bank holidays than us on paper, but they rarely do the weekend deferral thing that we do so it all sort of evens out.
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

even as a Christian, that is a really poor justification - other countries celebrate Epiphany rather than Christmas day... it also doesn't work at a logical / commercial level
- December is focused on end of calendar / business year - also on Christmas etc.
- there is then a period of time with Christmas holidays and a gentle space and then New Year
- January is generally back to work and focused on the year ahead
To have another holiday a few days later would simply be disruptive (in a negative way)

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I am a real fan of bank holidays as they are days that I get peace and quiet in the studio. Clients, contractors, consultants and staff all take advantage of them to kick back and relax and do things other than work. However, adding another one in at the end of an already long period of fun and relaxation and lack of focus from my point of view, is not a good idea, notwithstanding the desire to observe an event that was dreamt up by the author of that particular chapter of the Book. The other element to this that rankles is a member of parliament starting an e-petition to add another day of holiday, when he must know it will have a pecuniary effect on banks, employers and businesses overall. Peace and quiet aside, I am all for keeping the first day back in the new year as close to new years day as possible.
JAG
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAG »

theaub wrote:We Taffs have been pressing for years for 1st March to be a Holiday in Wales -St David's Day.
Have we lol ;-) Mrs J would enjoy another bank holiday , As she always works bank "emergency cover" on holiday times like she did Christmas & new year & as we don't have kids it's just another day & loads of £ for her.
My spelling & Grammar stinks i no you don't have to PM me to Explain ! :-)
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Think we have enough bank holidays of any kind but if we did have another, would prefer it to be non-religious, maybe Trafalgar day or similar.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Just to clarify, we're talking about public holidays? I'd like to think that we're no longer so reliant on the banks that if they don't open for a day we have to close our businesses :-)

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson