The Omega Constellation co axial 38mm Watch Review

A place to discuss other watch-brands
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

The Omega Constellation co axial 38mm Watch Review

Post by tempusmaximus »

To a degree, this watch review comes on the brink of when Omega has promised to release a re - designed Constellation watch collection next year in 2015 , that said , the current collection is from more or less 2007 , and like the de ville helped launch Omega's new in - house made movements. As such these two models each contain 8500/8600 series in house made automatic movements.Review from a blog to watch.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-const ... ch-review/
Bernie
andyg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: The Omega Constellation co axial 38mm Watch Review

Post by andyg »

The styling is still stuck in the Eighties, with a slight update.

I really think that by looking back to the Connie's hayday (the 60's) Omega could produce another world beating watch.

But I'm not sure the very thick Co Axial movement is the way to go with it.
Andy

Each of us will face this question at least once in a year.

"Why do you have so many watches? You can only wear one at a time!"
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

I don't like the bezel... but the rest I do ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

i agree with andy, it's stuck in the 80s. and stuck in a bad way. the old school connies were nice, but this is just an unattractive watch, in my eyes. and it looks like it's confused as to what its purpose is.
the "g" is for Greg...
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Oh God no, what have they done? :shock:

I've been looking at the old Constellations and thinking one would fit nicely in the collection, but that is just hideous. I'd take the movement out and throw the rest away :?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

andyg wrote:The styling is still stuck in the Eighties, with a slight update.
Agreed. A colleague of mine wears a quartz Constellation that he was given as a graduation present back in the early 90s. I don't like to tell him but it is sooooo bland. :(
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:A colleague of mine wears a quartz Constellation that he was given as a graduation present back in the early 90s. I don't like to tell him but it is sooooo bland. :(
He now knows. As for this offering it does not excite except in part I like the dial.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I agree - the dial is fine, but the bezel ruins it.
Richard
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Urm, no. can't fault the detail, quality or movement but no.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Having seen one in the metal, I kind of like it (the steel one on bracelet) but I am interested to see what they release next year. They've been doing some good retro releases lately... My speedy MkII re-release is a nice one...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

I also agree about the bezel . :(

But will be looking forward to see what they release next year :D
Bernie
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Next.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Dooku
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by Dooku »

That bezel is hideous 8O :thumbdown:
C60-TRI-SKS, C60-TRI-SKOS, C700 SKSI, C10 FLE 2013, C8 MK II, C9 Auto SST, C5 Malvern MK I, RSL04 by Steffen, Tissot T035410 A, Junghans Trilastic, Precista Wyler, Orient Bambino, Festina F16184, ODT OT1029, Ingersoll Richmond, Skagen 509XXLSM
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

Yes I've read all the comments here and elsewhere ! I'm fully aware.... nobody else likes these ! I think I've even tried not to like them myself on many occasions. I've told myself I want a dive watch. Or a chrono. Or a Rolex. I've tried them all at one time or another and they've all been sold on. And so I found myself reading this..

https://quillandpad.com/2020/02/24/omeg ... of-design/

And then I started looking about. I had a couple of >41mm
watches that I just wasn't enjoying wearing on my 7" wrist size anymore, I was always gravitating back to my 39mm Sealander and 38mm Alpinist, or my 39mm GS. I'd found the sweet spot for me and it was in the sub 40mm 'other' watches category. Other watches being anything other than divers or chronos. I'd read this Fratello article too, and it really resonated.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/stop-ca ... -one/#gref

And so I do the fateful thing and look on watchfinder. I've used them before and had good experience. Sitting there, unloved as ever, is a 4 month old 38mm all steel constellation co axial, for less than a new Bel Canto. (I say 4 months, it must've sat in the dealer for several years after it was made, waiting patiently!) So I send in my 'oversize watches' and wait. Not for long, a couple of days later I get the email and yes they'll gladly 'swap' a black bay 41 and a bremont for the omega. The watch soon arrives and looks to be completely unworn and comes with all its red omega warranty and numbered cards showing over 4.5 years warranty left. It quickly settles into a steady +2.5spd. And..... I love it. In the 80s I was just entering the world of work when the first manhattan models landed.. so it took me a while to get here! The sizing feels perfect and the case shape and bracelet simply flow in a stunning way. The divisive bezel seems far less obvious in the metal than in pictures, and the griffs/claws likewise, I think they add interest without being too showy (ML Aikon?) . Needless to say the finish, the lustre and brushing are top notch. The slightly domed sapphire is almost invisible and shows off the patterned dial and applied indices just wonderfully. Around the back, the co axial movement is on show and is standard Omega equipment nowadays.

Whilst I've fallen for this watch as it is, having spent some time with it , and considering recent integrated bracelet trends (PRX!) I have to wonder if these omegas would jump up the sales charts if Omega replaced the Romans with Arabics and removed the claws ? With 100m of WR and the practical brushed finish it would instantly fall into the beloved steel sports category, which is where I personally see it as I happily walk my dog sporting it at the beach!

Now, I know I'm not changing anyone's mind and I'm not trying to either. But before you all let rip, maybe wander into the AD and ask to try one. If nothing else it'll be fun to hear the assistant say, did you mean the speedmaster? No, this is Omegas best value best kept open secret ....
20230204_102008.jpg
20230204_102443.jpg
20230204_102458.jpg
These users thanked the author 5oclockhero for the post (total 2):
thomcat00asqwerth
Deej
Senior
Senior

Post by Deej »

I'm a fan!