Finally, a birth year watch

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Finally, a birth year watch

Post by Fnew »

Well, I finally got myself a birth year watch. It's a 1967 Seiko Business A that looks like it doesn't need a whole lot of cleaning. I don't have the actual watch yet but here are a few photos from the auction.

I'll post some better pics once I actually get the watch along with why I chose a Seiko.
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Finally, a birth year watch

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

That looks very nice, Fred! Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

Super watch Fred, great pick up. I must do the same one day, looking forward to your photographs. :D
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Fnew »

Thanks guys. I'm currently playing the waiting game. I'm hoping that based on the pictures all it needs is a light polish to the crystal. I'm gonna wear it a bit and then probably send it off for service as the seller does not know when it was last performed.
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Well done Fred :)
It's a nice looking Seiko.
Enjoy it.
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by bspj »

Well done Fred.
I've always fancied a birth year watch, never got round to it.
I hope it lives up to expectations.
Steve
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

grats.

interesting name, "Business A." i don't think i've seen that moniker before.

i looked for a while a couple of years ago for a birth year watch that wasn't too expensive (one that i will eventually replace with something nice, and that i rarely wear any more). i ended up with a citizen ace, but i came close to buying a couple of seiko options as well. i don't remember seeing a "business a" back then, tho.
the "g" is for Greg...
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Fnew »

gwells wrote:grats.

interesting name, "Business A." i don't think i've seen that moniker before.

i looked for a while a couple of years ago for a birth year watch that wasn't too expensive (one that i will eventually replace with something nice, and that i rarely wear any more). i ended up with a citizen ace, but i came close to buying a couple of seiko options as well. i don't remember seeing a "business a" back then, tho.
Greg, from what I've been able to find out, they were made from the mid 60s to either 1969 or 70. Most of the models I have seen were either 27 or 30 jewels. Looks like they run at 5bps. What I haven't been able to find yet is where they fit in the Seiko model line up.
Fred

Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

I like that a lot, congratulations on a really nice find there.
That's two Seikos on here today I have not seen before.

Still looking for my birth year watch (1966) and would like either a Bellmatic or Smiths ideally
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Great looking Seiko Fred , the 60s what a great decade :thumbup:
Bernie
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Fnew »

Did a little more digging and this is essentially all I have been able to find.

- Business: (Sub-brand) - ( aka Bell-matic and Business A) The Business brand was used on a few Japanese market Bellmatics during the late 1960s, which were powered by the 4006 Bellmatic caliber (Business Bell) and the 27j 8306/46 Seikomatic caliber. This sub-brand seems to have been part of a short marketing campaign intended to emphasize the attractiveness of Seiko watches to the Japanese “salary-man”.

So, I'm guessing that I have purchased a Japanese market only Seiko aimed straight at the office worker. That makes perfect sense since it has "Business" right on the dial. I wonder exactly where the "A" in "Business A" fits in though?
Fred

Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robin CB »

Very nice Fred - a classic style with Seiko solidity :thumbup:
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Fnew »

Bumping up an old thead here. I finally heard back from Spencer Klein and he has finished the work on my watch. I should have it back sometime next week. When it finally arrives I'll post the requisite pics and a write up of what has transpired. Based on the way Spencer has gone on and on about the watch I can't wait to get it back!
Fred

MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Looking forward to seeing the photos when it arrives back to you Fred ;)
Moccers
Senior
Senior

Post by Moccers »

Very tidy looking watch Fred......

U have got me thinking about what was big in world of watches during my birth year? What was Bond wearing etc ?, Any suggestions for 1964 ??

Steve
CW C60 Trident COSC , C3 Lotus Seven Club , C60 Trident COSC 600
C7 Rapide Chronograph MK II - v390
Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Red
Seiko 5 Sports Scurfa Diver Silicon One
Seiko SBDC007 "Shogun"
Seiko SKX007K1
Victorinox 241443